Water Department Shenanigans

Comments

Dan Varnes 3 years, 2 months ago

Somebody help me out here, will ya?

For years, the Payson water department overcharged their customers and built up a nice chunk of money in their "reserve fund." Then, since all that money was just sitting there and not being used, some "wise officials" decided that it might be a good idea to use a large portion of that money to prop up some of the other, less profitable town departments.

I gather that their (false) hope was that our local economy would soon pick up and the water department would be paid back in the near future.

But recently, the Payson water customers were told to get ready for a water rate increase, because the Water Department's reserve fund had dwindled down and was in need of a large cash infusion.

Did I state the facts properly? Am I missing something, or is this just a local, miniature version of the scr**ing that our federal government is giving us?

Why is it that no one seems to care about this? Why are the geniuses that came up with this plan still in power and making important decisions for us?

Help me understand, please!

Pat Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Hasn't the water dept. already loaned the town $1million since Evans became Mayor? No problem he will fix it all.

frederick franz 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes, the Payson Water Company has scheduled a rate increase, I believe it will become effective in July. They say that the rate increases are attributable to the cost of the Blue Ridge pipeline. They say that the ASU satellite will pay for the Blue Ridge water. So why should the rates be moving upward so quickly now, when we don't need the extra water yet?

I say that the water rates should be rolled back considerably. I use 500 to 700 gallons of water each month. Yet I am being charged the rate for 2000 gallons per month. I feel this is unfair, and the water rate should be more tied to usage.

So, mayor, fix this!

Bernice Winandy 3 years, 2 months ago

Hey Fred you should make sure that the rate increase "will become effective in July." Another area's water department passed a rate increase "Effective January 1, 2011" and then applied it to December, 2010 bills because, I guess,(?) the bills were due in January 2011. You go figure. So to avoid misunderstanding you better make sure about the effective date.

Fred, The mayor has bigger fish to fry than worry about your water bill or mine. Water falls, ASU, getting Chinese businesses here and being on as many boards as will have him.

No one has said where the $20 million was coming from to put in power to the college. Maybe that is why my electric bill is so high lately or have you noticed that one? I wonder who will be left to pay for the water and electricity when the average person has to move out of Payson? ASU students?

frederick franz 3 years, 2 months ago

Bernice,

I'm not sure of the effective date of the increase. The clerk at the water company told me that the notice of increase will be on the next water billing. Check your bill.

Pat,

I haven't noticed an increase in electric rates. I feel that APS has been pretty good to the rate payers compared to other utilities. However, I read that there is another rate increase pending before the Utilities Commission.

Bernice, I don't know when the last raise went into effect but I used less electricity last month than the month before and the year before and my bill was quite a bit more. $173.66 to $217.39 this last month. There were many days and nights I wasn't here as I was in Mesa or Payson in the hospital with the heater either off or set to 65. I keep my thermostat at 70. My water heater and cooking range is gas.

Wait until they start charging us for the air we breath. (:

Dan Haapala 3 years, 2 months ago

Water and Oil are finite products. Only one is naturally recycled. Why should water cost less than oil? If your water bill was as much as your weekly gas bill, would you save water like you save gas? Would you tell the government to clamp down on the excessive profits of the water providers like they do the oil companies. (by the way, did you know that the federal government makes more profit on oil through taxes than the oil companies make on the oil?).

Let's all understand something very significant. The amount of water in the world has not changed since the world began. It recycles in the air, in the earth and comes back for us to use again. In other words, the water the Davy Crockett drank and expelled is probably the same water I drink and expel everyday. Okay, not a pleasant thought but the truth is the earth filters water and now communities further filter water and not at an insignificant cost. Be happy we are not currently paying $2.00 a gallon for it. That may happen sooner than we want.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.