What County Bureaucrats authorized this guy to guide the new redistricting citizens board?

Comments

don evans 3 years, 1 month ago

His name is Bruce Adelson, CEO and Attorney for Federal Compliance Consulting LLC, Potomac, Maryland. If my memory serves me, this is the same individual hired by the Globe Mafia the last redistricting go round. (If I'm wrong, I apologize) His plan served the South County Cartel well and kept their status quo control intact. In my opinion, stand by for the snake oil sales pitch and his facilitation of the now 12 member citizens redistricting board (isn't it funny how the member numbers keep changing with media scrutiny of the appointments by the Supervisors) He is a former US Justice Department Attorney who specialized in the voting rights act laws enforcement and election redistricting law suits. What Gila County officials hired him and what is it costing the taxpayers. Why do we need his consultation? Who's special interest does he represent and what are they afraid of? This is supposed to be the citizens of Gila County process, not a legaleeze bamboozle em session. You can read his work bio and proposed FEE schedule ($200K plus) here> http://www.wedrawthelines.ca.gov/downloads/march_documents/fcc_vra_20110311.pdf

don evans 3 years, 1 month ago

Went to the 1st Redistricting Committee meeting tonight. About 20 spectators crammed into the County Maint small meeting room plus all but one appointed new committee member. County Atty Deputy went over the open meeting law do's and dont's for them. Handed out guideline notebooks. Then the legal "consultant" stated his past DOJ credentials and experience in county redistricting. He is very knowledgeable I'm sure. He should be for $200,000+. I asked him one question, was he licensed to practice law in Arizona. His answer "NO" but his forte and business is consulting based on his DOJ expertise. He is based in Maryland but will be available by phone, email etc. during the process. Another consultant is basicly a bean counter for population statistics. I left during his presentation. Bottom line, Race minority population districts can not be split up as a voteing block and are a top priority (and that includes NON Citizen residents if you can believe it) One guy in audience asked why not increase Supervisors to Five based on the new census. I thought Spv Shirley Dawson would jump through the closed circut tv screen. She said absolutely not, it's against the law, the population would have to be 200,000 or more. I detected some sensitivity by her over the question. :0) Film at eleven gang.

Pam Mason 3 years, 1 month ago

This is from Gila BOS meeting dated 11/16/2010

For the last redistricting the county contracted with a consultant named Tony Sissons. Mr. Sissons will be returning as a statistician, but Elections Director Linda Eastlick, requested approval from the board to contract with Bruce Adelson, formerly a senior attorney in the U.S. Justice Department, to provide consulting services for redistricting, and a "Bailout" request for the county.

"Bailout" refers to a request to the U.S. Department of Justice for Gila County to opt out of the Administrative burden placed on the State of Arizona. A few decades ago, an Arizona elected official caused the political boundaries of that district to be drawn in a manner unfair to the population and demographics of the region. As a result, all districting changes must be first approved by the U.S. Department of Justice. Gila County has had no record of such violations, and will request to be excluded from this requirement.

Bruce Adelson as Don said is with Federal Compliance Consulting LLC. They are currently working with the following Arizona jurisdictions concerning their redistricting. Gila County, Navajo, Pinal, Greenlee, Graham, Mohave, Western Arizona Vocational Education Joint Technical Education District, Mohave Community College and Yavapai County. In addition it says they are awaiting final approval from several other jurisdictions to assist with their redistricting.

I am sure the "Bailout" issue will be called a matter of saving money. It is of concern that any changes made, will not have to be approved by the U.S. Department of Justice first, if Gila County is granted an opt out.

don evans 3 years ago

All the above is true as far as I know. What bothers me is that this highly paid consultant seemed to be a little to proud of assisting in the disaproval of the past 2002 Arizona legislative districts battle. You know the old saying, I'm from the Government and were are here to help you. If you go to his company web site, you can read his pitch to the State of California to do their redistricting boundry's. Sorry, I'm just suspicious he may be an east coast left leaning Attorney that was sought out using taxpayer money to push particular special interest agendas in this process. Also the fact that he is not licensed to practice his area of law in Arizona. Surely there are some equally qualified past or current lawyers that have equal credentials in our state. The responsibility is up to our elected supervisors. If they aren't up to the task or willing to take the heat in redistricting requirements, maybe they should step down and not hide behind a paid front man. It's just begining.

Dan Haapala 2 years, 10 months ago

Thank you people for being involved. This single item is the most important political action that will take place in Gila County for the next ten years. You will hear a lot about minority rights and how they cannot be messed with but it's not all there is to say. Minority rights cannot infringe upon Majority rights either. This County is small land wise and the equal rights provision of the law must apply to all. It is the opinion of many that minorities cannot group together to become a majority in any district. Equal distribution of participants must be the rule. The Dept. Of Justice has just as many cases in front of it regarding this as any other. Don't be mislead. Above all, don't buy into the argument that we don't want to be sued by the Fed. That may be the best thing that could happen to us. We all have rights, both taxpayers and non taxpayers, (though I'm not convinced that's right) but we have to stand up and say no group has more voice than any other when it comes to the government that is there to protect us all.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.