Payson Airport Politics # 2

Comments

Pat Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

What is wrong with the politicians in Payson? We don't have the waterfall flowing yet and now the town is going to spend $10 million on the airport. Does this include all the employees for upkeep it will require, since the mayor says the PRAA does not have the manpower to develope it. All construction would be done by licensed contractors I would hope. The town does not have enough land to develope the airport for a much longer runway for larger airplanes. Why would anyone say the facility was Payson's front door? The airport needs to be taken care of by people that know about airplanes not a council that changes members every 2 years. First it was ASU that was going to be for the future development of Payson. Now "The airport has to be a cornerstone for future development of the whole region, said Evans, insisting that the independent airport authority lacks the manpower and the resources to develop the airport." So far I haven't seen any improvment in the town in the last three years except for all the work that has been done at the event center? All talk and grand ideas. Maybe a big farm will be the next plan.

Dan Haapala 3 years, 1 month ago

Pat, 40 years ago the scarriest drive I ever made was from Phoenix to Payson and on to the Rim. After moving here, I heard many complain of the 'Dangerous conditions in Sunflower' and that something should be done. I heard arguments against creating a traffic jam by allowing a Sunflower bypass. I heard many encouraging a safer four lane route to Payson and beyond. Progress happens. It took ten years, but the Beeline successfully bypassed Sunflower safely. More people came to Payson and Payson prospered. Many of those who moved here shortly after are vocal about no more change but change will come. And there will be still more changes that creat controvery. Discuss the changes, Yes. Fight them for the sake of anti progress, No. We shouldn't fight our elected officials, whom we put in office to make our lives less complicated, because they have plans to increase the tax base so that we don't have to pay as much in taxes. Heaven forbid we put a Mayor and Council in office whose goal would be to turn back the clock to 1950 and have everyones wages go back to around $5000 a year.

Pat Randall 3 years, 1 month ago

Happala, Yes, but you could buy a new car for $600. and fill the gas tank for under $4.00. Very little crime. One deputy handled it all. No traffic. No one telling us what color to paint our house. Plenty of water for grass in the yard. Neighbors helping neighbors, didn't need organized charities with administrators being paid.

Robert Jones 3 years, 1 month ago

Happala,

I noticed you didn't use the word "growth" in your post. However in another post you mentioned the cancer cell. I remind you "growth for growth's sake" (i.e. to expand the tax base) IS the exact ideology of the cancer cell!

Pat,

Your statement quoted here: "Plenty of water for grass in the yard." was never true. All those lawns being watered were using ground water supplies that were NOT being replenished by nature (rainfall). Hence all the springs the rim country USED to have that are now dry as a bone. Not to mention, of course, all the additional trees sucking up water that the Forest Service allowed to multiply into the too-crowded (with trees) situation we now have.

1952 was not a better world. Simpler, yes, but better. I think not. It was just a time of innocence and less information about what was going wrong all around us. A time of buy now- - -pay later. Credit was so wonderful, most thought. Dan H. is right about us needing a spanking. BUT it's not the children who need spanked it's the parents and grandparents (most of them!). Those folks who just stood by and watched it all happen while pursuing unnecessary plastic objects, and newer cars, and fancier homes, etc. Most of them didn't even pay attention to what the "government" was evolving into. Just stuck their hands out and accepted, without concern for who was going to "pay the bills" when they became due. Willingly passed on the "settling up" part to the next generation, or the next. Greedy and yes, SELFISH. The legacy of the generations that Mr. Brokaw so incorrectly (in my view) called the "greatest" generation. Not in my book!!

PB

Rex Hinshaw 3 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Jones, I resent your characterization of my parents generation. My Dad was in world war 2 , in both the Army and Navy. My mom and dad both worked hard to raise myself and my brother and sister. They did NOT have their hands out.....to the government. They where NOT greedy or selfish. They remembered the great depression ! We were taught respect for our elders and manners....and how to save for our future. Your comments are so offensive. You can blame my generation....the next several generations....but stay the HELL away from my parents generation! They were the "greatest" generation !

Pat Randall 3 years, 1 month ago

P.B. You are so wrong. The grass was watered from private wells, then the town came in started drilling deeper wells next to them and dried them up. It didn't work on all of them as there are still private wells being used. Ex chief of police has one just below GV lakes. He wanted grass so drilled his own well. Also the rain water did go back into the ground as there was not all the concrete and pavement to stop it or the sewer to catch the runoff and send it on down to Phx. People saved thier money untill they could pay cash, didn't use credit cards.

Robert Jones 3 years, 1 month ago

Rex and Marly,

Stop being so reactionary. I blamed (and still do) the majority of the generation. Not everybody, of course. I included all, my own relatives as well, if deserving of the criticism. I stand by my comments. Those of our society who are responsible are just that responsible. The "greatest" generation (as defined by Tom Brokaw) also is/was the "selfish" generation in my book. They are the first generation in history to believe they are smarter than the next generation. The first generation to drive around in $100,000.00 + motor homes (blocking the damn highways) towing along a hummer with bumper stickers "bragging" about spending their children's inheritance. Meanwhile many of them didn't even vote!!!

Maybe not your parents Rex and I'd like to believe not mine either. However, I do remember a lack of public interest and awareness as they pursued life's pleasures and struggled with life's difficulties.

Pat,

You ARE a grand lady, no doubt. BUT private wells suck groundwater. Too many of them suck more than can be replenished in arid areas. Read "Killing The Hidden Waters" by Charles Bowden. I believe it (still, it was written many years ago) is the finest, simplest explanation of the water situation here in the Southwest. After you get informed, then- - -we can debate intelligently on water issues surrounding the Rim Country and elsewhere in the Southwest. Until then, you obviously just don't "get it". Maybe you can figure out how to pin the problem on the illegals. That seems to be your easy explanation for most of our societal problems. By the way I only speak English as well and I have no problem visiting Main St. in Mesa!

Also I consider MYSELF a part of the "selfish" generation, as well as my older siblings and my parents. I just don't practice generational irresponsible selfishness, like some.

Marly,

I won't bother to debate you. You've shown me (through your posts) the depth of your intellectual reasoning abilities and I just don't choose to bother debating you.

PB

don evans 3 years, 1 month ago

All the details on this topic and the special interest motives were clearly explained and revealed on the first thread "Airport Politics" dated starting August 19th, I believe . Told ya so then and look what happened now. Dang I'm good. LOL!.........

don evans 3 years, 1 month ago

Make that first title thread "Payson Airport Politics"

Kim Chittick 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey Don, if you can quit patting yourself on the back erroneously for just a minute, you might go to the Payson Airport thread on Tom's "I'm Listening" blog.

Facts, sir, all facts!!

Dang, you're mixed up!! ROFLMBO!!!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.