Exotic Animals

Comments

Pat Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Is there really such a demand for exotic animals in Payson that someone would open a store and think they would make money or is this a front for something else?
Not an accusation, just a question. What happens if one of these so called exotic pets gets loose and someone kills it protecting themselves or another animal? Is there something in the ordinance to cover that. Believe me any time I see a snake it is a dead one in a very short time. Exotic or not.

Dan Varnes 3 years, 2 months ago

Why would anyone fear non-poisonous snakes? They're more afraid of you than you are of them. We have many non-poisonous snakes in AZ.

I kill rattlesnakes, but never king snakes, since they kill rattlesnakes. That's a very good snake to have around your home!

A snake is a snake is a snake. Rattlesnakes shed thier rattles, so how close are you going to get to see what kind of snake it is? Some rattlesnakes are endangered and it is illegal to kill them. Do you know the difference?

In the article in the paper Long was quoted as saying, You don't have to get a special permit to get a license for a dog. True to a point. Depends on the breed of dog you have. You have to have proof of vacacination for rabies. There is a different fee if the dog has been neutered or not.

PAT-RANDALL : "A snake is a snake is a snake."

Wrong.

There are snakes that co-exist with humans quite well and there are those that don't.

God put snakes on Earth for a purpose. Randomly killing any snake that happens to get in your way is just plain ignorant. Don't be ignorant.

Sorry Dan, I don't think I am the ignorant one on here. Better a dead harmless snake than a dead person.

This conversation with you is over !

I'll bet you shoot every dog you see in your yard because "it might be a vicious pit bull."

curmudgeon: "A crusty, irascible, cantankerous old person, full of stubborn ideas."

You're taking "curmudgeon" to a ridiculous extreme. Why don't you stop it?

Barbara Rasmussen 3 years, 2 months ago

Comparing dogs to rattlesnakes is apples to oranges. When I lived on a ranch in the southern part of the state the rattlesnakes were everywhere. In the mornings we had to watch and make sure they weren't on the steps before leaving the house. When we would ride horses you always had to be on the lookout for them. Nothing like being on a horse that is spooked by one! In the barns they would be in the hay. In the alfalfa fields they would get baled up with the hay. There were several little children running around in the yards on the ranch so henceforth a rattlesnake that was visible and/or heard was a dead one. And if you have ever seen someone that has been bitten by one I think you would change your feelings about rattlesnakes. My brother got bit by one snake 3 times before he could pull his hand back. It was the worst thing I have ever seen. He almost died. So I have to agree with Pat.

Barbara, When I was about five years old my parents owned a ranch where Mesa Del is now. There was a big tree by the barn with long roots on top of the ground. When my parents would come in from riding I would get next to the tree so not to spook the horses. One day I stepped back into it and the next thing I knew I was laying on the ground as one of the dogs had run in behind me and grabbed a rattlesnake that was coiled and ready to strike me. He killed the snake but died three days later as the snake bit him on the face. He did save my life. His name was Shep and I could never listen to the song about Old Shep. You can see why I love dogs and hate snakes. I had never been bitten by a dog until the little Schnauzer I got last March. He trained me real fast what I could and couldn't do to him. He had a damaged disc in his back when I got him so was very touchy and protective of his body. He loved everyone and wanted to be loved and petted but you had to know where to pet him. I bought a muzzle so I could trim him and get stickers out of him. He was so cute, I would call him and he would stick his nose up in the air so I could put the muzzle on. He knew I was going to do something to him but it was like he knew he couldn't help him self so put the damn thing on and get it over with.

Barb: Go back and read what I do with rattlesnakes. You obviously missed it on the first read.

Arizona has numerous non-poisonous snakes here. King snakes, both California and regular are known predators to rattlesnakes. Did you know that? I don't know about you, but I want as many king snakes around as possible. I've had bull snakes, garter snakes and racer snakes in my yard. None of those species are poisonous and none of them pose any threat to humans. Leave them the hell alone!

Anyone that says they will "kill any snake they see" is not only ignorant and foolish, but wasteful of our natural wildlife, too.

Dan Haapala 3 years, 2 months ago

Does free enterprise exist in Payson or not? It's all about freedom of choice or did someone not get the memo? Snakes, Lizards, Cats, Dogs, what difference does it make to anyone but the buyer and seller? If I want to sell Military styled clothing and an anti military person doesn't want me too, who has the right and the freedom. Don't tell me it's about community safety. I see young children riding motorized scateboards. It's all about personal interruption of constitutional rights. We have too many rules that have been devised by the righteous community to determine how we should live and it's wrong. Our forefathers gave us the Declaration of Independence and the American Constitution that was intended to guarantee us 'God given rights' to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. How does this rejection of a business license stack up with that?

Barbara Rasmussen 3 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Varnes: Yes I do know all about the non-poisonous varieties of snakes here in Arizona. I have actually caught many garter and water snakes and shown them to my children and grandchildren and I do not and never would kill a King Snake or a Bull Snake. But when it comes to Rattlesnakes whole different scenario. I am thankful that I don't live in MS anymore. Their snakes don't have rattles to warn people. And also they are very aggressive types of snakes. Kind of like our black Timber Rattlers we have up here. Nasty disposition. I do not consider myself ignorant when it comes to Arizona's poisonous creatures and I will not kill a snake unless it has that wonderful little alarm system connected to the end of its body and then if I can avoid it I will. But we should be mindful of the problem Florida is having with reptiles that were once pets and being released into the wild. They are wreaking havoc in the Everglades and even devouring peoples pets in their yards!

Mr. Haapala, Would you really be comfortable living next door to someone who had rattlesnakes, boa constrictors or an alligator?

Barb: Thank you. You got exactly what I was trying to convey.

Dan Haapala 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes Pat I would. That neighbor would know my feelings because I would express them either for or against, but that would still give them the legal right to own any legally allowed animal as a pet.

Haapala, Why would you have expressed your feelings to the neighbor? Maybe because you wouldn't really be comfortable. What would you do if one of them got loose and onto your property while the neighbor was away?

Shannon Long 3 years, 2 months ago

You all shouldn't let your fears run your life or affect other peoples lives and freedoms. I'm not asking anyone to like reptile or any other exotic pet. Just don't push your unwarranted fears on others. I've collected numbers from sources such as the CDC and National Safety Council. The fact is, you have a 1 in 2,700,000 chance in your lifetime to die from any Captive Reptile. Compare that to the 1 in 84 chance of dying in a car accident, 1 in 79,746 chance of being struck by lightning, or even the 1 in 144,156 chance to be killed by hot tap-water. Are you scared of the kitchen sink? Should be have an ordinance to restrict hot showers? Maybe the 1 in 500,000 chance to die from an Asteroid Impact? No, it's the 1 in 2,700,000 chance from a captive reptile that concerns people... Also, the chance of being killed by a captive reptile would only affect you if you own them or work with them. That's because I've been unable to find any cases of a reptile escaping not only it's cage, but the house and killing a neighbor. Compare that to "Man's best friend" the dog, which kills 14 people a year. Most of those killed by dogs are children. There are 4,700,000 dog bites a year, with 800,000 of them serious enough to require hospitalization. 219 people die a year from Horses. I don't think we should need permission from the Police Chief to own dogs or horses. So we shouldn't need it for reptiles either. Lastly, the state regulates things like rattlesnakes and other poisonous snakes. The state also regulates anything that would cause an issue with our eco system, like a crocodile.

With all the love shown on here for exotic animals, especially snakes the new business should be a hit. The owner will spend all his time restocking.

There was a report of a boa being loose here in Payson in the last year.

Shannon Long 3 years, 2 months ago

Business has been ok. (I am the owner.) We never planned on making it big selling locally. I knew the store would pay for itself, which it has. We plan on making the real money selling the high-end snakes over the Internet. Having a store gives us the credibility needed for that and a place to keep our breeders. We sell much more than just reptiles locally. We carry freshwater & saltwater fish, ferrets, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, rats, frogs, etc. We do plan on expanding to carry bird, dog & cat supplies also. Again, we don’t plan on making a big profit on local sales. We just want the store to at least break even so we can to our Internet sales to make profits. Plus, we get to provide a needed service to the Payson area.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.