315 Is this your worst nightmare come true?

Comments

Tom Garrett 8 months, 4 weeks ago

You are a severely depressed woman of 41 who has been prescribed both Xanax and Benadryl. Found at home and unresponsive by your mother, you are rushed to the hospital, where the recommendation is that you be treated with activated charcoal to keep the drugs from being absorbed.

The staff however, fails to follow through on that, and so your body slows down, down, down. You are diagnosed with irreversible brain damage and then pronounced dead, but an experienced nurse tries a routine reflex test to see if you curl your toes when the bottoms of your soles are touched.

You do.

The nurse goes on to other tests. She checks whether or not you can move your tongue and mouth, flare your nostrils,and breathe on your own. You can. In fact, despite being on a respirator, you are starting to breathe on your own.

The nurse writes a report. It is ignored.

Without doing the required tests and brain scans, doctors tell your family you have irreversible brain damage. Believing you to be beyond help, your family agrees to allow you to be taken off life support, and donates your organs.

Even off life support you open your eyes and find you are in an operating room, staring up at brights lights while doctors standing over you, armed with scalpels and other operating tools, are just seconds from cutting into you and harvesting your organs while you are still alive.

Yes, the hospital has been fined--a puny $6,000, not one penny of which went to the patient or her family.

The Health Department says the hospital's quality assurance program did not do an objective peer review and root cause analysis until the Department of Health itself stepped in. In fact, no review was done at all until the Health Department made a surprise visit.

The Health Department report adds, "The patient did not suffer a cardiopulmonary arrest and did not have irreversible brain damage. The patient did not meet criteria for withdrawal of care."

I hope to tell you!

Whether or not finding yourself pronounced dead and about to be salvaged for parts had anything to do with it or not I do not know, but the woman, who suffered from severe depression, committed suicide two years later. . . . . . Reported by Fox News reporting about St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center, Syracuse, New York, July 9, 2013.

Hard to believe, but true.

Ronald Hamric 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Tom, I suppose you are well familiar with all the data. Seems our health care industry kills far more people through such malpractice as demonstrated in the article above, than does firearms of all stripes. But then they are politically connected and us poor law abiding citizens are just simple minded folks clinging to our Bibles and guns.......

Tom Garrett 8 months, 3 weeks ago

I tell you, Ron, want to read and eye-opener? Get a book called "The Making of a Pscychiatrist." It'll really make you think. I've been lucky all my life; always have had really good doctors, but the ones in that hospital? They must have been some of the guys I went through college with. I wanted to know as much as I could, so I took the pre-med classes, which are always set a notch or two higher than the regular classes with the same names.

You know what some of those clowns told me one day? "Hey, Garrett! Lighten up on the tests, will you? You're setting the curve too high."

I wasn't doing anything special. I just didn't spend my evenings at the Keg, the on campus pub. I took a few minutes to read what I was supposed to read. I remember one morning. We were all sitting in the hall, stretched out along the wall outside the Comparative Anatomy lab. They were all worrying about the test we were about to take. You had to know the names of, and recognize, hundreds of tiny little bits of flesh sitting in trays in the lab.

They quit worrying about the test after a while and started talking about the five hours they had spent in the Keg the night before. Then one of them turned to me and asked me how Ithought the test was going to be. I said I didn't know and one of the others said, "Oh, don't worry about him; he'll ace another one."

The first guy looked at me and asked the perfect question."How the hell do you do it, Garrett?"

"I got the word Ken. What he told me works every time."

I had heard them mention Ken a hundred times; he was a bartender at the Keg. Suddenly they were all ears. "You did? You did? What'd he say? What'd he say?"

He said, "Don't come here when you're supposed to be studying for a test."

Tell you what, Ron, as I said, my doctors have always been the best, but if I had met one of those guys in a doctor's office I'd have been clinging to my gun and my Bible all right! :-)

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.