Fire wise council NOT!

Comments

Pat Randall 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I think we need a separate string on the fire wise article in the paper to day. It is to hard to keep up with the comments below the news articles. It is so comforting that the council knows more about protecting our town from forest fires than other towns that have adopted the code and our fire dept. As I drive around town I see a lot of places that are just waiting for a lit cigarette or some mischief maker to start a fire in one of them and we lose houses, residents and fire fighters. I was raised in Payson, left for 42 years then moved back. The first thing I told the Realtor was I DON'T want a house in the trees. Have any of the council been near a forest fire? I believe we need to start with a total new council and no Realtors on it. Cut the pay for them and use it to help the townspeople clear their lots.

Ronald Hamric 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Pat,

I think the Payson City Council has made a shortsighted error. The number one responsibility of any government is the safety and protection of it's citizens. If they have honestly done everything within their power to secure that safety and security, then they are fairly/rightly allowed to focus on other issues such as enhancing growth potential and generating more revenues via that growth. That they kept referring to "developers" in their response to the "fire professionals" recommendations clearly shows that they have a skewed sense of prioritizing their responsibilities. In all my 71 years I have yet to meet an elected official that was not more focused on generating more revenue, than they were on any other aspect of their elected responsibility. Taxes are simply a "drug" to politicians of all stripes. They simply cannot get enough. I think someone could get rich by starting a "Tax Rehab" for elected officials. It appears on it's face that the Payson City Council is more concerned with the plight of developers than they are the potential that is surrounding and within their fair city. Perhaps they will come to appreciate their first responsibility and listen to the advice of those that will and do have to face the inferno that is coming.

Ronald, If by some miracle the SLE or whatever gets the F.S. for ASU will they cut any trees or clear anything out? I don't think we really have to worry about them getting it, just wondering about the trees. The mayor that put the ordinance in effect not to cut trees, clear cut his property to build a house before it went into effect. That's the kind of people we elect.

dale kasl 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm worried about fires.I have lots of trees that should be cut down.I talked to one guy,but he was not licensed and never came back.I can not do it myself because of my heart.I wish I could find somebody to come once a month for a fair price.

Barbara Rasmussen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

It is apparent that this Town council and Mayor do not have the citizens of Payson first in their priorities. They have repeatedly sided with the developers in changing the fire codes and/or basically doing away with them because the developer wants to do something that does not follow the codes. If they do not listen to the Fire Officials that have years of training and experience in the area then it is time for a change. The people of Payson need to present a united front and tell this town council and Mayor what is important to them.

Barbara Rasmussen 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If anyone has ever heard of the Gladiator Fire which affected the community of Crown King? Almost 10,000 acres were burned by this fire in 2012. The cause of this inferno? A structure fire.

Dale, What kind of license do you need to cut trees?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.