429 FYI. What's shut down & what's not.

Comments

Tom Garrett 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Here's a partial list of things that are still running, and things that are not running, with the government shut down.

Still running:

• The mouth of the President.

• The mouths of all other politicians.

• The mouths of all talking heads.

• Social Security and SSI payments.

• Medicare and Medicaid.

• Unemployment insurance.

• Welfare.

• Food stamps and nutrition assistance.

• Veterans benefits.

Not running or only partially running.

• Social Security field offices are open to process new-benefit applications, but there is a hold on issuing new or replacement Social Security cards, replacement Medicare cards, or proof-of-income letters.

• The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families funding, part of Welfare, is cut off by the shutdown.

• The WIC Program, Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, has no funds. Some states have funds on hand for a week or so.

• The Veterans Affairs website will be updated only “intermittently.” Vocational and educational counseling for vets will be limited.

• Pine Creek. Hasn't run all year so far.

Bernice Winandy 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Tom, you forgot to mention the most irritating thing of all: THOSE _)(*&(&^ Congressmen are still being paid!

Pat Randall 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Their salaries should have been the first thing stopped, along with all the extras they receive.

The Natural Bridge is still open thanks to the our wonderful Town Council and Friends of the Bridge. Isn't that wonderful??????????????????

don evans 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Ain't it great that they (Senate, House and Prez) are arguing over all the crap about Obamacare which we are all impacted by and have to pay for, yet they have exempted themselves from the same health program. What do they know that they don't want us to know? That exemption includes all their staff Federal Workers, some Corporations, some Unions. This Obamanation is only good for us serfs, not them. Let it all shut down. Maybe that will reduce the 17 Trillion Dollar deficit a tad.

I got the biggest kick out of a TV interview with a member of the House of Representatives. He went on and on about how the government shut down was unadvoidable. He had much to say, all sorts of blah blah blah. The interviewer asked him if he was still getting his paycheck. I wish everyone could have seen him stumble, evade the direct question and then essentially repeat what he had said previously about the shutdown. What a lot of )(*_(&)(&)(&^.

How I would like to be able to call a bank and say "stop payment of congressional checks!"

The longer this shutdown goes on, we don't have to worry about some outside force bringing down the USA, congress is doing it for them.

I don't understand closing down the parks and lakes. We have to pay to get into them and they have volunteers that work in them.

We don't have to worry about money. All we have to do is print some more. I'll aks John if he can run off a few billion at the Roundup.

How about it, John? Got a few extra minutes to run off a little something to tide us over the shutdown? Anything will do. The bills don't have to look very good. With all the changes they've made lately I wouldn't recognize a dud if someone gave me all day.

"I don't understand closing down the parks and lakes. We have to pay to get into them and they have volunteers that work in them."

Tsk! Tsk! I never would have thought of you as being so innocent, Pat. Go out on the net and try a dot.gov site. They're all closed. Why? Politics. All it costs to run those sites is electricity. You think the power is off in those buildings? No? So why are they shut down?

You want a REAL laugh?

I got thinking just a few seconds ago and wondered what the derivation of "politics" is.

This will kill you!

Politics (from Greek: politikos, meaning "of or for citizens")

Well? Have you ever read anything funnier than that?

Pat,

I imagine that the order to close down the parks and the websites came from the White House, don't you? It's a way of fighting back.

Oddly enough, I read an article last night that said the White House is shut down too, but I have gotten four emails from them during all this. One of them arrived just yesterday evening.

I have been wondering how all of you feel about Obamacare now that it is starting to be implemented. There are a couple of questions that have been troubling me, and I do not by any means ask them in a partisan or sarcastic way.

Are there really people in the country who work for a living, can't afford health insurance, and can't get taken care of by Medicaid?

What happens when someone is out of work and has no insurance because of it? Is he or she eligible for Medicaid?

And what's the difference between Medicaid and being able to walk into a hospital and be taken care of under the law?

Please understand that these are genuine questions. I am asking because I do not know the answers, and it would be very helpful if those of you who know them would put them up. Could be there are other people like me; people who just do not know as much about the issue as they would like to know.

Thanks!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.