Council raises property tax rate.

Comments

Pat Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

Evans says it is because the assessed value of property went down. How many of you looked close at your notice of asessement and it went down? Yes we can't sell our property for what we did a few years ago but all the property has not been reassessed by the county. Some will be paying taxes on how they were assessed probably at the highest assessement. Lets elect him again. Things just keep getting better and better on paper and a lot of lip service.

frederick franz 3 years, 6 months ago

The lip service is wearing very thin Pat. The worst case is probably the national deficit and the lip service we get from Obama. Let's get rid of him in 2012!!!

Robert Jones 3 years, 6 months ago

And replace him with????????

Do you have awareness of when (and under which administration) the national debt really exploded? Do a google search. It might just surprise you!

PB

Dan Haapala 3 years, 6 months ago

Okay, I'm trying to put this in perspective. The Presidential campaign was waining it's way through the summer heading for a fall push when all of a suddent the candidates were called back to Washington D.C. to deal with a problem that was too much for the public to handle. Congress was in recess and campaigning, the President was facing the end of his limited term, his appointees said 'we are headed for dissaster if we don't give away a lot of taxpayers dollars to bolster our bad decisions. Show me that the Bail Out happened when 'W' had a chance to change it. After 8 years, recovering from an attack by islamic extremists on American soil, with three months left in office and a Democratic House and Senate who wanted the World to hate him, what was he to do? How could he have changed it? Keep in mind that it was in 2006 when the Democrats took control and how much heat are they getting for it?

Dan,

Your post isn't referring to the national debt is it? Our debt exploded long before either "W" or Obama.

PB

Dan Varnes 3 years, 6 months ago

Bush doubled the size and spending of the Fed Gov . It took him eight years in office to accomplish this task.

Obama? He tripled the size and spending of the federal government and he did it in his first two years in office.

Bush, bad. Obama, worse. It's really that simple.

QUOTE: "Lets elect him again. Things just keep getting better and better on paper and a lot of lip service."

Uh, let's NOT.

And let's not forget his "promise" to only serve ONE term.

P.S. I have a new respect for the admin of Gila County. They obviously know a source of hot air when they hear one --- and they know when to avoid making alliances with one, too.

Good eye, Gila County!

Rex Hinshaw 3 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Varnes, I couldn't disagree with you more. But you are another Kenny hater,don't want a 4 year college here, and you have a right to your opinion. The powers in Globe have used Payson as their cash cow for years. I hope that down the road when we are a college town and Payson's economy is doing well Globe does not get a DIME !

Don't hold your breath. How would Globe get any money ? I am lost again.

The seat of power must move north in Gila County. And the North must be more fair than what we have experienced from the South. I'll wager the required redistricting resolution doesn't change that, but we should.

I say this only half in jest. As the fastest growing part of Gila Co. is Tonto Basin. How about moving the "seat of power" to say Punkin Center. According to the Census data (and my own eyes) this is the only actually "growing" part of our county, population wise. Of course maybe my eyes are as bad as my ears :-). Pat Randall is sure right about this- - growing older is not for sissies. I paraphrased her comment probably so, hence, NO quotes!

On 2nd thought, I think Punkin Center might have as many bars as churches- - -another reason to put the seat of government there. If the bureaucrats are always loopy they can't pass bad regulations and dopey laws or generally muck things up as they usually do.

PB

Haapala, If the county seat was moved or the north broke off into a new county do you know how much it would cost for all the new facilities? There was a discussion about splitting the county 6 yrs or so ago. First you have to have permission from the south to break away and make a new county. Think they are going to agree to that? A new larger jail, seperate men and women, juvenile holding, larger court rooms just for a start. Treasurors office. Enlarge the recorder and assessors offices. Where is all this going to be built? Take more land off the tax rolls? Look in Arizona Revised Statutes how to make a new county and you may change your mind.

rtnaz (Rex Hinshaw) says…"Mr. Varnes, I couldn't disagree with you more. But you are another Kenny hater,don't want a 4 year college here..."

Maybe you, Mr. Hinshaw, could be the first and only person, so far, who can answer my question:

Where is the NEED for a big college/university campus in Payson?

Please don't waste time talking about "wants" --- We've got ZERO money for "wants" --- our county, state and federal bureaucrats have spent everything we've given them, and then some. Talk about NEEDS only, please.

Another question: Unless someone forced you to move to Payson, why do you have such a strong urge to change this town forever, which is just what injecting 5-6 thousand more people would do to it. If anyone is really that adamant about living in a college town, they should probably start packing their bags, A.S.A.P.

I still say that an Taj Mahjal / ASU campus will not be built in Payson, at least not in our lifetimes.

Mr. Varnes, I can only give you my opinion. The need for a 4 yr. college in Payson, at the present time,is economic. Cattle, mining, logging are things of the past.The const. industry is all but dead and tourism is depressed because of gas prices and the condition of our forests. Businesses of all kinds in Payson are struggling to keep their heads above water. In my opinion the college project would stimulate Payson's economy and sustain it for years to come. As to your second question....I was not forced to move to Payson 16 years ago....it was a business decision. For your information, I was born and have lived 60 yrs.within 100 miles of Payson, mostly in small towns. I don't have an urge to change this town...but to see it evolve. Just as it has evolved from cattle, mining, logging, and tourism. I am strongly opposed to the " now that I'm here I don't want it to change" attitude.

don evans 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm tired of being told that you can't split the county, you can't move the county seat, it would be a fiscal disaster, blah blah blah. Baloney. Where there is a will there is a way. The County Govt. Cabal in Globe 1. Has to change it's attitude and accept the fact that Northern Gila County is the future of economic viability and sustained growth for everyone. 2: Make mutually beneficial decisions in an atmosphere of political partnership 3: if not, keep their when I used to work for the mines mentality, wither the country away and we will all fiscally die. After 19 years of living here, and having worked for Gila County Govt. for 10.5 of those years, I have at least a small insiders insight as to how it operates. Currently, it operates on a buddy or my relative system in most departments. The overwhelming majority are the variety of county jobs located in Globe. Until the method of Gila County Govt. changes, protection of all these employment positions in the South will not change. They are not going to give up their political, financial, and the majority county govt. employment jobs control willingly. I have seen some cracks in the Globe County control power structure in the last couple years. But these have mostly come about by Northern Gila County finally confronting them. Make no mistake, the new redistricting taking place will be the current major battle. Stand by for threats of federal intervention, accusations of racisim, and what ever other baloney they will threaten. The times and people of Gila County have changed, they need to accept it and be part of the solution, or get out of the way.

Don Evans and Dan Haapala, Please go to Arizona Revised Statutes to see what it takes to make a new county. I know you both like to read. It is Title 11 Article 3 formation of counties. Read it all do not skip anything. Then figure the time and costs of all we would have to do. First of all getting land to put everything on as I posted earlier. June 12th 10:05am

rtnaz (Rex Hinshaw) says…"The need for a 4 yr. college in Payson, at the present time,is economic. Cattle, mining, logging are things of the past."

Wrong, wrong, WRONG!

America still needs domestic beef production and America still needs wood products from our own forests.

If America is going to survive, we absolutely need to produce these items locally and not continue to buy our beef from Brazil and our lumber from Canada. Outsourcing these things got us into much of the trouble that we're presently in.

Surely you realize this...

Since we happen to be living right in the middle of a giant forest, we absolutely DO need new lumber mills and new herds of cattle grazing on our public lands, for a variety of reasons.

And since just about everything you have in life came from beneath the ground, the need for new mining operation to start up is obvious. Outsourcing the production of these products is a fool's folly. Only greedy offshore bankers have benefited from that failed strategy, certainly not the American people.

The need is greater than ever for these "low tech" industries to return to Payson and America, too. We need them, ASAP!

And will someone please tell Kenny Evans that the future of education is in "on-line" classrooms, not new, giant buildings that might have been required back in the pre-internet days. Evans' pipe-dream of an ASU campus in Payson is about twenty years too late and it's not an efficient way to educate people in our present age.

Would someone please point this out to him?

Mr. Varnes, I also wish that the cattle , mining, and logging industries would regain their prominance in America and Arizona. What I meant was that they are no longer the driving economic engines in Payson. My family has owned a ranch in Az. since 1956. My father was the head of the Az. livestock board in the 70's. My grandfather mined. You do not need to tell me about the importance of these industries . I'm now going to the other thread where you insulted me and suggested I leave town.....you might want to read it !

Pat,

I appreciate the reference to the ARS and what it takes to become the county seat or to split off. When I ran for District one Supervisor in 2004, I traveled to Globe where it was the Prime question they wanted to know. This topic has come up again and again and here is the simple truth. Gila County has the most duplicated services of most of the Counties in Arizona. Right here in Payson we have everything required by law to become the County seat. The question becomes, do we want to do it? If our goal is to punish the Globe beauracracy for denying us a voice in the game, then I say no. If our goal is to press for greater power in the north to get things our way...than I say no. But if we believe that we can make this whole County better by stopping the power plays and giving the government back to the taxpayers, ( I use that phrase on purpose) than I say yes, it's time for change.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.