Payson Community Kids - Marcie's Kids.

Comments

Pat Randall 4 years, 5 months ago

Attended the benefit last night for Payson Community Kids building fund. This is a nonprofit org. that has after school and summer programs, food, clothing and lots of love for the kids. No cost to any child who goes there. The food was great, same with the entertainment and auctions. Donors for the auction were very generous Decorations were really neat.

Susie Tubbs and her volunteers did a great job. I know Marcy is proud. She gave heart and soul for many years and using a good sum of her money to keep the program going.

Now the down side, not nearly enough people came. Seems the majority of folks in Payson are more interested in saving animals than the youth of our town. Maybe I missed them but didn't see one member of the leaders of our town in attendance. It isn't too late to send in your check.

Bill Knauss 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree. I tend to like people much more than animals and help every chance I get. Susie is doing a wonderful job!!

Dan Varnes 4 years, 5 months ago

QUOTE: "Maybe I missed them but didn't see one member of the leaders of our town in attendance."

And you're saying that's a bad thing? Not to me.

The last thing we need is another government "official" making promises about how they'll hand out taxpayer dollars to private groups.

Dan, If you check, I don't think Payson (Marcy's) Community Kids have had any money from the town. I don't believe in government hand outs either. Where were the leaders with thier own money to spend for a good cause?

Maybe Mayor Kenny can get some of his billionaire pals to donate?

They're loaded with money... just ask Kenny.

One picture in the Business section of the paper of 5 of the people that were hypnotised at the benefit for Payson Community (Marcy's) Kids. Didn't even get all of the people that were being hypnotised in the picture. No article written, Nothin ! Most weeks almost a whole page is dedicated to dogs and cats that need to be adopted or a cry for a new humane society building. Is there something wrong with this or is it just me? Be kind if you respond. (:

don evans 4 years, 5 months ago

Pat, I know a little about Marcy's kids and it is a great group who do good things. But, about three month's ago I quit my subscription to this paper. Nothing to do with local politics or any personal affront to me. I know the Roundup receives many awards for it's content and good for them. BUT, for me, I was getting tired of what I call all the goodie two shoes articles about ALL the local groups in the area and what their paticular area of interest is. I want hard news on local and county issues. At least some good investigative reporting articles no matter what sacred cow business, group, or individual is involved. I know the paper has to consider who is paying for advertisement, but there is just to much unimportant fluff stuff for me. I do appreciate this public blog that they provide for those that have some gumption to publicly say what they think. I understand the smaller town news outlets nexus to the community it serves, but enough was enough for me. Hope this doesn't get me bounced but it is my honest opinion.

Good post, Don. I feel the same way.

If all the 43+ churches in the area were actually "doing God's work," there wouldn't be a need for a private group like "Marcie's Kids," would there?

Putting up new church buildings seems to be more important.

Dan, When Marcy started the Community kids it was just her helping the neighborhood kids and then it grew and grew. Buildings don't help people. people help people and they do need a building.

Maybe the parents would be a good place to start on taking care of thier kids. Don't blame the churches, some of the kids probably never knew about a church until they were with Marcy and she took them.

As I see it, people from churches are supposed to go out and look for those in need, not wait til' they come to them (in their big, opulent buildings built with tax-free money) .

Maybe I'm wrong... you tell me.

Dan, You are wrong about a lot of things especially churches and religion. Who are you to say what churches are supposed to do? When was the last time you were in one? As I said earlier people help people whether they belong to a church, club, political group or not. I am a member of a church and have not attended services in 25 yrs. but I help people. I do not belong to any clubs, committees, or organizations. Who have you helped lately?

I don't expect any answers to my questions. I will not debate religion with anyone.

Pat, you really like to go out of your way to pi** people off, don't ya? And here I always thought that only old men got grumpier with age.

PAT QUOTE: "Who are you to say what churches are supposed to do?"

Here's how it works, Pat. We ALL get to give our opinions. They may not make everyone happy and they may not be politically correct, but no one is forbidden from giving theirs, not even me.

I have an good idea of what churches are supposed to do and it comes from reading that gold-edged book that people like to carry around on Sunday, but often don't really READ. When was the last time you read it, Pat?

The Bible contains over 300 verses on helping poor people. Here's one that might ring a bell:

Luke 14:12-14. "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return, and repayment come to you. But when you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, since they do not have the means to repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

PAT QUOTE: "When was the last time you were in one?"

Every so often, you'll see me in the Expedition Church. http://www.discoverexpedition.com/ That's the gathering of people that takes place in the old Julia Randall gym building. They don't feel the need to raise a bunch of money to build YET ANOTHER church building around Payson. They use an existing building (the gym) and it works out great.for everybody. The money that would go to build another lightly used church building instead goes to help a small town in Rwanda called "Rwimbogo." They do some real, worthwhile work there and I'm proud to support them.

Here's my point, Pat. For a town of 14,000, there are just plain too many churches in the area. Years ago, I counted 43 in the Roundup section that lists churches. There might even be more now. If every one of those churches helped just 10 people, there likely wouldn't be a need for "Marcie's Kids." Isn't that's where poor people used to get all the things that our wonderful government now gives them, their local church?

I've been to other churches in Payson, too. Since you say you haven't been in 25 years, you wouldn't know it, but in many churches, "The Building Fund" takes priority over anything else. From my viewpoint, Payson area churches would be better off doing as the Bible commands them and give that money to help worthy people that are truly in need. If those people happen to be living in or near Payson, it would be even better.

My opinion: The last thing Jesus wants his followers to do is build a bunch of fancy church buildings while giving only lip service to the people who are truly in need.

Is that simple enough to understand?

Dan, Too bad you don't support the needy in the good old USA.

"The poor" in America only have two color TV's and one VCR.

The poor in Rwanda barely have clothing to wear.

No, thats why I help the needy here. These I can see. Assuming about the poor here and in Rwanda? Figures! Pictures and stories can be faked and thats a fact.

If I gave you a map, I'll bet you couldn't find Rwanda.

Rwandans are happy when they get clean water and a used pair of shoes.

Like I said, the "poor" in America live better than the majority of ALL the world's inhabitants. America's "poor" have cars, color TVs, microwaves, dishwashers, Ipods and telephones.

No comparison.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.