460 The Question Is.... Reasonable and...

Comments

Tom Garrett 4 months, 1 week ago

A driver slightly struck and bruised a 17 year old jaywalker who ran across a country road in a small suburb outside Detroit to board a school bus which had stopped for him and was flashing its lights.

Normally, that would be that.

But this time I wonder....

The driver told authorities he was momentarily distracted by his pregnant wife suddenly throwing up in his car as he rounded a turn, and apparently the 17 year old ran across the road instead of crossing at the crosswalk because he was late and afraid he would miss the school bus.

That is absolutely all we know because it is an AP story, and because of the lack of names we are not likely to ever find out what the final result was, though I will try.

Be honest now, if your pregnant wife were upchucking all over the front seat do you suppose you might be distracted for just a moment?

The question is....

Might this be a time for a judge to be "reasonable and prudent" in handing down his verdict? :-)

John Lemon 4 months, 1 week ago

Tom, If I were to give any punishment to this chap it would be on the lower end of what the law dictates, depending on the dictated punishments. I might also elect to give him some sympathy.

Ronald Hamric 4 months, 1 week ago

We are talking about judges when we say "reasonable and prudent" aren't we? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Tom Garrett 4 months, 1 week ago

Pat and Ron, thanks for making me laugh.

On the other hand, I read the front page story about our local judge and I suspect that he may be one of the rare exceptions. Maybe there's hope.

What John says is, of course, what I suspect we would all say.

It goes back to what we were saying on another string; we are, after all, just imperfect human beings. And if the equally imperfect human beings doing the judging will look at themselves —and all the other imperfect beings in that story — some genuine justice may occur.

To let you see what I am saying, I'll ask another question:

How many human errors can you see in that story? How many things are there, which if they were not so, would have made what happened, if not impossible at least less likely?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.