New Football Coach

Comments

Pat Randall 1 year, 9 months ago

If the new principal is in Japan and Atheletic Director on a cruise, no school board meeting, who picked Swartwood as coach? No discussion, nothing? Looks like a set up deal. Anyone else have an opinion?

Dan Haapala 1 year, 9 months ago

Why does it matter? I hope it's not because of the name?

Why does it matter? Because the people that are supposed to be making the decisions and having meetings didn't seem to have anything to do with the selection unless it was set up before some of them left town. Or if it was done by telephone or email while they were out of town they broke the open meeting law. Simple. Hadn't thought about the name. Shame on you.

Tim Fruth 1 year, 9 months ago

Well Pat, seems like a conspiracy theory will be developing on why a new coach lasted for approximately one month and abruptly resigned. Clearly something is amiss if a guy takes the job and quits while the AD is out to sea and the new principal is in Japan. It surely doesn't bode well for the persons responsible for hiring him in the first place.

No matter what, the team needs a coach. When it comes to who is left on staff that has some interest in coaching and certified as a teacher, Jake is the logical choice. In his defense, I'm sure he would have preferred being an assistant for a longer period of time. I'm glad he has agreed to do the job since it will not be easy.

I would believe that the new AD managed to get in contact with and offer the job to Coach Swartwood. It is imperative that they have someone at the helm and now. What a tough position to be placed in. So go get 'em Jake.

Tim, Who does the hiring and firing ? We have a school board, a Superintendent, and a principal. Who does the interviews and has the last word on who is hired? Or does anyone know?

Dan Haapala 1 year, 9 months ago

What does it matter? There will be a coach. Someone to teach. Someone for kids to learn from and look up to. What does it matter? Don't anyone dare ask me about winning.

Dan, It matters. Who is running the PUSD? No wonder it is in such a mess !

Pat, I have no idea who recommended the coach of three weeks for hiring and the same one who suddenly resigns for "health reasons". Typically the person who is in charge of the school makes the recommendations for hiring.

In the current hiring of a football coach, the athletic director would probably make the recommendation with approval from the principal or maybe the previous principal. Prospective coaches are usually interviewed by the AD and some form of committee. In this case, since the previous coach up and quit, I would think that due to the urgency of hiring the AD would make that recommendation and it would be perfectly ok to do so. Then the board has the final say by either approving or disapproving the recommendation. Hope that kind of helps.

Jake was already on staff as a certified teacher at JRE. He is the logical choice.

I would have no idea who recommended the guy who develops "health issues" that prevented him from coaching after a three week stint. The current AD was not the AD at that time so somebody from administration recommended his hiring to the board. Your guess would probably be better then mine. There is reason to believe that there is more to the story then what the previous coach is saying. After all who would develop "heath issues" after immediately accepting the position? Not making light but "personal", "family", or "health" reasons seems to be the way around other reasons for quitting.

That is not to distract from Coach Swartwood and Payson should be glad he was willing to step in to what looks to be a difficult situation.

Tim Who will take over the classes at JRE when Mr. Swartwood has to leave early to get the football team to a school a few hours away? Does he receive full teachers pay and full coach pay or overtime? How about travel pay between JRE and the high school? I know I ask a lot of questions. Probably other people would like to ask some but because of jobs, owning a business or some other reason they are afraid to.

After reading the paper last night, seems Mr. Swartwood is going to be real busy the next few days getting ready for the football camp. What a mess to dump in his lap.

In Coach Swartwood's case, his leaving for extracurricular activities will be no different then previous coaches. I am thinking that he did coach last year and had to leave for games prior to end of day at the school. When staff leaves, they often cover that internally. Since he is a certified teacher, he gets his salary plus a coaching stipend. That is the way all coaches are paid. Of course in Payson they have to raise money for their salaries through "Credit for Kids" to pay their coaching salary. I am unaware of any coach receiving travel pay due to traveling from any school to the high school.

You are right, with this three week coach quitting, Coach Swartwood has a big mess to clean up and to pull off a camp of that magnitude has got to be stressful. As I have previously stated, I for one am glad he is willing to take on the responsibility. Otherwise it would be an even bigger mess with disastrous consequences.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.