Marijuana store

Comments

Pat Randall 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Wasn't it printed in the paper when this all started that the stores were going to be non-profit? How can anyone be so stupid? Why would anyone invest all the money these people have spent to open a business that is non profit? If buyers have to have a card for medicinal purpose to buy it, seems there would not be any sales tax on it. I do not pay sales tax on my prescription drugs. At the prices quoted on here, how is it going to be paid for? Surely not by medical insurance or medicare. Seems buying marijuana off the street would be much cheaper. As for being legal distance from schools or children. That is crap. The kids walk right past the place coming and going from the middle school and high school sometimes 3 times a day. I think there is much more to this 'legal' marijuana store than we have been told. Alcohol will stop pain if you drink enough of it. How did all these people find out marijuana would stop pain and how long does it stop it? Did their drs tell them? Is marijuana given in hospitals to people who are having severe pain?

Ronald Hamric 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Pretty obvious they haven't fooled you Pat. Not true for the "low information folks". They pretty much believe what they are told regardless of how obviously false it is.

Ronald, Go back to the April 25th issue of the paper and read the article by Alexis Bechman. Put them together. I don't believe the truth is being told in any of them. My opinion.
Would like to hear the recorded conversation on all of them. (:

There was another article in another issue but I can't find it.

I know Pat, I read the article you mentioned. Just like you I have questions as to why anyone, especially in this economy, invest "hundreds of thousands of dollars" of their own money in a business "designed" to break even? Goes against every aspect of the "Business Fundamentals" I was taught in college. You also raise the question about the "sales tax". Since medications are exempt from sales tax, why is not medical marijuana if it is in fact a "prescription drug"?

Look, I ask these questions tongue in cheek as I have always felt that if a physician feels marijuana is an appropriate drug for any of their patients, they have always had the ability to prescribe it. Ever heard of Brompton Cocktail? Google it. If they can prescribe that for pain, marijuana is child's play. This is simply the "foot in the door" to legalization of pot as Washington and Colorado have demonstrated.

I know from my fire service experience that pot is a "gateway" drug which is the buzz that leads weak minded people into trying other, more addictive drugs to achieve an even better buzz. Let them have it for all I care. With that kind of poor decision making, they will eventually take themselves out of the gene pool via overdose. Good riddance I say.

Ronald. Drs. are not allowed to write prescriptions for marijuana the users get a card somewhere. I don't know if a dr. gives it to them a state agency or who.

Pat, I think if you check the laws, a licensed physician has to recommend/refer the MJ for specific medical purposes. Friends were in California at the Santa Monica pier and every other shop was a "licensed doctor " who would write you authorization for the MJ card and you could get it on the spot. Recommend, prescribe, refer...it's all a semantics game. Big money in all this.

"Before passing Proposition 203 in 2010, Arizona voters originally passed a ballot initiative in 1996. However, the initiative stated that doctors would be allowed to write a "prescription" for marijuana. Since marijuana is still a Schedule I substance, federal law prohibits its prescription, making the initiative invalid. Medical marijuana "prescriptions" are more often called "recommendations" or "referrals" because of the federal prescription prohibition." http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/state-medical-marijuana-laws.aspx

Note that the Feds still have laws prohibiting the possession, sale and use of marijuana, but in light of all the "legalization" in some states, they have taken the position that they will not enforce those Federal laws as long as people are in compliance with the state's laws. Go figure. Either it is a State's Right issue and the Feds should keep their noses out of it, or it is Federal Law that trumps state law (supremacy clause) and they should do their job and enforce it!

I have read the law. You have to start with a doctor's referral to get a card. Call it prescription, referral, recommendation or whatever, it's all the same.

Ronald, A referral and prescription is not the same in the real medical world. You all can call it what you want, prescriptions for medicine, or referrals for illegal drugs, but it is wrong to be doing this. If a person is really in pain all the time, that little bit of marijuana is not going to last them a week and keep them pain free. If they are in so much pain how are they going to work to pay for it or is that something else that is going to be a freebee for a drug addict that the rest of us are going to pay for? I am in pain at least 20 hours out of 24, but I hang on and take maybe one over the counter Tylenol a day. I did get shots in my back once a year but since I have a Pacemaker and the dr. wants to do the shots using a MRI I have not had one in over 3 yrs. My back is almost destroyed from the neck down which effects my whole body. No I am not asking for sympathy, just stating a fact. Illegal drugs, alcohol, corps. and politicians are ruining our world. Most of them are using pain as an excuse. Think about it. Excuse me, but I think all the above in the last sentence are a pain in the a--.

I just had a thought. (: Maybe ASU, Evans and the alliance has been working to get Herbs shop, and the college here for the college students. Just what we need a marijuana shop and 6000 college students.

Pat Randall 8 months, 1 week ago

Now that we don't have a fire marshal, who did the inspections on the marijuana shop? Was all the fire equipment put in for a place that does cooking? A hood and fire retardant over the cooking appliances. Or was it looked over like the Red Elephant? Remember this is supposed to be a place for sick and hurting people to get drugs and we don't want the building to catch fire as they can't escape very fast if they are really in pain. Did the Health dept. do their inspections for three sinks in the kitchen plus a sink for washing their hands and all the other things they require in a cooking and eating establishment? It did say in the paper they were making ice cream and baking something, didn't it? Oh, and are the restrooms handicap accessible?

Rex Hinshaw 8 months, 1 week ago

The dispensary was designed to meet all town,and health dept. codes. The kitchen meets all the health dept. requirements for a commercial kitchen. The health dept. and the town did their inspections as did the fire marshal before he left. All applicable code requirements were met.

Barbara Rasmussen 8 months, 1 week ago

Perhaps someone could go to the Town Building Department and see who exactly signed off on all of the inspections and plans. Surely it must be a document that people can get copies of. Then there would be no more questions about who did or did not do inspections!

Pat Randall 8 months ago

The fire dept not health dept inspects the hood and fire prevention in the kitchen. The health dept has a whole different job with their inspections.

Rex Hinshaw 8 months ago

Pat, Thank you for educating me in an area I've been a professional in for over 40 years. I believe I was fairly clear that the Town , the Health Dept., and the Fire Dept. all did their respective inspections.

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Rex, Excuse me. We owned a real restaurant. Built from the ground up and know what we went thru with all the inspections to begin with and every year when our business license was renewed. How do you know what they did? Are you a town employee and check everything?

Rex Hinshaw 8 months ago

I'm the Architect on the project. I am responsible for code compliance. I have been involved with every aspect of the project from the begining. I know you owned and built a restaurant....when was that. The codes are chainged and updated on a regular basis. I have to deal with current codes and regulations. No, I haven't owned a restaurant or bar....but I have designed dozens.

Pat Randall 8 months ago

So, are architects perfect and were you there all the time there was work being done on the building? Have a nice night.

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Rex, I forgot one inspection, the Ariz. liquor dept. Alcohol is a controlled substance. I also had to have a background check and fingerprints taken at the liquor dept. Since you seem to have all the answers, who checks out the owners at the marijuana shop?

Rex Hinshaw 8 months ago

Pat, I simply tried to answer some of your questions. Yet you seem to want to attack me personally. That is very disappointing and doesn't forward discussion on this forum. Now you have a nice day.

Patricia Johnson 8 months ago

Rex: I greatly admire your patience and restraint!

John Lemon 8 months ago

Rex , I agree with Patricia. Thank you for your contributions. Ignore the negativity because there is nothing that you can do about it.

don evans 8 months ago

I did my own inspection this last weekend. I drove there and looked it over. To me, a Payson version of a cheap Fort Knox from the outside. CCTV surveillance cameras at strategic points on the roof. Large chain link fence surrounding the entire property. No see through windows. Only public access is via the front door. Someone has spent some big bucks on this place. The charade scam for getting a MM Card is that the dispensary contracts with a Doctor or may even have one staffed on site. Bring your $300-$400 bucks with you. See the contracted Doc (who gets their cut) spend 10-15 mins telling them you have chronic back pain or insomnia. They then sign off on you having a need for the card, for pain or etc. (the list keeps growing) Go back to the front counter, fill out some required state paperwork, present the exam (JOKE) Doc's referral ok, hand over your money. You will get the card that doesn't even have your photo on it. This joke was explained to me by a local who got their card and showed it to me. Now to get permission to cultivate your own eight plants costs a little more and some more criteria hoops. Hey, I wonder if Obama care will cover this?

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Rex, I am not attacking you personally, I think you are a nice guy. I don't like the marijuana store and I don't like some of the answers I get and will keep digging to try and get it closed. I know what legal pain medicine can do to a person. They start off with one or two pills or shots a month and not long they will do anything to get it to be able to take 10 or more a day. Soon you have a walking talking vegetable and their only thought is for the next dose to be happy. Here is something outside of my family not many people knew. My mother was a morphine addict for at least 5 years back in the 1950s. No one knows what hell it puts the patient and their family thru unless they have been there. I stopped her once from suicide by taking her pills away from her. Would have to drive from one end of the state to another to get the damn stuff for her. She started out with one or two headaches a year, and the dr. would give her a shot. That was fine. Then because of my dads job they moved around the state a lot so the dr. gave her the pills so she could give her self the injections. It was down hill from then on. After awhile they take it just to make them feel better not because of pain. You would not believe how easy it was to go to different drs. to get it. My mother died when I was 19 yrs. old. Mostly because of the pain medicine. My back is almost destroyed because of accidents and age. It really restricts what I like to do, dancing, walking places, cleaning house, and had to give up going to the lake to ride my Wave Runner. I did get shots in my back once a year or two from 1990 until 2010. Now I take 1 Tylenol 3 or 4 times a week because the dr. will not give me a shot without an MRI and can't have one because of my Pace maker. Every dr. I have gone to wants to give me some addictive pill and I refuse to take them. You learn to live with it. Massages, acupuncture, chiropractors and a few tears. I know I could walk into any drs. office, show them my cat scans and MRI reports and pictures and get a card. I don't want one. Now you all know more about my family and me than I have ever told anyone. I am not asking for sympathy, only understanding of why I am against the so called legal marijuana and how easy it is going to be to have more addicts causing more problems and hurt to their families.

Barbara Rasmussen 8 months ago

I just wonder where the people that are buying the MM get their money to do so. Even if i wanted to get a card i would not be able to afford the card much less the stuff to smoke or ingest or what ever else they have devised to do with it. Surely AHCCCS is not going to pay for this and it would be hard to imagine that Medicare or any other insurance company will pay for it as well. It is still a federal crime to possess the stuff and against the law to drive under the influence of it. And if it is truly a non-profit type business where do the profits go too? Do the owners just donate it to whatever charity they want to? I am with Pat on this one.

Walter Coleman 8 months ago

Pat R. sorry for all your pain and suffering. Direct your anger where it belongs. Mr. Henshaw simply answered your questions.

John Lemon 8 months ago

Barbara; the term "non-profit" can turn out to mean different things. For example, if a business earns million dollars the owner could pay him/herself a million dollars and claim that the business is "non-profit". A business owner could list a bunch of family members or friends as paid employees even though the persons never work a day. The money stays with the owner and his business is "non-profit". There are a lot of scams involving so-called charities that give a very small percentage of income to the charities that are in the name. A person has to investigate. A good question is: Can I see your non-profit status paper? Another good question is; What percentage of your income is given to xyz and can you prove it? As regards your question about money; if a person is getting Social Security or other welfare payments in cash there are no checks on where the cash is spent. On a lighter note, perhaps the Obama folks will give away MaryJane Stamps because the purchase will support agriculture :)

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Mr. Coleman, I am not directing anger at Rex, telling him what I think. Everyone has an opinion. I state mine when I feel like it. When I am angry the whole world will know. Just where do you think my anger should be directed if you know so much.

don evans 8 months ago

John, LOL.....You are exactly spot on how the operation works and PAYS it's self (owners) a tidy sum. As to where do the "questionable clients" get the money for the card and cannabis...so they may legally possess and transport it. The same way they pay for their tattoos, body piercings, satellite TV's, cigarettes, etc. They supplement their Govt. EBT card free income with other unreported Cash transaction income.

Don: Is it legal for them to transport it? Just because they have a card it does not make it legal for them to drive under the influence of marijuana. I am going to have to do some research.

Patricia Johnson 8 months ago

Oh, how wonderful it must be to act as judge and jury, questioning and criticizing the builder, the architect, the town, the business owner and his businesses practices and the customers of this clinic. Before you are so fast to pass judgment, please consider the following: In 2005, I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. Following my diagnosis and surgery, I began radiation (48 treatments), followed by several rounds of chemotherapy. Side effects included, but were not limited to: extreme nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, complete hair loss (which has never returned), loss of all of my teeth and toenails, weight loss of approximately 25 pounds and various and sundry other ailments. Because of my complete loss of appetite, periodic blood transfusions were also necessary. All of this while trying to earn a living, working 6 days a week. Then, I began chemotherapy treatments once again, this time weekly for one year (52 additional treatments, lasting 1-1/2 hours each) along with oral chemotherapy for the next 5 years. There were times that a small sip of water would send me into violent spasms of nausea and vomiting. The ONLY thing that helped me was marijuana. It helped my appetite, aided in restful sleep and calmed my nerves in a way no other medication I tried could. Then last year, as I lay in the Emergency Department at PRMC, I was told that I was in liver failure, and would die without a transplant. This damage was due to my extreme chemotherapy as well as having malaria at a younger age. Not wanting to waste a perfectly good donor liver on an old women like me, I decided to do a little research on alternative medicines as treatment for liver failure. I started on another herb with medical approval because there was nothing else that could be done for me. As of this past week, my blood tests are now normal, and the CAT scan results showed no further damage to my liver. I'm still working 6 days a week. Many, many people can benefit from the use of marijuana and wish to procure it legally. I have chosen not to do so at this time but I wouldn't hesitate to if and when my cancer returns. So, please lighten up a bit. Marijuana users are NOT all potential drug addicts or users. Some of us are just plain people, trying to earn a living while fighting for our lives, and marijuana makes that path a lot smoother. p.s With the help of my health insurance, which I pay dearly for, many of my medical bills were covered. To this day, I send PRMC a monthly payment, and probably will until I die.

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Patricia Johnson, You have your opinion and I have mine. I am glad you are healthy now. I think if you all go back and read what I wrote, most were questions. Or facts I know and can prove.

Pat R. I would be the first to defend your right to express your opinion. You express yours quite often. Please extend that same courtesy to others. My opinion was and is you attacked Rex Henshaw. Rex simply answered your questions, stated his qualifications, and his first hand knowledge. As to simply stating your opinion, I don't think so. In responses to both Rex and myself you ask "if you know so much". It is quite apparent you do not think medical MJ clinics should exists. I have the same opinion I voted against the passage of the current law. However I must respect the majority in Arizona that voted to approve medical MJ.
To Pat J. I admire you for your courageous fight. God bless and do whatever you have to stay strong. I do have a question. A few years ago my daughter was prescribed THC in pill form. My daughter, due to her disease, was losing body weight to the point of loss of life. THC was prescribed to stimulate her appetite. Would this therapy relieve the side effects of chemo?

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Mr. Coleman,
May I ask what is THC? I think asking "if you know so much," is a question.

I have seen THC in doing my research on the marijuana legalization pages. It is the mind altering component in the Cannabis plant. I still do not understand how any of it works for treatment of disease. There is a lot of information on the web and I try to be open minded about things but it is extremely hard when I feel that these dispensaries are operating under the guises of non-profit organizations. and when i read the one here in Payson will be trading their "ice cream" for more plants. Sorry that raises lots of flags. My concern is what happens if a child in the household gets the ice cream, brownies, lollipops or whatever else they have concocted up and ingests it. Will it be harmful to them? can they become violently ill or worse die? too many unanswered questions as far as i am concerned! Mr. Coleman I sincerely hope that your daughter is doing much better. I am sending out positive thoughts for her.

Ronald Hamric 8 months ago

Seems this issue is as thorny as abortion and other hot button things. Marijuana is currently classified as a controlled substance, not unlike most prescription drugs are highly regulated. That MJ is simply a hemp weed that grows pretty much unattended wherever it is present, and has for centuries, changes nothing regarding current law. As to those who use MJ whenever recommended by a physician, whether as a THC prescription or via the "card" points to the fact that doctors can pretty much prescribe anything that they feel will help their patients with whatever malady they have diagnosed. They have always had the ability to do this. If you think marijuana is a good treatment for nausea and loss of appetite, then you might want to talk to your physician about Brompton Cocktail., If they feel it is warranted, they can prescribe that "medication" as well. Google it if you want to know what the "cocktail" consists of.

The "invention" of medical marijuana is simply a ruse by those advocating the legalization of that plant. Personally I have seen the downside to simply toking a joint and I know from personal experience that it is often a gateway drug to more powerful stimulants.

If we as a society choose to legalize marijuana as has been done with alcohol, then that will then be the law of the land. As long as it is an upfront and honest debate as to the goals/results of that legalization, and not all the smokescreen and false information that has been put out by those that see a great profit to be made .

For those that feel they benefit from this substance, by all means no one would deny your right to whatever medical "treatment" makes your quality of life more pleasant. However, to imply that these Marijuana Clinics are anything but a front towards the legalization of another substance that will simply compound the social problems we already face with alcohol, is simply being naive or very disingenuous.

THC is the principal and most active chemical in marijuana. Barbara R. is correct in stating it is the mind altering component in the cannabis plant. I do not believe Marijuana or THC is a treatment or cure for any disease. Marijuana is used medically to treat symptoms of disease and side effects of treatments. My question is still out there for someone who has the knowledge and not just opinion. Does Marinol the prescribed medication have the same benefits to the patient as Marijuana in treating negative side effects? Thank you Barbara R. for your positive thoughts. My daughter is still coping with the disease. Deterioration of internal organs is a daily fight. My grandson passed away Christmas night at 24 years of age, twice the expected life span, from the ravaging of their disease.

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Mr. Coleman, Go to Google and type in Marinol. Go to the FDA sight and click on the professional sight, not consumer or patient. . Or click on any of the others and I think you will find your answer. Hope this helps.

Rex Hinshaw 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Pat, "If you know so much" is an "in your face statement" and YOU know it! There is a big difference between discussing a topic and attacking someone who may disagree with you. You bring up many issues on this forum that deserve discussion....you research...,you state your opinion. But when someone disagrees with you.....you ATTACK. I don't take it personally anymore since I met you....but you could accomplish more with just a slight adjustment in your approach.

Pat Randall 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Rex, Took you a long time to get back to me. (: I could get all upset and whine with someone telling me to make adjustments in my approach. I am not that thin skinned. If that was said to anyone else they would get all mad and hurt. As I have said many times everyone has a right to their opinion and that is yours. The best thing about the forum, no one is forced to read anything on it. When they see my name just skip on to the next comments. Right?

Bernice Winandy 7 months, 3 weeks ago

But Pat, if we skipped your comments, we would miss all the fun!!! :-)

Good discussion. I can see that as Ron said this Marijuana thing is as controversial as abortion. Both sides stay true to their side.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.