Background checks for buying guns.

Comments

Pat Randall 1 year, 5 months ago

Doesn't anyone understand that only good honest law abiding people are going to go to a place to buy a gun where a background check is required??

The honest people will then have thier guns taken away.

The criminals and bad guys are not going to give a background check. So they will always have guns.

So many idiots in this world.

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 5 months ago

Pat, You are pretty much "singing to the choir". But if you go to any large metropolitan city on either coast, they will argue till they are blue in the face that if we just accept one more law it will resolve the problem. As you pointed out, the problem are criminally minded people among us and those people will not abide by ANY law that impedes their criminal intent. It seems so clear to us, but I fear so many are seeking that man made Utopia that they will grasp at any means to try and create it, however foolish and ineffective that history has proven their approach to be.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 5 months ago

Pat, Ron, please see my comment/reply to Ted Paulk's letter to the Editor, "Silly Thinking". This guy just doesn't let up!!!

Pat Randall 1 year, 5 months ago

Kim, I have already read it. But am not allowed to put on here what I would like to. Mr. Naughton says I have to play nice. (:

Pat Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

I suggest any person out there owning guns do a registration of your own and put it in a safe place. If you don't have any papers on them write down as much as you can remember when and where you got it. This may save you grief in the future. Anytime my husband bought a gun at a carport sale or from someone just wanting to sell a gun, always asked them for thier drivers license, wrote down the information, date, serial number of the gun and had them sign it. If he sold one, same thing and did it when he was giving guns to family members. Do you know why? If the gun was stolen and used in a crime we could show who we got it from or sold it to. Saved a friend of ours from being in big trouble because he did the same thing and guns were stolen and used in a crime. It is called CYA. If you smart people have a phone that takes pictures, you might even want to do that. Anyone that doesn't want to give information. DON'T buy the gun

Donald Cline 1 year, 1 month ago

I really think the folks commenting here, while well-meaning, are missing the point -- or at least are not presenting a valid argument against background checks as a precondition for purchasing a firearm. Here are some valid arguments against that particular form of tyranny:

1. The federal government has no delegated authority whatever to conduct a background check on anyone without probable cause of a crime having been committed. Thus a background check as a precondition for purchasing a firearm is an a priori restraint on the right to due process as guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment.

2. For the same reason, it is a violation of the individual right to be secure from unreasonable searches. "Unreasonable" is defined as "unwarranted," and "no Warrants shall issue but upon probable cause" of wrongdoing, which must be "supported by Oath or affirmation." Thus background checks as a precondition for permitting the purchase of a firearm is a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

3. The federal government has no delegated authority whatever to issue or deny permission to exercise any right -- any where, any time, under any peaceful circumstances. Thus a background check as a precondition for purchasing a firearm is an a priori restraint on the right to be secure from the enforcement of undelegated authority as guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment.

4. The federal government has no delegated authority whatever to compel any person to witness against himself; thus being compelled to complete a Form 4473 under penalty of perjury is a further violation of the Fifth Amendment -- and the Supreme Court has ruled that a criminal cannot be prosecuted for lying on a Form 4473 because he cannot be compelled to witness against himself.

5. The federal government has no delegated authority whatever to designate any person, criminal or not, a "prohibited possessor" unless he is actually under the authority of a court for reasons of probable cause of criminal activity.

6. The federal government has no delegated authority to infringe upon the right of anyone to acquire, own, keep, bear, or use personal arms any where, any time, under any peaceful circumstances. Thus background checks, and the 20,000 or so (reported figure; I don't know if it is accurate) federal gun control laws on the books, are but mere color of law, are null and void from the moment of their inception, and no one may be lawfully bound to obey them.

Understand, however, that federal government thugs and incompetent, corrupt judges, won't see it that way -- DON'T see it that way. The above is an expression of my right to free speech based upon 35 years of constitutional and legal research; it does not constitution legal advice. If you want or need legal advice, consult your own lawdog or legal beagle. Don't believe anything the lawdog says, but get what the legal beagle says in writing so you can act upon his legal advice.

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 1 month ago

Don,

Thanks for that post. It contains information that I suspect many are totally unfamiliar with. Either we are a Constitutional Republic or we are something else. It is apparent that over time, via bad legislation/legislators, activist judges and their "precedents" and in large part to an apathetic citizenry, we find ourselves in an America that is totally foreign to it's founding precepts. It can't be fixed via the ballot box. Of that I am certain.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.