no comments ?

Comments

Pat Randall 3 years, 7 months ago

No comments on the School board member resigning or sports injuries ? Guess it is true, no one cares about the way the schools are run or the injuries in sports. How many serious injuries last year ? Don't vote. Just sit back and complain about your taxes.

roy sandoval 3 years, 7 months ago

Hi Pat: I'll go ahead and comment here. I know Stephanie very well. It happened as she said. My former secretary Sherry Goode who was outstanding in every respect was given the same talk and treatment only she was told, "I can terminate you at any time without cause." She just went ahead and quit because it wasn't worth staying and working under those conditions. Mr. Fruth as well as "nonrenewed" for "non disciplinary" reasons and not given a reason as to why. Unfortunately the law is such that people can act with cowardice.
As for Mr. Myer, remember, he worked for me for two years. I'm not at all surprised that he did not function well on the board, or that he quit early. Truth be told, he was a poor to mediocre teacher who sat his kids in front of a computer and told them to learn (he taught business). When I first took the school he was on the leadership team. He spent so much time dominating the meetings with his, "My experience in business and industry..." it impeded progress. He would just shut people down. Hence I had to kick him off. The Board President, Rory Huff subsequently complained about him as a board member many times to me. Huff would say, "I can't believe the guy, he's a nut, he's from outer space or something." By the way, they guy who replaced him (Joe Parone) has built the business classes and associated clubs into really strong, active groups that are competing nationally. In the end, Meyer's actions really speak much more loudly about his standards. The fact that would tell his constituents one thing during his campaign while his secret main agenda was to get rid of me speaks of his standard of integrity. The fact that he would speak so brazenly and boldly to a reporter then whimper not to print it speaks of his standards for discretion. The fact that his is bailing out half way into his commitment speaks of his standards for commitment and follow through. Pitiful!

The real people however that should resign are those that facilitated this fiasco. Superintendent Casey O'Brien and Board President Rory Huff. Make no mistake, O'Brien already tried to "slash and dash" once last May when he applied for the Roosevelt job in the middle of the tumult. He will most likely announce he is looking and leaving in December and "spin it" into something like, "now that things are running smoothly" Oh really?

Dean: I am no longer an employee of PUSD. But - I am a voter and constituent and am speaking as such. You have to keep that in mind. I am speaking from a different perspective. Yes, I have grave concerns about the school district and the current leadership and will continue to speak out as a constituent. As well, yes I have provided my thoughts to the Roundup and will continue to do so.

Absolutely the rest of the Board was complicit. That does not however, mean that the process was above board or carried out with integrity.

Thank you for your response Mr. Sandoval. Finally you can defend yourself. Even tho we have had some hot posts to each other I don't think you and Tim were treated fairly, or honestly.
Remember what goes around comes around.

That's just it Dean. I am a homeowner, permanent resident voter and constituent here in Payson. I am in no way acting in an official or school capacity. Where I work is not a consideration. If a person works for the bowling alley and makes statements regarding school politics, contacting their employer would be against all rules and policies and rights regarding freedom of speech. Remember, Board members are elected officials. Just like legislators, town council members or any other elected official. They have a responsibility to answer to their constituents, the voting public about their actions. This is a fundamental democratic principle. Somehow it has been obfuscated with Board members such that they feel they can act with impunity. Not so.

Melissa Durbin 3 years, 7 months ago

Wow, all the comments :( .... but it would be a shame not to show my gratitude. My son had a very hard time his last few years in school but thank's to the persistence of Mr. Sandoval, Mr Fruth and the beloved Mrs. Goode, my son graduated in 2008. He strugled just like many and he did not walk because he made a bad choice on a end of year prank however he is finishing his second year in college, getting married in Jan. 2011, is a lead camp christian counselor and is in a internship position in ministry. I will always be very grateful for those who work with our young adults. I'm sure that the Lord has something special for Mr Sandoval and Fruth and sometimes it requires being moved in order to touch the lives of others. Thank you

don evans 3 years, 7 months ago

Ran into my friend Tim Fruth this AM. A short conversation as he had business pending and some friends with him. He is so happy in his new position. He even looks better physically. I did not delve into any above the above with him and would not in the social situation we were in at the time. I'm just happy for him AND Mr. Sandoval. I'm glad Mr. Sandoval is starting to shed some light on what the heck was and IS going on with the so called school board (A joke in my opinion). How the hell you can terminate (FIRE) documented evaluated outstanding employees without cause (REASON) is an outrage and very wrong. I don't give a hoot what the Arizona Law is or says. If it allows for that to occur, then it is against every decent fair work ethic I know and believe in. A true demagog's cowardly way of playing favorites or enforcing personal vendettas behind a phony veil of silence. May the truth finally come out and the local self important Administration elites be run out of dodge.

Hi Malissa: Thank you and congratulations! It took your fortitude and support as a parent to make it happen! How cool that he's going into ministry.

Mr. Fruth and I are part of what is called a Turn Around process. Whiteriver is a Tier I school meaning it is at the bottom 5% of the country in student achievement and top 5% of substance abuse etc. I was brought in as a part of the Turn Around Principal with three years to turn things around. I was able to choose my own team and I needed solid, competent people I knew I could trust so I brought Tim and Jason.

We are part of a larger team which was hired to turn around two other Tier 1 schools. Whiteriver is one of the only districts in the country to have 3 Tier I schools. Anyway, we have made a great deal of headway. We have kicked out the drug dealers, blocked out the bootleggers who used to sell kids booze at the edge of campus and now have all the kids going to class by basically "herding" them and using an all hands on deck way of blocking all the outside exits. Turns out, there are a whole bunch of really cool kids going to school there. They are thankful we are making it safe. In fact, The "way high ups" from the State Department are coming next Friday. The kids who are really talented are making a video to show them our progress thus far. Like I said, they are great kids.

As well, I work with some folks on the turn around team and my current staff that are just dynamite and sold out to kids. It's about the deepest pool of professional talent I could ever ask for. My Turn-around Director was a High School Principal in the Valley for 16 years, then worked for the College Board, then was an Associate Superintendent for the State Superintendent of Instruction. He has the state sup. on speed dial so when we have problems making something happen, he just calls and removes barriers.

We are on the national radar because of the severity of the problems. We are working our butts off but the kids are really warming up to us and answering the challenge. You kind of fall in love with them! I'm not sure I've ever had so much fun while working this hard. Nor have I ever experienced so much support.

Best of luck to your son! I hope the Lord really uses him and the adversity he overcame to graduate!

Roy

According to Payson School Website. School board members now. Rory Huff President Barb Underwood VP Vicki Holmes member Richard Meyer member Matt Van Camp member

Think it might not be right?

Isn't there a school board election coming up soon? I think I read Vicki Holmes is not running again. Some people think it is a life time job.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.