Should teachers be role models ??

Comments

Rex Hinshaw 2 years, 7 months ago

Pat, I don't know exactly what you mean....but if it is ....your a teacher....your rules are different than mine....that's wrong ! You may not like it but , teachers are just regular people....who deal with kids. The pay is not that great...and the NEA has highjacked the issue.....I think the unionazation of teachers has been a disaster.

Pat Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Rex, I mean should unmarried pregnant women be teaching school. What impression does this give the students? Now what did you mean by your first sentence?

don evans 2 years, 7 months ago

Pat, good luck on that one. A hot button issue most Employee Administrators don't like to discuss publicly. On LAPD currently, I would venture to say that 15% or higher of the sworn female officers, are in light duty positions due to pregnancy or related issues. And, at least 1/3 of them are not married. Then, after the child birth, come the claims of child care issues necessitating that they can only work certain shift hours of their choosing. And most are accomodated! When I worked Gila County Probation, we had an unmarried Female Juvenile Probation Officer become pregnant. After staring to show, The Administration Supervisors did not like the image it portrayed to the Juveniles she supervised, or the public aware of her status. They moved her to another position not of her likeing. She sued the County and won as I recall. See Federal EEOC Pregnancy Discrimination Law> http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/pregnancy.cfm

robert young 2 years, 7 months ago

Teachers are role models whether you, I or they think they should be or not. That said, there is nothing illegal about an unmarried woman being pregnant, and you cannot impose your own moral values on someone else. If she's a good teacher, who cares? I sure don't. I doubt seriously that the kids care, either. It's 2012, not 1952.

Then why do they have sex education classes and suggest abstinance? I am sure the students laugh about it. Somewhere someone should be setting better examples for our youth whether they pay any attention or not. KIds spend more waking moments with teachers than with any one else. Hypocrites all !!!! Do as I say not as I do.

There is a difference between a teenaged student and an adult teacher. I don't know many adults practicing abstinence, at least not intentionally...

Kim Chittick 2 years, 7 months ago

I guess that I don't see the difference between a teacher as a role model and an athlete as a role model. Actually, that is not true. I don't see too many kids looking up to, revering, idolizing or emulating teachers. Kids don't beg for a jersey with their teachers name on it, or buy sneakers that their teacher endorses. Teachers don't get paid millions of dollars to play. While I personally don't much care for the idea of an umarried teacher being pregnant. I also recognize that it is a different world than the one in which I grew up. The terms "baby daddy" and "baby mama" are in common usage. Unmarried parents are getting pregnant and making babies without benefit of a marriage license. And I feel that parents have a much larger responsibility to be a good role model to the kids than teachers do.

Either you are all missing the point or just don't give a darn what the kids see and learn in school. Drop the sex education classes. Teacher showing by example. Yes it is the parents job to be role models and no matter how hard they try sometimes it doesn't work. All adults should be good role models. No matter what pay they are earning.

Pat, I don't think anybody is missing your point. You don't like the mixed message. But this isn't a moral question, it's a legal question. You may or I might not like an unmarried pregnant woman teaching teenagers, but what would you have done about it? Fire her? Put her on leave?. Tell her to wear a Moo-Moo? Good luck with that. Personally, I think the whole idea of "role models" is ridiculous anyway. I've seen kids from great parents turn out badly and kids from terrible families turn out just fine. My parents each were married and divorced a couple of times, yet all four of their kids have been married for more than 30 years, including me. I have a lot of former teachers and coaches I looked up to and have remained close to through the years. I had some crappy coaches and teachers, too. But I made my own choices, and I can't remember ever once asking "what would he/she do?" Was I influenced by them? Maybe. But others who were taught by them and close to them didn't all make the same choices that I made. And I didn't always make the right choices either. We are always surrounded by "role models" good and bad.

boboby, Right, I don't like mixed messages.
The other one that really bothers me is fund raisers for kids that most sell alcohol to raise the money. Mixed message. We will raise money for you selling alcohol.
Then tell the kids drinking alcohol is not good for you, it causes car accidents, unwanted pregnancies, and probably a whole list of other reasons.

boboby, What haven't you heard about before? You haven't seen or read about all the fund raisers that go before the council to get a liquor license to raise money for kids activities or clubs? Or you haven't seen the MAAD stickers and others on cars telling kid not to use alcohol. Or read about how many kids have signed agreements they won't use alcohol?

Dan Haapala 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow Pat, having been gone a while I come back to find you have not. The hardest lessons to pass on to kids are not the right and wrong of moral or legal issues. They are the ones dealing with the consequences of personal decisions. All decisions have consequences. I personally don't want teachers telling children that sexual intercourse is a right of pleasure. I'd rather it was taught from a basis of procreation. That is what it's all about. The more we teach and show our children that personal pleasure, no matter how it's attained, is okay, then the less we are telling them about the consequences of their actions. An unmarried teacher, pregnant with child, not contemplating abortion, in my mind has a wonderful learning experience to pass on.....if her ethics of responsibility are in the right place.

Kim Chittick 2 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, I have been busy today and only just got back to the board! Pat, no, I absolutely get your point and I agree completely. I do not like the idea of an unmarried and pregnant teacher. However, I also realize that the more's and values of yesteryear are gone by the wayside. I do think that it sends the wrong message to young girls, who fail to recognize that the teacher went to college and got her career in place, before she got pregnant. Therefore, the assumption is that said teacher will be able to support her child and not rely on the government or the taxpayers to do it for her. Whereas, the young girls see their teacher pregnant and unmarried and may think that might be the right thing for them as well. My opinion on sex ed, or even the advocation of abstinence, in the school curriculum is probably a lot different than that of most of the posters here. I personally would prefer that schools stick to teaching the basics; reading, writing and arithmetic and leave sexual education, morals and values to be taught at home where they belong and where the parents control what their kids are learning; not some teacher who may not have the slightest concept of the beliefs in the students home.
Finally, and I hesitate to bring this up, however, I must. To address Don's post regarding female police officers getting pregnant and taking advantage of it to get easier shifts and/or assignments: I would be curious to know how many of those female officers were impregnated by male co-workers? Oh, and one more thing: I know that Pat and I will never agree on this, however, I fail to see the wrong in an organization offering a lovely glass of wine or a cocktail at a benefit dinner. Or beer being sold at the rodeo to raise money for scholarships. There are certain rights and privileges that are reserved for adults, just as there are certain things that are offered only for kids. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with telling kids, "do as I say, not as I do". As a matter of fact, I think that is one of the biggest problems with our society now, parents are afraid to tell their kids exactly that! There are plenty of adults who smoke, by this philosophy, is the fact of them smoking in front of kids and grandkids sending the message that it is ok to smoke? Gosh, I hope not!

Kimmer, I agree with some of what you said. I smoke, but did not smoke while I was pregnant. My dad started when he was about 6 or 7 yrs old. After he was injured by a horse at 76 yrs. old and in the hospital for about 6 weeks he quit smoking. Wasn't allowed in the hospital. His parents did not smoke. He started nagging at me for smoking. I finally told him. "Daddy if you had not smoked when I was growing up I probably wouldn't be smoking now." He never said another word to me about it. I have 3 kids 2 did smoke, one never has and one of the others quit. There is no accounting for why people start smoking. It is a nasty, very expensive habit. Now back to the alcohol at fund raisers for kids. I still think it is a bad idea. I can go three or four hours somewhere without smoking and donate money for the kids. If you have been to any of the Pioneer Dinners you know that. I got something in return for my donation 2 cedar chests and a gun cabinet that were made in wood working at the high school. Then I gave them to 3 of my grand kids.

Pat Randall 2 years, 6 months ago

Some employers have contracts for employees to sign which gives them the right to fire them without being sued. Probably the oldest one is not compete in the same kind of job for a stated length of time. There are places now that if you smoke you won't be hired. Not just smoke at work but anywhere even in your own home. Insurance is cheaper if you don't smoke. I think it should be put into the teachers contract, I will not get pregnant while teaching if not married. Not real sure about married women teaching while pregnant. I don't care what they do on thier own time in the privacy of where ever but don't come to school and stand up in front of a class setting a bad example. In this day and age there is no excuse. If not smart enough to not get pregnant, certainly not smart enough to teach school. I don't care how many degress they may have.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.