834 Why does McDonalds get more up here?

Comments

Tom Garrett 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Someone wrote into the Roundup asking why Payson McDonalds charges a buck for a small senior coffee when the average of what was charged at five McDonalds during a trip was 49ยข.

Guess what?

We have the answer.

Because every fast food place in Payson charges more than I ever seen charged anywhere else.

Why?

Beats me.

Pat Randall 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Have you priced a cup of coffee at any of the restaurants? Stay home and drink it if is to expensive to buy.

Kim Chittick 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I just read a study that detailed the highest profit items in a restaurant. Beverages are the highest profit item you can order. Typically, any beverage costs the establishment pennies on the dollar and the consumer is paying a couple hundred times that, if not more.

Payson McDonalds is not necessarily all that concerned with keeping repeat business happy, as they have such an astounding customer base of those driving through. It is one of the easiest access fast food restaurants in town and the most familiar.

The study also indicated that restaurants recognize that when people are in groups, they are less likely to quibble about price, and more likely to order those high profit items.

Very rarely do we order drinks when we are out, because it just annoys me to nearly double the amount of our check simply for a drink. Water quenches the thirst much better than most anything else.

Yep, Pat is right, I drink my coffee at home, that way it is exactly the way I like it, and I am not paying outrageous prices for some colored flavored water.

I agree with all three of you. Thanks for the thoughts. I learned a lot!

My son mentioned something else to me when he saw the string. He pointed out that down in the valley a fast food place didn't dare to raise its prices because there were always two or three others of the same kind within easy driving range. You think there's something to that?

Kim Chittick 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Absolutely!!! We are definitely a captive audience here!!

Pat Randall 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Iced drinks are where they really make their money. On the coffee, maybe they are still trying to make up for the lawsuit a few years back where the lady got burned by hot coffee. (:

Right, Kim! Absolutely right!

Remember back when we had several small local restaurants in Payson?

Remember those prices? They were rock bottom! But the food wasn't, was it? Good food at low prices โ€” and plenty of it โ€” has traditionally been what you found in small towns. But now?

Listen, I am all for local businesses, whether they are chain franchises or purely home owned. And if I for one minute thought that anyone was struggling and had to raise his or her prices I would be the first one to say "Go for it!" Most business people charge what they have to charge to stay in business. Business is business, and that's that. But I can't get around the feeling that the profit margin in some places up here is way too high.

Pat, those doggone hot coffee cases were ridiculous. The juries that voted money to people who dumped hot drinks in their own laps must have had their heads up and locked. In injury suits, which is what they were, a prime issue is the "proximate cause," which means "what is the one thing without which this injury could not have occurred?"

If you spill your drink in your lap then that's the proximate cause. You could buy hot coffee for 25 years, and if you didn't spill it on yourself there would be no way you could be injured. The juries should have told the plaintiffs in those cases to go home and practice holding a paper cup.

What if you buy a bottle of muriatic acid to clean rust stains off your driveway and then you spill some it on yourself? Do you get to sue the company that made it? . . . . (If you get a rust stain on your driveway, you can use muriatic acid. It's an impure form of hydrochloric acid, HCL, the same acid found in your stomach, but more concentrated. It is good for removing rust stains because rust, iron oxide, is red, and not very soluble, but when you put the acid on it you change it to iron chloride, which is clear, very soluble, and can be hosed off. Obviously, you have to use common sense when using any caustic chemical.)

Hm-m-m-m.....

Do you remember that phony old TV commercial for some stomach acid remedy? The one where they showed a clear liquid burning a hole through paper? They used to say, "Concentrated stomach acid burned a hole in this piece of paper!!"

What a bunch of phonies. Concentrated HCL will burn a hole through a steel plate. The trick is in the term "concentrated" isn't it?

Want a laugh at Tom Garrett, young genius?

Back when I knew nothing about chemistry I was trying to clean some stuff off an asphalt tile floor and was having very little luck. Wanting something stronger, I put some lye into water in a bowl.

My! My!

Have you ever seen a roiling, boiling bowl full of foaming hot lye? Man! Did I ever have to get that out of the house in a hurry!

The bowl was something we normally think of as not being bothered by anything we use around the house โ€” aluminum.

Aluminum is great for cooking, but not for some household chemicals.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.