466 The Question Is.... Computers & cars.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year ago

I was reading an AP article a few weeks ago. As I read it I could hear the echo of voices in my ears — your voices.

Here's the part of the article I was reading:

"In some ways, computers make ideal drivers: They don't drink and then climb behind the wheel. They don't do drugs, get distracted, fall asleep, run red lights or tailgate. And their reaction times are quicker."

"They do such a good job, in fact, that a new study says self-driving cars and trucks hold the potential to transform driving by eliminating the majority of traffic deaths, significantly reducing congestion and providing tens of billions of dollars in economic benefits."

The Question Is....

Would you want a computer to drive your car?

Tom Garrett 1 year ago

Think of the days when you sat at the back of a sled, racing down a steep snow-covered slope while someone else steered the sled. Remember what happened?

Now picture yourself on the steep curving slope down to Rye, sitting in the passenger compartment of a computer operated car with no manual controls.

And finally, think of the last time you were down in the valley in a pouring down rain and all that traffic, with cars, trucks, and buses whizzing in all directions as pedestrians darted across the streets, school buses stopped and flashed their lights, trucks spewed water over your windshield, and bicyclists riding on the sidewalk shot out into the pedestrian crosswalk at 15 miles an hour.

Then think back to the last time your computer went nuts.

The Question Is....

Do you want a computer to drive your car?

Susan Daniels 1 year ago

To answer that question, no. I'm too much of a control freak! If there is a mistake to be made, I'll be the one to make it.

Tom Garrett 1 year ago

Amen! Me too!

If I am going to die in an accident I want to at least be able to blame one of the car parts....

The nut that holds the steering wheel. :-)

Bernice Winandy 1 year ago

Computers sometimes malfunction. Although, I think the one that slams on the brakes to prevent you from hitting something when you are backing up is a real plus -- providing it doesn't malfunction at a critical moment. :-)

Tom Garrett 1 year ago

You know what bothers me most about such an idea?

The control freaks would immediately use it as another means of controlling us. Just think about how wonderful it would be. Deciding which way to go would be taken out of your hands. You could be looking at the place you wanted to stop from across the street but you'd go ll the way around the block because it's not safe to sit in a turn lane. Your speed would be determined by some programmer in California who wrote the program. Everything would be safe, sane, secure, stable, sheltered, sequestered, and unassailably sensible.

Even right now we can't buy french fries we can taste, fried chicken worth eating, or a hamburger that tastes like beef. Ice cream is pap. Soups are low fat, low salt, and low flavor. And bread tastes like something made from wood pulp.

But you'll be able to talk on your cell phone for the whole one hour drive from Pine to Payson. Or watch a reality show. Or listen to free infomercials. Oh joy!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.