Newspaper Coverage Lacking

Comments

John Lemon 1 year ago

Speaking as a person who continues being interested in public education and those who are educators, I lament the Roundup's lack of specific coverages and wonder: why?? What happened to the 1+ million dollar debt run up under the last Superintendent? What has happened since the current Superintendent gave his resignation? Why has there been virtually nothing printed about these decisions made by the Board of Education? Why have the reasons, backrounds and results of incredibly poor actions by the Board not been investigated and made public? Why have some personal connections between members of the Board and employees of the District not been noted? After all, the Superintendent is under direct supervision by the Board and the Board is supposedly responsible to the public.

roy sandoval 1 year ago

John, I don't know, but it sure seems like they could use a little good news, meaning authentic good news. I noticed special executive session for last Wednesday (20th) with the agenda as, "Executive session to discuss and consult with the District’s attorney for legal advice regarding administrator’s position/assignment in accordance with A.R.S. Section 38-431.03(A)(3)." This was actually the second special bd. meeting, executive session with the same agenda label in a week. The prior was on November 14th Usually these mean that an administrator is being terminated, disciplined or has some type of formal grievance. Additionally, two in a row like this, most likely indicates that they either don't know what to do, or cannot get on the same page, or the process is so complicated that they asked the attorney to research it and give them alternative plans.

roy sandoval 1 year ago

Special-Called Meeting Monday, December 2, 2013 5:30 PM District Office Board Room, 902 W. Main Street, Payson, AZ I. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
II. EXECUTIVE SESSION Executive session to discuss and consult with the District’s attorney for legal advice and to consider the District's position and instruct its attorney regarding the Superintendent's contract in accordance with A.R.S. Section 38-431.03(A)(3) & (4).

(Read Prior to Executive Session) All persons present are hereby reminded that it is unlawful to disclose or otherwise divulge to any person who is not now present, other than a current member of the Board, anything that has transpired or has been discussed during this executive session. To do so is a violation of A.R.S. §38-431.03 A.2, A.3. unless pursuant to a specific statutory exception.

Reconvene in Open Session

III. EXECUTIVE SESSION Executive session to discuss and consider the Superintendent's employment and resignation in accordance with A.R.S. Section 38-431.03(A)(1).

(Read Prior to Executive Session) All persons present are hereby reminded that it is unlawful to disclose or otherwise divulge to any person who is not now present, other than a current member of the Board, anything that has transpired or has been discussed during this executive session. To do so is a violation of A.R.S. §38-431.03 A.2, A.3. unless pursuant to a specific statutory exception.

Reconvene in Open Session

IV. ACTION ITEMS
A. Discussion and Possible Action on Superintendent's Resignation and Separation Agreement B. Discussion and Possible Action on Search for Interim Superintendent V. ADJOURN

John Lemon 1 year ago

Roy, Thanks for the post. Generally I become anxious and concerned about things that have not yet happened and may never happen, but the decision(s) that come forward at this meeting could have huge impacts on the District. I fervently hope that common sense and reason guide the process.

Pat Randall 1 year ago

Mr. Lemon, How long has it been since the board had any sense? Getting rid of good employees, buying solar panels, selling schools or should say giving away schools, not checking on insurance before putting up the "rope and pole" insanity. That is only what we have read in the paper. All teachers aren't perfect either. Putting small children out in open halls to discipline them, or tying them to their desks, Don't think that was in the paper. Is it any wonder the enrollment has gone down and more people are taking their kids out of PUSD?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.