Time out The pull of the whirlpool by Alexis Bechman

Comments

Pat Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

At the end of todays article I noticed the article said one woman lights up a cigarette as she moans she has nothing. No child care, no job. Give up the damn cigarettes. Where did she get the money to buy something that cost at least $4.00 a pack for 20 cigarettes? Yes, I smoke and when I buy 2 cartons of cigarettes they cost $118.50 for the two cartons. 10 packs to a carton for those of you who don't smoke. $5.92 a pack. They would cost more if bought by single packs. I feel sorry for the kids not the women. The kids have no choice. Where is CPS?

Pat Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

Am I the only one that read the article and has an opinion?

Someone sent me the following.

If you can afford beer, drugs, cigarettes, manicures, and tatoos, you don't need food stamps or welfare.

How true.

Kim Chittick 2 years, 1 month ago

You know Pat, in theory, I completely agree with you. I could never bring myself to smoke, because there are too many other things that I would rather do with that kind of money. However, that being said, something that we need to realize is that for many of those women, smoking is the ONLY thing they have left for themselves.

Do I agree with it? NO! Do I approve of it? Absolutely not! But, I ask myself, how would I deal with it if, in order to be safe, in order to not be beat on, or watch my kids be beat on, in order to have some self respect and pride in and for myself, I had to leave EVERYTHING and run? I figure...if smoking a cigarette gives them some measure of peace, of calm, of normalcy, who am I to try and walk in her shoes?

Pat Randall 2 years ago

Kim, What is that woman's children eating and wearing while she is smoking up what little money she may have? The community is taking care of them. I am sure they are not buying her cigarettes.

When DES was in the Bashas shopping center I quit driving by it because the people waiting to go in and get a hand out were smoking, drinking thier king size drinks and wearing $100. sports shoe. I wanted to drive up on the sidewalk and run over them.

I am very careful anymore where my charitable money goes to. Yes, I do give. Clothes, food, toys, not cash to be spent on tatoos, manicures and cigarettes. Marcy's Payson Community Kids is one of the best places I know of to help kids.

Kim Chittick 2 years ago

Yes Pat, Payson Community Kids is indeed a wonderful organization. And I applaud your willingness to help. I believe that is all that is required of those of us who are blessed...to help in whatever way we can. Regarding Time Out and the women smoking...it is not up to the staff to dictate to the residents whether or not they can smoke. And as I previously stated, I absolutely do not agree with them smoking while someone else is supporting them and their kids. However, and this is a huge one...when a woman who has lost or walked away from EVERYTHING, and is a physical, emotional, psychological and mental basketcase, is that REALLY the time to expect her to quit smoking?? We should probably end this thread, because we are never going to come to terms on this subject. While I gree with you completely in theory, in practice, I cannot imagine being in their shoes.

Pat Randall 2 years ago

I have smoked since I was 15 but the three times I was pregnant I did not smoke. I had the money to buy them but didn't think I should smoke at that time. Not because I couldn't pay for them. My husband provided for me and our kids quite well and wouldn't have dared abuse me or our kids. As I have said before, don't get mad, get even.

It is the same with tattoos and high dollar manicures on the women wanting help. I spend my money on accupuncture so I can walk.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.