The true Cost of your Medical Prescription Drugs

Comments

don evans 8 months, 1 week ago

WOW… AN EYE OPENER Verified -snopes.com: Generic Drugs

Let's hear it for Costco!! (This is just mind-boggling!) Make sure you read all the way past the list of the drugs. The woman that signed below is a Budget Analyst out of federal Washington , DC offices.

Did you ever wonder how much it costs a drug company for the active ingredient in prescription medications? Some people think it must cost a lot, since many drugs sell for more than $2.00 per tablet. We did a search of offshore chemical synthesizers that supply the active ingredients found in drugs approved by the FDA. A significant percentage of drugs sold in the United States contain active ingredients made in other countries. In media independent investigation of how much profit drug companies really make, we obtained the actual price of active ingredients used in some of the most popular drugs sold in America . The data below speaks for itself.

Celebrex: 100 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $130.27 Cost of general active ingredients: $0.60 Percent markup: 21,712%

Claritin: 10 mg Consumer Price (100 tablets): $215.17 Cost of general active ingredients: $0.71 Percent markup: 30,306%

Keflex: 250 mg Consumer Price (100 tablets): $157.39 Cost of general active ingredients: $1.88 Percent markup: 8,372%

Lipitor:20 mg Consumer Price (100 tablets): $272.37 Cost of general active ingredients: $5.80 Percent markup: 4,696%

Norvasc:10 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $188.29 Cost of general active ingredients: $0.14 Percent markup: 134,493%

Paxil: 20 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $220.27 Cost of general active ingredients: $7.60 Percent markup: 2,898%

Prevacid:30 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $44.77 Cost of general active ingredients: $1.01 Percent markup: 34,136%

Prilosec:20 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $360.97 Cost of general active ingredients $0.52 Percent markup: 69,417%

Prozac:20 mg Consumer price (100 tablets) : $247.47 Cost of general active ingredients: $0.11 Percent markup: 224,973%

Tenormin:50 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $104.47 Cost of general active ingredients: $0.13 Percent markup: 80,362%

Vasotec: 10 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $102.37 Cost of general active ingredients: $0.20 Percent markup: 51,185%

Xanax: 1 mg Consumer price (100 tablets) : $136.79 Cost of general active ingredients: $0.024 Percent markup: 569,958%

Zestril:20 mg Consumer price (100 tablets) $89.89 Cost of general active ingredients $3.20 Percent markup: 2,809%

Zithromax:600 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $1,482.19 Cost of general active ingredients: $18.78 Percent markup: 7,892%

Zocor:40 mg Consumer price (100 tablets): $350.27 Cost of general active ingredients: $8.63 Percent markup: 4,059%

Zoloft: 50 mg Consumer price: $206.87 Cost of general active ingredients: $1.75 Percent markup: 11,821%

Continued>>>> Since the cost of prescription drugs is so outrageous, I thought everyone should know about this. It pays to shop around. This helps to solve the mystery as to why they can afford to put a Walgreen's on every corner. On Monday night, Steve Wilson, an investigative reporter for Channel 7 News in Detroit, did a story on generic drug price gouging by pharmacies. He found in his investigation, that some of these generic drugs were marked up as much as 3,000% or more. Yes, that's not a typo: three thousand percent! So often, we blame the drug companies for the high cost of drugs, and usually rightfully so. But in this case, the fault clearly lies with the pharmacies themselves. For example, if you had to buy a prescription drug, and bought the name brand, you might pay $100 for 100 pills.

The pharmacist might tell you that if you get the generic equivalent, they would only cost $80, making you think you are 'saving' $20. What the pharmacist is not telling you is that those 100 generic pills may have only cost him $10! You do not have to be a paid member of COSTCO to use their pharmacy. Just tell them at the front door you wish to use the pharmacy only.

Pat Randall 8 months, 1 week ago

I have always heard Snopes was the place to go for truth. I went on it today and the medicine article is so wrong. I take or have taken some of the drugs and I never paid anything near what they listed. Even for brand name drugs not generic. Most of the drugs they have listed are not even priced at todays prices. Go back and look at the dates. Something is very wrong. Lost my faith in Snopes first time I have gone on it.

Kathryn Lewallen 8 months, 1 week ago

Snopes and truthorfiction.com both verify the results of investigative journalists like the one Don included in the second part of his post. But Snopes doesn't go along with the list of prices- in fact, after the chart, it says, "This chart is of dubious accuracy and has little relevance (other than an inflammatory one), as far more goes into the retail pricing of drugs than the raw cost of their active ingredients. Pharmaceutical companies expend money on the research and development costs of creating the drugs, plus the overhead costs of manufacturing, marketing, and shipping them; as well, pharmacies must sell drugs for more than their wholesale prices in order to cover the overhead costs of store operations (including pharmacists' salaries)."

So you can still trust Snopes, but not other's posts- always good to check them out for yourself.

Kathryn, I went to Snopes and read the drug prices. If it isn't right they shouldn't put it on there.

Kathryn, and Don. The information on Snopes that was quoted was printed in 2004 and 2006. What a waste of time Don.

God love ya Pat, just keep forkin it over for your med's. And where can I buy locally soft gravel to put in my yard so I can walk on it barefooted??

Don, I do not buy my drugs at Walgreens, maybe that is your problem with the cost. I have insurance for drugs. which helps a little. I really hate to have generic drugs as you never know if they are any good. Look on the bottles and see where the ingredients are from. I had a bottle of Nitrostat that half the pills would not dissolve. Gives you a chill believe me. They were made by a different company than where my others were made. Some ingredients are made in India, China and Japan. It is time for the U.S.A. to bring our industries back home. If you find any soft gravel let me know. Please. Think I will just have good old dirt brought in and dumped on top of the gravel. See how the town likes that.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.