Next Mayor

Comments

Pat Randall 3 years, 4 months ago

Not a fact or opinion. I heard it thru the grape vine. Cameron Davis is thinking of running for mayor. Anyone know anything about this?

Tim Ehrhardt 3 years, 4 months ago

Very timely post Pat. I haven't heard anything about possible mayoral candidates but it does seem to be a ripe time for discussions. Definitely curious as to what folks are hearing about possible candidates.

Pat Johnson 3 years, 4 months ago

Pat, I think someone was drinkin' those grapes on the vine! I spoke with Cameron, and he has no desire to become Mayor. I haven't heard of any possible candidates. I think someone was pulling your leg. Pat

Pat, There was no reason for the person to pull my leg.
Certainly hope 2 or 3 more step forward.

Pat

Is every one afraid to make a comment about the next election or do you all feel afraid to say anything? No one you would like to see elected or removed?

Tim Fruth 3 years, 4 months ago

Isn’t Cameron a town employee? You can’t be a town employee and run for town office. I think Pat is right. Not about pulling your leg but that fermented grape juice.

Tim, You resign from your job and then you can run for office. If he didn't win, I am sure he would be hired back again for what ever it is he does.

Rex Hinshaw 3 years, 4 months ago

At this point in time.....what is the reason for this discussion. Let's see what REALLY happens.

Rex, Why isn't this the right point in time? In other words just sit back and let it happen. Don't give it any thought until it is over? Do you really think there are not people lurking out there getting their ducks in a row? Better take another chill pill if you are going to read my posts. (:

Pat, My point is that at this point in time....it's just rumors...and why waste time talking about someone who may not be running. Chill pill taken....okie-dokie.

Rex, I am sure you are old enough to know anyone who is thinking about running for office starts a long time before the paper work is done. They have their finance manager, and all their helpers lined up and ready to go.

What does my age [62] have to do with the value of this conversation at this time ? I think this string should be titled....guess who might be running, and let's talk about them....no thanks.

Rex, I thought you may have gotten some common sense and a little knowledge of how politicians do things by your age.
So sorry to offended those of you that don't want to talk about who our next 'leaders' may be. Maybe it will be the same old crap just different election.

Dan Haapala 3 years, 3 months ago

There has been a lot of postings here regarding the current and the past Mayors of Payson. I have known them all, I believe each has been true to his or her convictions and has been a positive influence on the community.

Who will be the next? Mayor Evans made it clear he only wanted to serve one term and leave, but a vast majority of citizens wanted him to remain in office and he was re-elected. I don't know if Kenny wants to continue or not, I'll support him if he does, but the question is, Who will step up and help run this town? Who will have the courage to make the tought decisions about what is and what isn't to be? I see three challenges for the next Mayor and Council. 1: There is a lack of confidence in the Police department. 2: Planning and Zoning needs to be less restrictive. 3. Is Payson fun or is Payson or not?

Pat Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Haapala, Wasn't there a mayor who got an ordinance or something passed that required you had to have a permit to cut trees on your lot? Then he clear cut his lot to build a house without getting permits. Evans said he would only be mayor for one term. If I told something like that no amount of friends could make a liar out of me. I don't see anything he has started that has been finished. He did not start Blue Ridge and it isn't finished yet.
Maybe all the mayors stuck to thier convictions. but wasn't what the majority of the voters wanted or needed when they were voted in. Depends on what you mean by fun.

Dan Haapala 3 years, 2 months ago

Pat, I was there when Kenny made the promise and told him I wished he hadn't. I was there when the term was about to end and encouraged him to break his promise. He didn't want to. For goodness sake who would. Not all, but many of us saw that this man had vision and drive and was deeply committed to helping Payson be all that it could be. I don't believe any of his supporters feel he let them down. Many of his detractors will find fault but that can be said of any elected official. Pat, you mention the things that have not happened, the things we all had hoped would have happened, but can I ask you, what has he done to harm? what has he done to make things worse in your opinion? Payson has gone from 'Boom' to 'Bump' to 'Bummer' to 'Bust' to 'Be prepared, here we go again. No national pole can explain why Payson is seeing an increase in consumer spending. Numbers are up where I work. Wal Mart and Bashas and Safeway are seeing bumps. Traffic has gone into the tanks, It may not be bumper to bumper but it's still filling the parking lots at 87 & 260 starting on Thursday and going through the weekend. .Our Mayor and council want Payson to be successful, if you doubt that you should be living in Prescott. If they were to ask me, and I can think of no reason why they would, I would tell them the same thing I would tell the President, Back Off. The government employees of the Town do not have to justify their salaries with fines and fees, they have to help make things happen. If they do, We will prosper.

Dan, You proved with your post politicians can't be trusted. Promises are not somthing you break. Where did you get your information on sales being up? From the town's reporting of sales tax or employees? Sure the mayor and council want the town to be succesful, it makes them look good. Payson has been my home town for over 70 yrs. why would I want to move to Prescott? I can endure the crap but don't have to keep my mouth shut. Even when we were not living him permanatly we owned prorperty here most of the time and had family and old friends here. Since we are paying the town employees they should have to justify thier salaries by getting something done.

Should have been, even when we were not living here instead of him. Maybe you all missed that.(:

Dan Haapala 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm not picking on you Pat. "Promises are not something you break" I couldn't agree more, Promises that can't be kept should never be made, but then I've heard it said, 'never say never'. As for the sales being up, I base that on my personal observation and asking questions. Is everyone doing better? I don't believe they are. Have some residents left to find work elsewhere? I do believe they have. Are some businesses doing better than last year? Yes they are.

Town employees and the departments they work for have to justify their salaries every year when the time comes for Council to decide on the Town Budget. The public is encouraged to come and be involved in those discussions in order to influence the Town Council. Being involved directly is the most effective way to make change, don't you think?

Dan H. Pick away (: When I first moved back here I went to council meetings and there would be less than 10 people there, after I started speaking out about things more people showed up and sometimes it was standing room only. Not because of me but they realized they could stand up and talk. Of course now that they are limited to a very short time and no one can say much. The council members even get stopped while speaking. The meetings on the internet keep some people home. I have not been able to go the last few years, but hoping to get back to them. I have been involved by going to dept heads. I don't just sit here at the computer and b-----.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.