811 The Question Is.... Parental authority.

Comments

Tom Garrett 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Robert Demond of Kilauea has a son who looks about 8 in the pictures taken of him getting on and off the school bus in the article I read. The boy's age isn't given, but then the article I read was strongly lacking in details. Nevertheless, he looks about 8, or perhaps a young looking 9.

Robert Demond was notified of a problem with his son and had to drive to school to pick him up. As I said, the article I read was very lacking in data, and did not state the nature of the problem, but because several pictures were published of the boy getting on and off the school bus it's probably not a bad guess that the problem had something to do with bus misbehavior.

Also, added to the conclusion suggested by those pictures is the fact that Demond drove his son home from school that day instead of waiting for him to get home on the bus. That suggests that Demond was told to pick up his son and talk to him about his behavior on the bus if he wanted him to continue riding it. That's a fairly common procedure in some schools.

In addition, if bus discipline was not the problem, it is hard to understand why Demond chose the punishment he picked for his son or why he would have told a judge something you will read below.

When Demond's son refused to talk about his misbehavior on the way home, Demond told him to get out of the car and walk the rest of the way home — about a mile — while he thought it over. If the problem was, indeed, something to do with school bus misbehavior, then letting his son walk so he could think about losing his bus privileges seems highly appropriate. It would be a way of letting him know how his life was going to change if he lost his bus privileges.

Anyway, somehow or other the law got involved. (Sorry. Just how that happened was also not stated in the article.) Demond, who has no type of record whatsoever, was taken to court, convicted by Judge Kathleen Watanabe of endangering a minor, fined $200, ordered to attend a parenting class, and placed on a year's probation.

Demond says he told the judge that he didn't think the punishment was morally wrong or criminal. He added that it was a common form of punishment when he was growing up, and he pointed out that he let his son walk home to teach him a lesson, and was not angry when he did it.

Judge Kathleen Watanabe called the punishment "old-school" and no longer appropriate.

The Question Is....

What would you call it?

Where do we draw the line between parental authority and government?

Pat Randall 3 months, 2 weeks ago

What would I call it?
A good lesson. The bus does not have to pick up a kid that misbehaves on it. The father was called because of misbehavior on the bus and told by the principal that if he kept misbehaving the bus would not pick him up. What is the difference in a parent making him walk or the school doing it? Maybe the principal should have been arrested for threatening the parent that his kid wouldn't be able to ride the bus.

"What is the difference in a parent making him walk or the school doing it?"

That would be my question. Ask the perfectionist do-gooders.

Gee! I wish I could die a few weeks early and come back in 200 years when the world is perfect, don't you?

Maybe Judge Kathleen Watanabe should be fined $200, ordered to attend a judging class, and placed on a year's probation for endangering a minor by keeping his father busy doing things that keep him away from his home and family. In the perfect world she appears to think we should have such a thing would never be allowed, would it? So why shouldn't she be punished?

Why shouldn't we all be punished? Especially you! Do you realize that by breathing as much air as you do you take away oxygen from children, puppies, and the poor.

You dirty rat!

I said that in my best Jimmy Cagney voice. :-)

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.