What is wrong with the School board

Comments

Pat Randall 1 year, 2 months ago

Why does every thing that will cost the taxpayer money have to be decided by some group from out of town or a consultant is hired? We elect people to do a job and evidently none of them shoud be there as they always hire someone else to do the work and thinking.

The price put on Frontier school is ridiculous. It probably couldn't be replaced for twice that amount. Who figured the sales price on Frontier and Center for success? Go back and look at how much the Julia Randall additions cost. Where are they going to get land when they need another school, or are they planning on only selling the bldgs? The price on The Center for Success is really stupid.

School attendance wouldn't keep dropping if the kids were getting a good education. All the teachers of the same grade should be teaching alike, so if a student was moved from one room to another it wouldn't be like moving into a new world. Count the kids that are being home taught, going to private and charter schools. The school buildings would probably be running over if they were all using your buildings.

Driving buses for kids that live 2 or 3 blocks or across the street from a school to another school across town is a dumb idea too. The kids have to get up earlier and get home later. I could go on and on but will stop for now.

roy sandoval 1 year, 2 months ago

My concern is that the original bond to fund FES, the Dome at the high school and an addition to the middle school was 9.9 million dollars. I believe that FES was about half of that. After it was built, they had to upgrade the electric panel. They also upgraded the kitchen. Then they put in in the field and well for irrigation. Later, they put classrooms in the P.E. dome. Finally, the year before they closed it, they took money from the bond that funded the new JRE and the Middle school renovation and added to the parking lot. When you add all this together it's around 5.5 million. Now after 17 years (it opened in 1996) it is for sale for 1.25 million. I think that's about 23% of the cost. It's a bargain for sure. However, only in education with bond tax money can you afford to build something for 5.5 million, maintain it for 17 years and sell it for 23% of the cost. Not counted in this is another 2 million or so that was received via fed. and state funding for amending right of ways for schools etc. I would only add that price tag in JRE was about 20 million. It will hold about 500 or so. I believe FES had around a 400 student capacity. In the event a new elementary school is needed in 5 or 6 years, the price tag will most likely be around 25 million for a 400 student elementary school. This school district would go to bond for this money. As well, by that time, the chances are that many aging buildings at the high school will need fixing as well. Is this a good use of taxpayer money? Will it ingratiate the public to pass another bond, or a budget override they will be asking for in two years - or will it alienate an already strapped public?
Now, I realize there are some that might dismiss my apprehensions as leftover "bad blood" from the debacle three years ago. However, many will realize these numbers are real - from the last bond all the way to the projected cost of a new elementary in five to six years.

Pat Randall 1 year, 2 months ago

I have 5 grand kids that finished school in Payson. There are only two that have a good education and they went to a charter school in Mesa for the first years of school. They were so far ahead when they moved up here it was sad. Only a couple can write anything you can read, don't know thier multiplication tables, have a problem reading. Have no clue where countries of the world are located and not much history. But they know about things that take them out of school on field trips and sports. Hooray.

It is no wonder the parents are taking thier kids out of school. Not all people moved from Payson because there was no work, it was the school system.

I could go in to the way the buses are driven. If I had a child in school, no way would they get on a bus, even if I had to walk them to school through the snow.

Now the school board wants to sell a school for 23% of what it cost to build and the price of building has gone up. Smart move. Maybe the school board should go back to school so they can do simple arithmetic.

roy sandoval 1 year, 1 month ago

Pat: I respect what you have to say about your grandkids. I would add that my three kids were born and raised in Payson and attended the Payson schools. My experience is that three were very well prepared and academically competitive after graduation. Many teachers came alongside of them and helped them to be successful. I am thankful to each and every one.

Pat Randall 5 months ago

Roy, I am sure you had something to do with your kids being well prepared before and after graduation. Now on to something else. Have you read tonight's paper. Nov. 15? The system has to many kids and don't know what to do with them. Wouldn't it be nice if we had Frontier School? Who's idea was it to sell it? From reading the article seems the school board wants the principals of the schools to figure out what to do with the over flow of kids. Why do we need a school board? Sell a school. Fire teachers, hire assistants to help in the offices, shuffle principals and then holler help. Or was it someone else who did all these smart things?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.