Homeless Students.

Comments

Pat Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

The school leaders and reporters should look up the meaning of homeless. If a child is living with a loving relative, aunt, uncle, grandparent or what ever they are not homeless. I lived with a grandmother and then a sister for awhile when I was in school. I was certainly not homeless. My dad was working on road construction and moving around the state. It was much better for me to stay in one school than moving every few months to a different school. My parents had a home in Payson but sometimes my mom went on the jobs with my dad so I stayed with grandma or sister. If there are as many 'homeless' kids here as reported why isn't CPS doing something?

Is the school trying to get some kind of state or federal aid for these kids to use for something else or what is the motive behind these stories?

Someone must have an answer or opinion.
Is it no one cares or believes everything they read?

roy sandoval 1 year, 10 months ago

Pat: I am unsure as to why the numbers are so high here. I know the criteria are fairly liberal for a "homeless" designation. I'm also unsure of how aggressive other districts are at applying the criteria and deriving the numbers. There is some funding, I am unsure as to how much. Not a large amount though.

Thank you Roy, Now for more answers. How do they find out if a child is "homeless"? I think maybe the schools spend to much time prying into things that are none of thier business. Unless a child is really hungry, dirty, or abused. They should mind thier own business which is teaching them to read by the time they are in the third grade for one.

I have a great grandson who lives with his mother and grandmother and I can assure you he should not be considered one of the homeless. He has his own bedroom. More love, food and attention than any kid should have. He got to school (JRE) one morning before his teacher had unlocked the door so he went into the cafeteria because it was cold. A little friend told him to get something to eat. He said he had already eaten but then the kitchen helper or whatever came over and was signing him up for free breakfasts and lunches. No one tried to contact his parents. When he told his mother that night, you might know what hit the fan. His mother had to take time off from work to straighten out the mess.

Tim Fruth 1 year, 10 months ago

Federal definition for homeless students straight from the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. You know you may be on to something Pat.

The term "homeless children and youths"--

(A) means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence (within the meaning of section 103(a)(1)); and

(B) includes--

(i) children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;

(ii) children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings (within the meaning of section 103(a)(2)(C));

(iii) children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and

(iv) migratory children (as such term is defined in section 1309 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965) who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (i) through (iii).

Thanks Tim, How many of the 600 "homeless" kids in Payson fit into any or all of that? Maybe someone is checking Rumsey Park during lunch hour and counting the kids hanging out there. (:

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.