402 Is this is the lowest, meanest racket you have ever seen?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 2 months ago

Lowanda Kilby, director of the Boggs Mountain Humane Shelter In Georgia ran a "Lucky Dog" adoption program which promised pet owners the dogs they were putting up for adoption would not be euthanized if they paid a $100 fee. Then she killed them anyway.

Pet owners who turned their animals over to the Boggs Mountain Humane Shelter were often caring people who gone to the trouble of searching out a shelter that did not euthanize, a country prosecutor said.

After paying $100 for a guarantee that the pets would not be killed, the owners would receive emails and hand-written notes from the shelter saying that the pets had been adopted, he added.

Why? Why would someone do something like that?

Among other charges the woman faces is one of stealing more than $10,500 in shelter funds. The indictment against her alleges that Kilby received money from owners of 28 animals who were falsely promised that their pets would not be euthanized.

I ask you, can you imagine yourself ever doing anything like that? Can you imagine how those pet owners must feel? What if it had been your pet?

Does money really mean that much to some people? And if it does, how do they live with themselves?

Tom Garrett 1 year, 2 months ago

If I live to be a thousand — which I hope I don't — I will never understand greed. Of what use is money beyond what you need? You can only eat so much. You can only wear one set of clothes at a time. it only takes one bed to hold you. A car is a car; it gets you from point A to point B (I used to laugh in the face of any car salesman that said, "Well if all you want is transportation...).

So you sell your self esteem, your worth to others, and your chance of not being dumped in the trash chute after you die — for what? Money? Money you don't even see? A string of zeroes on a bank account? Zeroes like you? Hurray!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.