Roundup, Investigate and Report Payson Water Sale to Brooke Utility

Comments

don evans 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Dear Roundup, After a long time of personaly checking around on various web sites and your newspaper archives, I have been able to determine an initial timeline for this subject back to early 2010. I and others are asking your newspaper to investigate and report your fact finding on this matter in a reasonable time frame. Something is just not passing the smell test in our opinion. There is no information that we can find that any Payson public input or discussion meeting was held by the Town Council or our Water Department heads. This is OUR public town municipal water from OUR current well supplies that is being sold to a for profit privately owned water utility. What is the summer water supply depletion rate for our needs because of this activity? How much of Payson public water has been transferred and sold to Brooke Utility Co. who is doing business in Mesa Del as "Payson Water Company Inc." Why would they use that name? How much water is being taken from the Payson fire hydrant located behind our Home Depot and out of normal public view on a weekly/monthly basis? Since 2010, I suspect the total will be in acre feet at this point, not gallons. How is this Rio Verde Water Co. truck tanker filling up monitored by Payson? Do we just take Brooke's word for the reporting of it? How often? What water purchase rate is Payson charging Brooke? Or is that confidential even though it's our public water supply being sold to them. Into which Town account is this water sale money placed and used? How much so far? You have reported in the past that Brooke has tripled their fees to it's Mesa Del customers in this water deal. They have applied for another rate increase pending with the ACC! Is this Payson public water sale to Brooke fair to Payson residents without their opportunity for input and full disclosure? Is it ethical?

Pat Randall 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Don, Have you looked at the price increae in our water here in Payson this year? I guess the water dept. had to raise the price of our water so they could afford all the pipe etc. from Blue Ridge so they can sell our water to someone else. I know that was a long sentence. Concentrate. (:

Barbara Rasmussen 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Don I agree with you. Someone needs to find out what is going on with the selling of water that should be used by the people of Payson. I did not realize we had such a surplus of water that we could sell it. How can we start to investigate who authorized this sale and why?

John Lemon 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Don, I agree. I know that the Roundup reported that water depth in wells was higher than last year, but that does not adress the topics of : 1. Should Payson be selling water or saving water?, and, 2. What are the contractual stipulations surrounding the case of selling water (amount, price/gallon, length of time, and so on). Mr. Walker is known for being non-friendly and information restrictive and will likely not disclose much unless pressure comes from Town Council. To visit another aspect : If Payson does not sell water to be used at Mesa Del, where will they acquire water ? Are we just enabling Brooke to continue doing as little as possible to arrive at a long-term solution to the water shortage?

don evans 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Keep in mind, this has been going on for THREE years now. In my opinion, I suspect this deal was quietly struck for the following reasons. 1. To assuage the factions of people in Mesa Del who did not want the future pipeline water treatment plant next to their community. This stop gap measure of Payson allowing the taking of our well water to replenish their tanks, effectively shut them up. Ergo, no water shortages for them, build your Payson Plant. Those factions are no longer any threat to the Cragin Pipeline Deal down stream so to speak. 2. There is some connection between Brooke Utility and somebody in Payson Town Government. Maybe just a good ol' boy friendship, or more? This deal allows Brooke to not have to make any major financial improvements to it's wells, dilapidated storage water tanks and water delivery system to it's Mesa Del customers (their same scenario used in Pine/Strawberry). This way, Brooke can get substantial water rate profit increases claiming all they can do is haul water in the summer and heavy consumption periods, and they avoid a large financial outlay for any improvements. Brooke is using Rio Verde Water hauling tankers to make the water runs. They are based near Cave Creek in Maricopa County, a very long distance away. Why would they not use a local tanker service from Payson or Gila County? Think about the hauling charges, gas etc. The effect, extra $$$ buffer built in to charge Brooke customers??? 3. Is Brooke being charged the going market rate for our water or have they been given a "special rate" while Payson resident rates are increased and told to conserve their water use. I suspect our water sale money is going into the Town Water Dept. account only. All while our streets fall apart. 4. Brooke Utility will still be the water provider for Mesa Del after the pipeline flows and the deal will allow them to hook up to it and sell that water to it's customers. Of course, Payson is paying through the nose for all of it's construction costs. The sell, plenty of water for all, come on down and build, build, grow, grow. Again, my opinion only.

Don, While you are checking into the Mesa Del water, go back and see how the water deals were done with Chaparral Pines before a house was ever built out there.

I have a Water Supply handbook dated July 1995. Arizona and the Rim Country. Lifeblood for a thirsty land. It was compiled and written by Carol Cox. You can believe every word was researched. It tells about studies done. Payson, Pine and Strawberry. Chapparal Pines, and Elusive Effluent. If you would like a copy let me know. I will send you my number thru the forum. At the time it was printed the water dept. was seperate from all other town operations, with every cent generated by water going back into the system. I think it is still that way.

Pam Mason 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Don, you may want to find out if in fact Brooke Utilities sold to JW Water Holdings LLC (JW may stand for Jason Williamson) based in Denver Colorado the following companies:- Tonto Basin Water Co. Navajo Water Co. Payson Water Co.

Supposedly this just took place. You might try to verify with contacts within those Communities. Also the Town of Payson, find out if Colorado has a Corporation Commission, Denver Post Newspaper or call BUI themselves and ask.

Note I am saying this might have taken place but needs to be thoroughly checked out and verified. Good Luck!

Bernice Winandy 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Pat, I would like to look at a copy of the book you told Don about. Is it available in the Payson Library?

Bernice, It is j a little 16 page paper that a past editor of the Roundup wrote. You are welcome to borrow it. It was printed in 1995.

Pam, None of the places you mentioned are incorporated so there are no town records.

Pam, Yes, Colorado has a Corp. Com. I just went on it but am to tired to look for anything. I had to go to Mesa and get my Pacemaker checked. While I was there I had to meet with insurance adjuster, get a new arcadia door put in and a few other fun things. Some one had broken in to my house down there and stole a TV and DVD player. There were three TVs but they only took one.

Pam Mason 10 months, 1 week ago

Yes if Don wants more info on the company take over Colorado Corp. Commission is a good place to start.

Pat, I am sorry to hear about your property being broken into, there are too many scum bags around! Why is is that crooks assume because they want something they can just go out and steal it? Does no one save up for things these days? Maybe they will sell the TV and DVD player for drug money, I very much doubt it will go towards food. I know the economy is tough but part of me always goes back to lack of self control and discipline not being enforced at home to start with. Add to that the schools having their hands tied as to what they can and cannot do with unruly students and there you have it. Before long it becomes a generational thing. Ooops maybe this should be another string :-(

Pat Randall 10 months, 1 week ago

Pam, Seems a lot of us get off on the wrong string, it is really easy so will stay with you. I can't understand why they didn't take all the TVS and all of my grandsons DVDS and TV games. There must be over a thousand dollars worth of them.
I think it was done in the day time. My house is across the street from a nursing home and the sheriff and the subdivision security are driving by all the time. Evidently they aren't to alert. It may have been an employee from the nursing home as they cross the street in front of my house to smoke.

Bernice Winandy 10 months, 1 week ago

Just a coincidence I am sure, but wasn't the former owner of Brooke named Williamson? If I remember correctly, the former owner of the water companies bought by Brooke was virtually tarred and feathered and run out of town.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.