Speaking English

Comments

Pat Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

If the president of Egypt can make a speech in English, why don't people from Mexico speak English in the USA?

Dan Varnes 3 years, 2 months ago

I'd say that it's because the average citizen of Mexico is lucky if they have the equivalent of a fifth-grade, American education. The vast majority is illiterate in both English and Spanish.

The small, Mexican upper-class is well educated and is usually able to speak English fluently.

Dan Haapala 3 years, 2 months ago

In 1956 in Clatskenie, Oregon I experienced my first foreign language community. These people were predominantly Finnish. When they were together they spoke Finn. When they were out and about in the community they spoke American English. My Grandparents and Great Grandparents were embarassed if they were not able to communicate in 'English'. When they came to this country they wanted to be a part of a great experiment in human achievement. They wanted to get rich. In order to do so, you had to learn to master the language, invest in the system, work harder than anyone else, and hire people to help.

In my family, assimilating into society, was the only way to get ahead and become a productive member. Immigrants of the last century, and only 50 to 70 years ago, Saw that America was a land where the rewards far outnumbered the efforts of responsibility. But that was a time when America didn't give money for being, it gave opportunity for doing. The sooner we get back to giving instead of taking, to doing instead of allowing to be done, to getting people off the I don't have too, to the I really need to, the sooner we will get it all back on track. That is going to involve, taking away the I am due. It is fair, It's my right. And all the other whine.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.