848 At last, the monsoon!

Comments

Tom Garrett 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Yesterday happened to be my day to drive to and from Payson and do my weekly shopping.

On both the way up and down on 87 between Pine and Payson the road bends and twists enough so that the view changes considerably. At times the vista stretches over as much as 20 to 30 miles.

Yesterday, as I started down to Payson I was happy to see some stratocumulus clouds popping up here and there. "I wonder?" I asked myself. "Could the monsoon be starting so early?"

It seemed unlikely, but as I drove north after finishing my shopping there was no question about it. Almost the entire range of the northern and western skies were covered by storm cells. And again, the twists and turns gave me a good look at what what going on.

I am happy to be able to tell you that even though you and I may not have felt any rain on our heads it fell in plenty of other places. I saw at least five active storm cells that were dropping rain, mostly up on the Rim where it is so needed.

I thought I'd tell you that because it may make you feel good. Most years it doesn't happen. We get a lot of wind and lightning, but almost no rain at first. The fact that we are getting rain hints that this may turn out to be a good monsoon.

Wouldn't bother me any!

Tom Garrett 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm happy to be able to tell you all that yesterday's rainstorm dropped over two inches of rain on Pine and the surrounding area.

Actually, it was probably a quarter to a half inch more, but I had a temporary rain gauge out while I was repairing the regular one, and the substitute was so shallow that with it raining as hard as it was most of the water was just splashing back out. Fortunately, the regular gauge was ready to put back in service so I only lost about 15 to 20 minutes of the downpour, and I'd rather report a little less than exaggerate the number, but I really think it was about two and half inches.

How about that?

That's a week earlier than I have seen the monsoon start, and it usually starts with tiny amounts of rain. As it was pouring down I went to the radar and saw that it was a widespread general storm lying over the entire rim and off toward Prescott. It looks like the whole area has gotten just the soaking we needed to cut the fire danger down to a nub. The next week is predicted to be one with a lot of rain. Hope it's correct.

The funny part yesterday was when I grabbed a folding umbrella, shot outside as I opened it in the downpour, and listened to bits and pieces of the folding mechanism hit the sidewalk as it fell apart. Didn't hurt the umbrella any; it still worked and kept me more or less dry as I put out the regular gauge, but now I can't get the %$#@! thing to fold up.

Anybody wanna buy a non-closing umbrella?

Cheap? :-)

Happy belated 4th of July.

dale kasl 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I was in Pine saturday for the grand opening of the Maverick restaurant.I like to go up north of Payson to go to Pine and Strawberry.I'm glad the rain clouds came through.My dad grew up on farm in Nebraska and had a computemp for high and low,rain for the day and the wind.We had it down in Phoenix and argue how the airport had no rain,but we did only a few miles away.

Tom Garrett 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Dale,

One thing I had to learn about the weather out west was that it often isn't the overall blanket kind of rains we got back east.

And hey! I'll take it to get all the good things that go with it, and I'll bet you feel the same way!

We got another little spritz last night, and I'll take that too.

The time that really opened my eyes was the day in September 98 when the sky ripped open and we got 3 1/2 inches of rain in an hour and a half. Man! You should have seen the creek. It looked like it should have been called the PIne River that day. Someone who had been living up here for over 70 years told me it was the heaviest rainstorm ever.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.