557 Congratulations, fellow migrants.

Comments

Tom Garrett 3 months, 1 week ago

It is now Thursday.

On Monday in Minnesota, Governor. Mark Dayton ordered the state’s public schools closed as a safety measure.

On Tuesday in Chicago people were trying to reenact the Great Chicago Fire to warm up.

On Wednesday, at O'Hare Airport the HIGH temperature was expected — with a little good luck — to rise to a balmy 6 degrees below zero as a four day snowstorm continued on.

Elsewhere in the Northeast and Midwest people were hunkering down under wind-chill temperatures of 50 below zero.

What a shame that some of us who are reading these words left those balmy climes and have to put up with miserable weather like the stuff we are having!

Terrible, just terrible!

These are the times that try mens sana in corpore sano.

"Mens sana in corpore sano." That's latin for "a sound mind in a sound body."

I'll bet you thought I was going to quote from old Tom Paine, who in 1776 said:

"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country...."

Hm-m-m-m....

That fits too, doesn't it?

Oh, well; I make a better summer soldier than winter warrior. Besides, that ain't my part of the country up there no more.

:-)

Rex Hinshaw 3 months, 1 week ago

Tom, I hate to break it to you....but today is Wednesday. I like your thoughts though...and I agree.

Thanks, Rex. I knew it was Wednesday. I was just forecasting how we would feel today. I wondered if I might confuse somebody.

And we can both enjoy the weather today. :-)

I haven't done too many smart things in my life, but coming here was one of them.

Want to crack a smile? Listen to the national news media as they talk about the bitterly old weather up north and out east.

They're getting worried.

Every time they mention the unusually cold weather they add, "But that doesn't mean that global warming isn't happening."

Really. Listen for it. It'll put a smile on your face.

Pat Randall 3 months, 1 week ago

Too bad all that water can't be piped to our dry states out west.

Who knows, Pat. We are doing things now that people would have thought of as being totally impossible a century ago in 1914.

And if you go back two centuries, or three, people would tell you you were clean out of your mind if you spoke of a paved road, a railroad, or a pipeline like those we take for granted today.

As for 1914? Want to read something really funny?

Read about Ike when he was a lowly Lieutenant Colonel back in 1919 and was saddled with trying to get a Motor Transport Corps convoy of cars and trucks across the country to see what might happen if we ever got into another war and had to move materials fast.

I swear, it is like reading about the Keystone Kops. Just read these numbers for 3,250 miles that I have personally driven at a leisurely pace several times in 7 or 8 days.

It cost:

• 81 trucks, touring cars, motorcycles, ambulances, trailers, and tractors

• 24 Transport Corps officers.

• 15 War Department officers.

• 258 enlisted men.

• 62 days from July 7, 1919 to September 6, 1919.

• 573.5 hours of actual driving time at 10 hours per day.

• 88 damaged bridges, each one of which had to be repaired.

• 14 damaged bridges in Wyoming alone.

• 230 road "incidents" (adjustments, extrications, breakdowns, and accidents)

• 6 days set aside for nothing but "rest."

• 9 trucks that had to be "retired."

• 21 injured men who did make it.

• What was "transported?" The men, their supplies, repair shops, and materials.

• Also transported was one very disgusted Lt. Col, who after becoming a Five Star General, ran for President of the United States and made %$#@! highways one of his highest priorities.

:-)

Click on this link to get a look at what Ike's caravan looked like as it crossed Nebraska, which was considered to be one of the "best" parts of the drive because it was on the newly completed Lincoln Highway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Lincoln_highway_nebraska.jpg

Pat Randall 3 months, 1 week ago

My youngest son and I have discussed this for years. A pipeline was built for how many miles in Alaska? If we could have the water when the east or wherever is being flooded and store it or use it then when we are flooded and they are dry pump it back.

Sounds good to me. Water is a vital part of life, and even more than that, it can be the biggest determinant of whether or not some area has good crops. We have learned to control and regulate so many other things, but we still rely on rainfall, which may or may not come.

What if we did finally decide that water should be distributed where and when needed. It is almost the last piece of the economic puzzle. I think maybe it's not IF we'll do it; it's WHEN we'll do it.

Water has been key to many cities. Little old New London was funded in 1646, and John Winthrop, the founder, went out right then and there, even though, New London was sitting on a broad river and was filled with innumerable springs and brooks, and bought lake Konomoc — 14 miles from town, and well beyond any pipeline the town could build — from the indians. It still supplies the town with water, cool, fresh, SOFT water that doesn't clog taps and leave residue everywhere like this stuff we call water up here.

I tried it out one day. The water is so hard up here you can walk across Pine Creek without get wet.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.