GRRR! Is proofreading a lost art?

Comments

Kim Chittick 5 years ago

Guess my English major background is showing! It is becoming almost painful for me to read the on-line Roundup anymore. I don't buy the hard copy as I hate to see the paper going to waste; therefore, I can't speak to the quality of the spelling and grammar in it. BUT, the on-line Roundup has so many spelling and grammar errors, it is excruciating for me to read. Tell me please, what exactly is a "chotsky". And why in the world would Alexis Beckman not have verified the correct spelling of tchochke in her story about Grady Gammage and his recommendation that "Payson needs to get funky". Sorry, guess I got out of bed on the wrong side today. It is just that I feel that if one is going to write for compensation, and said writing is going to be published for many people to read, one should ensure that spelling, grammar and punctuation are correct. Regardless of deadlines, a quality product is something to be proud of. A newspaper containing the types of errors I have caught is an embarassment. Please, Mr. Naughton, encourage your writers to be more diligent in proofreading their copy.

Bill Knauss 5 years ago

I believe it's spelled Tchotchke but I also found a chotsky in an urban dictionary meaning "Very similar in definition to schwag. Free stuff of inconsequential value".... I know what you mean though.

Pat Randall 4 years, 12 months ago

Google has all of the above, schwag- low grade of marijuana, thought that was interesting. I don't know why the reporters don't use common words so people like me don't have to stop reading to look in a dictionary to find out what they are writing about.

I probably won't remember the meaning but I have done that since the 2nd grade.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.