Moving to Payson

Comments

Susan Daniels 1 year, 3 months ago

Hello, I'm planning a move to Payson later this year. I've visited the area with friends for a number of years now and decided to retire to this area. I'm coming from out of state. What can I expect when I make this move? Local input is much appreciated. Thank you.

Susan Daniels 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll be more specific in my questions with the hope that there will be responses.

The first item after the move is to establish doctors. Does anyone have recommendations for local physicans, i.e., internal medicine, eye care, dentist, etc?

CenturyLink bundle seems to be the way to go for reliable internet. What about cell service? I've experienced AT&T and the spotty service. What provider gives overall coverage no matter where you are (like on 87 to PHX)?

Car repairs. I have a Ford. Has anyone had experience with the service department at the Star Valley location? What about BMW motorcycles? Any maintenance people in town?

Ladies, recommendations for hair salons?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Kim Chittick 1 year, 2 months ago

Hi Susan, Welcome to Payson. Do you have an anticipated arrival date? I too came to Payson from out of state, approximately 20 years ago. I can tell you that some of the old timers here resent anybody who hasn't been here for 100 years!! Although, those are few and far between. For the most part, people are friendly and welcoming. It is a GREAT place to live. I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

I will not give recommendations for doctors, etc, by name, as I think that there are so many variables when choosing a physician. However, Payson has the added benefit of being within an hour and a half of some of the best medical facilities in the world, so if you don't find one up here that you like, that is an option. Please understand that I am not saying there are not great Doctors up here, there are absolutely. I just think that who you choose depends upon your medical provider, what sort of physician you are looking for, and your personal preferences.

As for cell service, we have had Verizon more than 10 years. There are only a couple of short areas on hwy 87 to Phoenix where the service cuts out, however, they are upgrading the towers every day and the service is more consistent all the way to Phoenix. Otherwise, in my opinion, Verizon is the way to go. I will also highly recommend the Verizon store in the Payson Safeway shopping center. It goes by the name MyBullfrog.com (don't ask why, I haven't a clue!!!) They are professional, friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to go the extra mile for their customers.

I have heard good things about Steve Coury Ford in Star Valley, and there are also a couple of great independant shops in town. As for BMW motorcycle...I personally do not know of any BMW mechanics, although, again, Scottsdale is teeming with imports and is only an hour and 15 minutes south.

As for hair salons, again, hugely dependant upon what exactly you are looking for. There are many salons in town and I am certain that you will find the right person.

If you would like, you are more than welcome to contact me privately. To do so, you merely click on my name at the top of this post and click on "send an email". The system will route the email to me, and then I will provide you my personal email address. Good luck and I look forward to welcoming you to Payson.

Dan Haapala 1 year, 1 month ago

Hey Susan hope you make the move, Payson always needs more good neighbors. Where are coming from and if you don't mind my asking what do you expect to find here? That would go a long way to helping you find what you need.

Susan Daniels 1 year, 1 month ago

Dan,

The move is a for sure thing so you're stuck with me as a neighbor. Won't be long now. I'm moving from Illinois. Expect to find? Well, I expect to live simply in a nice environment. With friends in town and family in Phoenix, I think Payson will work for me. I enjoy a relaxed atmosphere, seasons but not extreme, beautiful scenery with outdoor living. I'm hoping Payson covers all my wants. I might of grown up big city but have lived small town over the years.

I was somewhat disappointed to find out that the two exclusive resorts in town don't allow public access for the spa and dining without fees to have access to the experience. Seriously? I may not be able to handle the full blown membership fees and sure won't pay a fee to be given the privilege ....but I sure the heck can handle a day at the spa or a nice dinner. Are they missing the boat? Do they care?

I'm sure there are other options.

don evans 1 year, 1 month ago

Unless the policy has changed, in order to eat at the restaurant located at chaparral pines, a property owner/member must be present and no money is accepted. The food/dinner bill total is added to the member monthly fees for payment.

Pat Randall 1 year, 1 month ago

There are more spas than the two you are talking about and many good places to eat or dine. Don't sweat it.

After researching the web page of the two resorts I understand the "exclusive" membership options. I get it. I'm sure there are others that will be exactly what I'm looking to utilize. Thanks.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 1 month ago

Hi Susan, Pat is correct, we do have a few lovely day spas in town where one can get a massage, facial, pedicure, etc. And as I previously mentioned if you want to go all out, there are some phenomenal places just over an hour away in Scottsdale.

Susan Daniels 1 year ago

4 days into unpacking and exhausted. So far I'm lovin it.

Kim Chittick 1 year ago

You are here?? YAY!! If you email me where you are, I would love to welcome you!!

Susan Daniels 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Experiencing pollen/allergy season here in Payson. Wow.....my eyes are flaming balls of fire! I sure didn't consider how bad it can be.

This too shall pass. (Soon, I hope.)

Susan Daniels 9 months, 1 week ago

3 months under my belt and I seem to be settling in. The auto show was great. The Saturday night concerts are a treat. The fireworks were outstanding. Still need to venture out more and meet people and explore. Bottom line......I'm loving being here. I may have grown up in the "big" city...but I'm really small town at heart.

I was fortunate enough to have raised my boys in a small Indiana town so living small town isn't foreign to me. I knew, eventually, I'd end up small town again. I'm lucky to be here.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.