716 The Question Is... Overkill.

Comments

Tom Garrett 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I know you will find this hard to believe, but the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which has no actual law-making powers, or certainly shouldn't have any, is going to put new regulations in place this coming June which will make it virtually impossible for anyone to sell, trade, or transport across state lines, any object containing ivory unless you can prove that the ivory entered one of 13 American ports authorized to sanction ivory goods.

Great! Except that since those 13 ports have only had such legal power since 1982, that means that anything in your house which contains any ivory might as well go in the trash right now, even if it has been in your family for four hundred years.

The new rules will also apply to rhino horn, whale teeth, walrus tusks, tortoise shell and certain woods, like ordinary ebony, that are regulated under the 1973 Endangered Species Act.

Got a nice old piano with ivory keys? An old cane? A violin? An ivory toothpick? A chess set with ebony pieces? A guitar? An old comb? An oboe or clarinet? An ivory handled 45? A little ebony statue? An old knife and fork set?

You CRIMINAL!

The Question Is....

If we are going to have overkill would it be all right to kill off the insane idiots who are trying to create a perfect world by making it impossible for ordinary American citizens to live their lives without undue interference, instead of going to Africa and stopping the poaching of elephants, or the cutting of trees, which is what this is really all about?

Extra added question: Are we ever going to change the way we make laws so that we abide by the Constitution, which says that only Congress can make laws?

Wouldn't that be a good reason to call a Constitutional Convention? No more laws made by some bureaucrat, and no more Presidential Edicts?

Tom Garrett 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Just out of curiosity, do you have any ivory around your house? We do. It's well over 150 years old, but if we wanted to move to another state we could not legally take it with is. And we have some ebony too, a couple of little "Fat Buddhas." And no doubt some other things.

After all, you could go into a hardware store just a few years ago and buy a piece of ebony if you wanted it. How is anyone supposed to prove where some piece of wood came from. For that matter the government of Madagascar, where the stuff comes from, has several times in recent year had period of time when it was perfectly legal to export ebony.

The whole concept of our law is stupid when it comes to plants!

You can't conceivably cause the extinction of a plant species the way it is possible to do it to animal species. It is NOT possible. I challenge anyone to show a single case of plant extinction.

What to do? Just leave plants alone. If their wood becomes very rare the price will skyrocket and that will be all the controls you'll need.

How do you feel about it? Do you think it's really possible to cause a tree of which their are still millions growing, large and small, to become extinct?

In case you are wondering what I was testing, I have high speed internet with Century Link and it has been a load of tripe lately, so I was testing to see if I dared to try posting something.

Pat Randall 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Where were all the do gooders when the dinosaurs were around and needed saving? Dump all the laws and, and lawmakers then go back to the Ten Commandments. What a great world it would be to live in.

Pat,

I just said the same thing on the string about the gun tattoo. As much as I think that tattoo was not exactly clever, I suppose the guy has a right to it — and to whatever trouble it brings him.

Also, no one who read the string I put up about saving bugs when I can could possibly say that I don't care about things. I do. And I'll bet I am more aware of some things than a lot of do-gooders who cannot see beyond the end of their noses. For example, thought I know full well that every time I drag out the lawn mower, crank it up, and mow the lawn, it means the death of a few hundred bugs, and perhaps even a few thousand. Nevertheless, I do it. Why? It's necessary to make rational choices. Some of them are not pleasant, such as the fact that predators do not belong in human-inhabited areas, and so they must go. That's why our ancestors shot them out. Bringing them back is contrary to the laws of nature.

You see, there's a difference between caring and trying to change the laws of nature. The most solemn fact that we ever learn about life is that life requires death. In order for us to live something else must die. It is just the way things are. Energy originates from the sun, passes through plants and animals, and is finally absorbed by some top predator — often us. That is how life exists.

Even plants compete for space, for light, and for nutrients. They actually secrete auxins into the soil that kill off each other. Life is one long battle for existence, for living room, a share of the planet. We are fools when we try to maintain a homeostasis that just happened to exist a couple of hundred years ago when we became "civilized." The planet will evolve despite our puny efforts to hold back the tide with a broom.

We certainly do not want to despoil the planet, but we'd be far better off to force the boneheads to learn, and accept, the difference between the natural turnover of species — which they do not seem to understand — and wasting valuable time and money on fluff.

As for the Ten Commandments, I'm for that.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.