384 How would you feel about a $42,000 salary for school board members?

Comments

Tom Garrett 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Don't get shook up. It isn't happening in Arizona. In fact, it may not happen anywhere.

Washington State Representative Reuven Carlyle, D-Seattle, has proposed that school board members be paid what state legislators are paid, about $42,000 annually.

It would cost Washington a cool $62 million to begin paying school board members, so the chances of it happening are probably small.

But the question is, why in the world would a state rep think they should start paying such a fat salary?

Answer: Seattle Washington is a very progressive city, one of the most progressive cities in th nation, so much so that whenever any public board or council gets ready to make a decision it's like pressing a button that says, "Okay, start WWIII!"

School Board Head Director Michael DeBell (they don't call them "members" over there), who is stepping down this year after two terms, is leaving because of the recent vote on school closures, where a half-dozen police officers were patrolling the foyer while protesters pounded on the outside walls as he tried to organize a vote.

“It makes you feel kind of like you’re under siege,” he said.

Tom Alsbury, a professor in educational leadership at Seattle Pacific University said something kinda sorta interesting. He said that while other elected jobs are mainly held by wealthy people who are lawyers or career politicians, school board members often serve "...because they believe they are helping the community and the school...."

Well, there you go! There's the solution, staring us right in the face.

All we have to do is start paying school board members a hefty salary. That way we'll get more lawyers and career politicians on the school board, and that'll....

Hey! Wait a minute....!

Pat Randall 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't think school board members or Town council members should be paid. Their work should be a service to the town and school, not a paid job. They can't be fair or do their own thinking if they are wanting to be elected again for the money and possibly med. ins.

Tom Garrett 6 months, 2 weeks ago

"I don't think school board members or Town council members should be paid."

I agree.

For the reasons I mentioned. And the ones you added.

Except that I think it would only be fair to reimburse them for the annual polygraph I would require of all public officials if I were running this show.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.