Marijuana cards

Comments

Pat Randall 8 months ago

I had a very painful night so decided to see if I could get in to see a pain dr. Had seen a new sign advertising pain relief. Went there this morning. Sign on door says hrs. 7:00 to 9:00 pm Mondays and some time for a couple of hrs. on Tues. AM. No other office hours. Next to that was a sign advertising cards for Marijuana. Ran like hell back to my car and drove away. Didn't take long for a maybe licensed person to get on the band wagon.

Barbara Rasmussen 8 months ago

I have seen the sign for the Medical Marijuana cards also. I was shocked that it went up so fast. There are actually several other local businesses that have come into being because of it being legal. Just think what people think when they are passing through town now? Seeing signs with the advertisements. It is a lucrative business that undoubtedly supports other businesses albeit Non-Profit. Are they all non-profit I wonder?

Ronald Hamric 8 months ago

Non profit? Non profit my foot. The ONLY reason this "business" is in business is because, as was aptly stated in their Roundup promo, they anticipate making millions. Where there is large amounts of money to be made, the snake oil salesmen will be right on the spot.

I agree with you Ronald. Just can not even fathom how they got the status non-Profit no matter what they say or do.

Rex Hinshaw 8 months ago

Ron , Barara & Pat, My wife is going through what Ms Johnson has discribed. If this can give her some relief and help her survive...then we will try it. I don't care at all what you think! We are trying to save her life. Your comments are petty and small...and I have lost any respect for your opionons. Why would anyone want someone to suffer? You talk about this subject as though it is just a political issue. I assure you it is NOT. If there is something that can relieve nausia and help your appitite when you are sick and cannot eat...why would you want to denie that to my wife....shame on you . Ron, you need to look at this from a different perspective. Pat, You are treading a fine line line with me....if you continue with your attack on something that could help my wife...then any respect I have given you is gone. I know that doesn't mean alot to you....but I am serious.

Mr. Hinshaw, My sympathies for you and your wife. I lost my wife of 47 years after her 6 year battle with cancer. I KNOW what pain is and I KNOW what doctors can prescribe for it. This trial you and your wife are currently facing is not unique to you. My issue with this whole "medical marijuana " issue has absolutely nothing to do with the medical benefits of THC, Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana (hemp). If your wife's doctor has implied that there is no other "medication" that will help her with her issue, you might want to get a second opinion. Synthetic THC called Marinol was approved as a medicine by the FDA. They can prescribe that medication and it does not carry the downsides of smoking marijuana. Smoking marijuana results in many of the same risks associated with smoking tobacco, including coughing, increased susceptibility to lung infections, airway obstruction, and probably an increased risk of developing lung cancer. Yes, these "clinics" can provide the THC via other mediums such as "ice cream", brownies, etc. where the THC is ingested, but those means of getting the THC into the system and receiving the benefits is much slower via that route. Rex, this is not rocket science. The medical establishment has been dealing with pain and other health issues for centuries. Hemp has been around for centuries. Don't you find it odd that in just the past decade, medical science has just "discovered" the medical benefits of "canaboids"? That that "discovery" just happens to coincide with the push by more recent generations to "legalize" the use of marijuana? I know you are much more discerning than that as I have read too many of your posts to think otherwise. Again, my prayers out to you and your wife.

Patricia Johnson 8 months ago

Rex, After reading these judgmental posts regarding the use of marijuana as treatment for the side effects of chemotherapy, I am glad that no one....not my employer, my friends nor my family knew of my marijuana use. The only person who knew was my "dealer", a chemo nurse with over 20 years of experience treating hundreds of chemo patients. She realized that, because of the nature of the chemo that I was taking, that I would probably die of either dehydration or malnutrition before the cancer even had a chance to kill me. The day I sat in the chemo "suite" here in Payson receiving my treatment, the gentleman receiving treatment in the chair next to me died. Just like that. Alive one moment, dead the next. His wife had dropped him off to go shopping and returned to identify a corpse and call the mortuary. After observing this, I broke down (for the first and only time) and this angel offered me hope in the form of marijuana. In her experience, it was the only thing that had helped many patients survive the treatment She took a risk to help a patient in need and for that I am eternally grateful. As for judgment....I think I'll just leave that up to God.

Mr. Hinshaw: I am in no way a cold-hearted or uncaring person. I lost my father and mother and 4 other immediate family members to cancer. Their suffering was tremendous and at the time Marijuana was not legal. Whether any of them would have accepted it would have been anyone's guess but that point is not even a viable discussion now. I am sorry for your wife's pain and suffering. I was simply wondering why so many business came into being so quickly with the opening of the dispensary and if they were all considered non-profit. I have been unable to find out for sure but as far as I can tell the dispensary does not contribute to sales tax. No one knows the answer or they are not willing to share it. Mrs. Randall was simply asking if the person who opened the Medical Marijuana Card place was legal and licensed to do so. It is my understanding that only a licensed physician with credentials to issue cards can do so. not just anyone who sets up shop. If I am wrong I would appreciate being told that. As for Mr. Hamric it seems he has been in the EMS community and they have to deal with the uses of illegal/legal substances and their effects not only on the users/abusers but to many innocents as well.

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Rex, I am very sorry about your wife. If it is your choice of treatment go for it. My problem with it is, if it is such a miracle drug and legal why aren't drs. allowed to write prescriptions and it being sold in pharmacies? I don't think anyone would object to that. I think it is the way it is being done that is wrong. Some low lifes are making a fortune off of someone else's pain and claiming to be non profit. Where is the money going to????

John Lemon 8 months ago

Mr. Hamrick makes a number of excellent observations. THC has been prescribed for years. In fact, let's take a little side trip : Cannabis and "natural" drugs have been known and used for centuries. Aspirin came from a Willow. Caffeine from various plants, etc. Cultures assign moral and/or legal judgments to the use of various substances. Some Native Americans use "trips" as a religious experience. It runs the gamut from "who cares" to criminalization. Perhaps our culture (if there is any left) inherited a position that was tied to the Christian belief that the body is a temple and to defile it is morally corrupt as opposed to, say, who cares. It seems to me that we "Posters" ought to be careful to separate the personal moral positions from the cultural or legal positions so that other readers do not become indignant about one when the Poster is coming from a different position. The moral, legal, political issues are quite different and sometimes we have to adjust a viewpoint to fit within a system that differs from ours or work to change the system. MJ is Federally still illegal. Medical MJ has been approved. The morals of some people perhaps will conflict with one side or another and adjustments will have to be made or psychological consequences will be paid. Native Americans in one area of Az. are allowed to use Peyote and even cross into Mexico to gather it for their observances. What purpose will it serve for me to get nutty about it?

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Barb, I had a phone call last night and was told that the place I went to is owned by a dr. that is practicing medicine here in town at a different location. That is why the hours are so strange. Don't know if that is a fact.

I had not heard that. I wonder if somewhere in the law there is a stipulation that a Dr. can not give out recommendations in a normal office setting and it has to be done in a different location. More research.

Rex Hinshaw 8 months ago

Ron ,Pat ,and Barbara I was angered by what I took as flippant remarks by all of you. Pat...you insinuated that the Dr. might not be licensed. Barbara and Ron...You both questioned the legitmaticy of their non-profit status....it is mandated by state law. But that's not really what bothered me...Ron, our son is a doctor,his wife is a doctor,my wife is a hospital adminstrator,she has very good doctors treating her. What was prescribed was not working. I'm sorry for you loss, you seem to be well educated when it comes to cancer treatments and your are correct....it is not rocket science. Why is a natural substance that can ease pain , relieve nausea , and stimulate appitite not available to the medical community? This makes no sense....lot's of drugs are illigal unless prescribed by a doctor. My wife is not here in Az., so the debate is academic for me. Thank you for your responces...they were kind and appreciated.

Rex, Glad you are able to understand my concerns and questions by this whole approach with Medical Marijuana and "cards" when we should be, like Pat has said, getting whatever a doctor feels is appropriate for their patients issues via a pharmacy with a licensed pharmacist. That approach has worked for both doctors and patients for decades, why this new "approach" with a Federally controlled substance? I am very much a skeptic as you have noticed.

Pat Randall 8 months ago

Rex, Barb and I were in no way trying to be flippant. I think the state lawmakers are stupid. They should have made the law where a person could go into their own dr. and get a prescription for a pharmacy to dispense marijuana. There is something very wrong with our medical system. I am not judging your son and daughter in-law. Please don't get me wrong again. We all know there are many drugs being dispensed that are very dangerous and have many side effects. I have a list of 30 or more I have reactions to. Right now I am trying a new blood pressure medicine that has made every muscle in my body cramp and am nauseated. Nothing compared to your wife I am sure.

Friends again ? Pat

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.