383 Common sense education.

Comments

Tom Garrett 11 months ago

I'm going to try something different.

There are some subjects which are so large that they require too many posts just to get the discussion started. I have to post two, three, or sometimes even four comments right at the beginning. That's too much to read, and too much to talk about all at once.

So what I am going to do is break down a subject into several small posts and post the first of them. We can talk that one out, and then go on to another closely related one. Okay?

Here's a starter:

We all know that what we are doing in schools right now is not working as well as we would like it to work. Part of that is because of federal interference, but some of it is because of things that are inherently wrong with our educational system.

We use a one-size-fits-all system, expecting kids of all abilities to reach the same level of learning. And we sometimes expect them to reach that level in the same amount of time. For example, we use terms like "third grade reading level."

My comment on a term like that is, "Who's third grade reading level?" Mine? Yours? A kid who hates to read? An average kid? A slow kid? A little genius?

And who says that all kids can reach the same level at the same time? Is there anything else on this planet where that's true? Do you suppose that Michael Jordan was as lousy at making baskets when he was 12 as most kids were? No? Well why should he be the same as other kids in anything else? Is there anything you were a little faster with, or a little slower?

Okay. That's as far as I am going to go today. All I ask is that you think about it a little. You can comment if you want, or not. It's up to you.

Tomorrow, or whenever we get done talking about this, I'll show you where my thinking is headed, and why.

Tom Garrett 11 months ago

Have decided to delay discussion on this matter until after the current flack over the award of a coaching position has had time to be settled, and time to fade away. Two discussions concerning education are likely to conflict with each other and get intermingled, confusing both of them and helping neither one.

I'll bring this up again at a later date.

Thanks for your patience.

Tom

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.