433 Fall is here. Enjoy it while you can.

Comments

Tom Garrett 6 months, 1 week ago

Here in Arizona, especially down in the Valley, but up here in God's country as well, there are two months of the year which are close to perfect — April and October.

October in Rim Country. No need to cool. No need to heat. Everything still green. The sun rolling across blue, blue skies all day. Nighttime bringing the mating calls of the elk under clear skies strewn with glittering stars. Apples branches hanging low, heavy laden with luscious fruit. Light breezes wafting across the land, swaying pines and sending waves across grassy fields.

What could be better?

This maybe?

Five days ago, a storm system buried parts of Wyoming and South Dakota in heavy, wet snow and brought powerful thunderstorms and possible tornadoes to the Great Plains.

The storm dumped at 33 inches of snow on parts of South Dakota's Black Hills and rolled on eastward, where thunderstorms hammered the plains states and witnesses in Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota reported seeing tornadoes.

Last thing I knew the cold front was moving slowly east and expanding south, to meet up with the remnants of Tropical Storm Karen after it made landfall along the Gulf Coast.

In the meantime, Pine was having its annual Apple Festival and the rest of Rim Country was enjoying some of the best weather we have all year.

Do yourself and you family a favor, get outside.

Enjoy it while we've got it!

Susan Daniels 6 months, 1 week ago

Over 7 years my annual trek to Payson was always in October. Loved the great sleeping weather with sunny, warm days. I'll let you know what I think of winter but being from Illinois, it can't be too bad.

Tom Garrett 6 months, 1 week ago

Susan, I think you'll find it very similar as far as the lows are concerned. The main difference? The startling difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.