319 Last state in union okays concealed weapons.

Comments

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

I'll make this short and swift.

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013, the last state in the union which did not have a concealed carry law passed one. Illinois became the last state in the U.S. to legalize carrying concealed weapons after the state legislature overrode a veto by Democratic Governor Pat Quinn by a vote of 41-17 in the Senate and 77-31 in the House.

This is not a "may approve" law like the Sulliivan Law in New York State. It is a "will approve" law. The law requires that residents to be issued a Firearm Owner's Identification card after they have passed a background check and completed a gun safety training course.

The law has the longest training requirement, 16 hours, and the permit costs $150. The law does not permit guns in schools, libraries, parks, and mass transit buses and trains, nor does it allow them in any restaurant which makes more than 50% of its gross from liquor sales, but there is now no state without a concealed carry law.

The Governor made an odd statement after the law was passed over his veto:

"I believe in gun safety, and I'm going to always speak out about that. I don't think people should have their lives and property harmed by people with loaded concealed weapons who don't, under the law, deserve to have them," he told the Chicago Tribune.

Anybody care to show why that statement makes absolutely no sense? Have fun.

Pat Randall 9 months ago

I think in Arizona you can still carry a gun without a permit as long as it is in plain sight. Not concealed. I liked it better that way. You could see who was packing a gun and leave from where they were if you wanted. Several years ago I went into Chase Bank which was still Valley National Bank to make a deposit. A man came in with a gun in plain sight and got into a different line. I turned around and walked out the door. I didn't know what he might do and I didn't want to see him do it. I want to be able to see the weapon. I am against concealed weapons. I remember when most people up here that had pickups had rifle racks in the back windows and I was not at all afraid. Why do people want to hide them if they are not up to something? I don't care what kind of checkup they had done on them.

Ronald Hamric 9 months ago

Pat, You are way behind the curve on the gun issue. It is legal to carry open or concealed in Arizona without having a permit of any kind as long as you are of legal age, and not one of the "forbidden class". Can even take them into bars or dining establishments that serve alcohol as long as the person "carrying" doesn't drink. Those establishments can forbid the carrying on their premises if they post a sign as required. I maintain my CCP so that I can legally carry in states that have reciprocity with Arizona, no other reason. The reason I carry concealed is to keep from having the spineless masses from crapping their drawers whenever they even see a person carrying. An awful lot of people who have relocated here or are simply passing through have a coronary when in the presence of any type of firearm. So, out of sight, out of mind. Besides, the countryside would literally stink from all the soiling of drawers that would take place if most of us that carry,open carried. As you have been quite clear as to your views, other views have prevailed in this state.

Pat Randall 9 months ago

Ron, I guess I am behind on the gun laws, if what you said is right. When we owned the bar in Punkin Center guns were not allowed in bars, except for the owner or person tending bar could have one. Personally I am as afraid of someone coming in with a big knife on their belt. If someone came in with one I always asked them to take them out to their car. If they didn't want to, I told them to leave NOW. I don't think alcohol and weapons mix. Yes. I know a pool cue stick can be a weapon, a glass beer pitcher or almost anything but you can get away from them. We had plastic beer pitchers and plastic ashtrays. In seven years I only had to call the law three times. Once was because of employees fighting, one fight was two women and I would never try to stop women fighting. You can get hurt that way. If you are watching you can see trouble starting and then is the time to step in. I am 5ft 1in and weighed about 125 lbs at the time but when I walked between two men wanting to fight they either left or started laughing and it was all over. I don't know why anyone needs to carry a gun unless they are going hunting and they won't find any game animals in a building. Yes I do own guns, keep one with me when traveling.

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

"I don't think alcohol and weapons mix."

Yes they do. Just like sulfur, charcoal, and saltpeter.

Nobody said anything about that statement made by that governor. I'm still trying to figure out if he actually said anything.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.