484 Hm-m-m-m. Got a problem with this?

Comments

Tom Garrett 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Lyall Grant, Britain's U.N. Ambassador has an idea. During a recent visit with the African Union Peace and Security Council in Ethiopia's capital Addis Ababa, Grant was impressed by its procedures.

They cut off the mike when someone spoke too long.

Grant noted that speakers during U.N. meetings can be limited by the president using a gavel, but that this is "rare." He says he would just "turn off their microphones."

And he means it. During Britain's turn for presidency of the Security Council in June, Grant cut off several speakers, some of whom officially complained.

Hm-m-m-m....

Be honest now. Would it trouble you too much if someone at the U.N. shut off the mike now and then?

Tom Garrett 4 months, 2 weeks ago

How much would you pay to spend a day at the U. N. with your finger on the mike switch and the chance to shut off anyone who talked too much?

I'm serious!

If there were a company who bought the U.N. mike-switch franchise, and it offered a one day trip to the U. N. along with a stay at a nice hotel, meals at a good restaurant, a bus tour around the city, a trip to the Statue of Liberty, an evening at a Broadway show, and a chance to shut those big mouths, would Americans take them up on it?

How about people from other countries?

Pat Randall 4 months, 2 weeks ago

How about a mike switch for the Payson Town Council meetings. Usually only one sitting up there does all the talking or did. I quit listening but if I had a switch. (:

Pam Mason 4 months, 1 week ago

How about people from other countries? Tom I would hope that Lyall Grant was fair and when it came to the British "wind bags" that he turned off the mike switch for them as well :-) (Slang. A talkative person who communicates nothing of substance or interest.)

Come to that how many of us would like a kill switch to turn off all the cell phones when we are trying to enjoy a nice meal out?

Pat Randall 4 months, 1 week ago

Pam, Your idea was best of all. Need to include no cell phones in any public place unless an emergency. Call 911, not your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife or anyone else.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.