606 the Question Is... Doing really dumb things.

Comments

Tom Garrett 9 months, 1 week ago

On the lower left corner of my screen there are two folders. One is named Queue; the other is named Used.

When I write a string starter I'm not going to use right away I put it in the Queue folder. After I use it I move it to the Used folder; that way I can go back and refer to it if I need to, something that often happens.

So far, so good, right?

But every once in a while I do something really dumb. After a busy session on the forum I'll go to move a file out of the Queue folder, and into the Used folder.

But since the folders sit close together I will sometimes slide the file out of the list of files in the Queue folder and onto the icon for the Queue folder. Then I'll sit there grumbling for a moment, wondering what happened because the file is still in the folder. I may even do the same thing again, and grumble some more, until I realize that I am taking the file out of the folder and putting it back into the same folder.

Then, at long last, I get it right.

The question is....

How many centuries is it going to take before I quit doing something so %$#@! stupid?

Bernice Winandy 9 months, 1 week ago

Don't we all do dumb things over and over and over again. When the computer is involved it is easy to do "dumb things." Just ask anyone of us.

Kim Chittick 9 months, 1 week ago

Yep Tom, I agree with Bernice. My hubby has told me more times than I can count, the difference between "X"-ing out of a window and using the "back" arrow. Still, any idea how often I lose a screen because I hit the wrong one?

Thanks!

Now I know I'm not the only one. I was worried that maybe I was really an adopted Martian.

:-)

And you know something? Computers sure have a way of increasing the chances of an error, don't they? So many, many little buttons.

Hm-m-m-m....

I get it.

It's a contest between us and the computer to see who can push whose buttons.

Pat Randall 9 months, 1 week ago

The computer and Sudden link always win at my house.

Don't feel alone, Pat.

I have a strong suspicion we all feel the same way.

Kim Chittick 9 months, 1 week ago

Ok, here's a laugh for all of you...

I had a wired keyboard and mouse which finally went to the big electronics graveyard in the sky about 3 months ago. So, hubby went to Wally World and bought me (what he thought was) a nice HP wireless keyboard and mouse. Of course, being wireless each piece gets its power from batteries. So, I enjoyed the lack of wires and was pleased with this change. About a month after I got it, the keyboard stopped working. I changed the batteries. No fix. I pressed the little reset button on the bottom of the keyboard. No fix. Changed the batteries in the mouse. Still no fix. Fiddled with both for a bit. Yep, you got it, still no fix!! I am certain that I am not the only one who has ever considered taking a hammer to their keyboard!! Yep, I was just about there!! In sheer frustration, I banged the mouse down on the desk and asked it why it wouldn't work!! Oh my...that fixed it! Yep, both started working! Now, I've got this whole routine worked out. It stops working. I take the batteries out of the keyboard, jiggle them around in the slot a bit. Put them back in place, Press the reset button. Remove the mouse batteries. Put them back. Then REALLY hard bang the mouse on the desk, and voila!!! Works every time!! Drives my "healthy and gentle respect for electronics" hubby, bonkers!!!

I love it! Beat the hey out of the %$#@! things. If that doesn't work, go get the engineer who designed it and do the same thing to him! :-)

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.