Kids struggle.

Comments

Pat Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Please go back and read the article again. According to the paper. A family of four is getting over $400. a month in food stamps. $29.00 a week per person. If they are smoking, a pack of cigarettes is about $5.00 a pack. Another $150.00 a month for one pack a day. Stop that first. I know easier said than done. Go to the grocery store and buy healthy food, stay away from fast food places with your cash. Don't buy TV dinners, cookies and soda pop. Wholesome food is less expensive. Takes a little effort to prepare but if you are not working you have time to prepare it. The 12 percent that are pregnant and smoking should not be pregnant if they can't afford to take take of the kids they have.

Yes, I have been very broke in my lifetime, but never had to get food stamps or any of the other things mentioned in the article. Learn to live with hard times. Things will get better. First of all you have to help yourself. Don't depend on others to take care of you.

Kim Chittick 2 years, 2 months ago

Right on Pat!! Gotta tell you, I saw something the other day that just about killed me. A woman, perhaps late 20's or early 30's, standing out on her front porch smoking. The catch? She was about 8 months pregnant! All I could think was "really, you won't smoke inside your house, but you will inhale that into your baby's blood stream". And I love seeing people in nice new cars, driving along with a hand holding a cigarette out the window and at stop lights, they stick their head out the wondow, take a puff and then make sure to exhale out the window. Heaven forbid that their car smell like smoke, to say nothing of what they are putting into their body! And don't even get me started on people receiving food stamps, but spending their money on cigarettes!!! A hand UP, NOT a hand OUT!!

Pat Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Kim, Park outside DES and see the cars the people drive up in, the $100.00 shoes with a cigarette in one hand and super size coke or whatever in the other. When I had the restaurant and bar in Tonto Basin I would go in to DES looking for employees. One day the lady working there said, Honey it is to far for anyone to drive down there to work. I pointed to the list of jobs in the window that were in Payson and said, well Honey is it to far for people looking for a job to go get one of them?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.