D'backs

Comments

Susan Grubbs 6 years, 6 months ago

Woo Hoo! The D'backs have clinched the play-offs! The magic number is 2 to win the NL West, but they're in as the NL wild card, at the very least.

For this baseball fan - specifically a D'backs fan - the world's problems will take a back seat until the end of the D'backs' run to the World Series.

If you want to talk baseball, I'm all over it. Otherwise, talk to ya later.

6:30pm, Saturday

D'backs swept the Cubs. Again, woo hoo!

Dean, I didn't feel all that sorry for the adult fans, frankly. As for the little kids, little kids are better at getting over things than their adult parents. Kids move on to the next thing.

I'm preparing myself for the NLCS. The Rockies are good and they can win. So can the D'backs. Neither will surprise me. I'll be disappointed if the Rockies win the series, but I'll look back at a really fun season of baseball and turn my thoughts to my KU Jayhawks.

Paul Woods 6 years, 6 months ago

Dear Susan. Don't gloat too much about your snakes beating my Cubs. I'm not that much of a baseball fan, but still follow the Cubbies ups & downs and have done so for it seems like forever.

I would think that you might have a little sympathy for a team that has waited for a century to win, only to have it's hopes dashed as usual.

Besides, we have the better looking ballpark and our fans, unlike D-Back fans, support the Cubs no matter what, bad teams, bad coaching, and bad weather. I guess we're just masochists.

At any rate, much good luck to the D-Backs. I truly hope they go all the way.

Paul, I'm not gloating. If you watched the series, you know that the D'backs were the better team for these three games.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think I have to feel sympathy for the Cubs. Yes, next year will be the 100th year since the Cubs have won the World Series. So, they should pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and start over again. Something, obviously, isn't working.

As for the look of the ball park, that really is subjective. I don't really care what a ball park looks like. They all have an infield and and outfield. It's what happens on the field that matters, not the ivy on the walls at Wrigley or the play area for the kids at Chase. Or the bells and whistles. Or the color of the uniforms.

Of course the Cubs fans support their team, no matter what. They do have more than a century of history. Think about it. The D'backs are 10 years old. Maybe there will never be the undying support for them that the Cubs enjoy. Who knows, though. There are plenty of little kids in AZ who are growing up with the D'backs. Maybe in 100+ years, there will be similar die-hard D'backs fans.

In the end, it's a game. The sun rose in Chicago this morning. I'm pretty sure that the Cubs players will get over the loss. The fans can get over the loss, too, if they really want to.

I'm hopefull for the D'backs in the NLCS, but know that the Rockies are playing terrific baseball right now - and they won the head-to-head with the D'backs this season.

Pat Randall 6 years, 6 months ago

Paul, I don't know what your field looks like, but we have the best looking manager in all of baseball. (: I missed the game as I was at GVP for the 125th celebration.

Pat, you crack me up. ; -)

You missed a really good game.

Okay. It's obvious, Pat, that my post was posted AFTER yours. Darn. I forgot to put the time.

It is now 11:49am.

Tim Ehrhardt 6 years, 6 months ago

As a Cub fan, I see the Diamondbacks and Cubs really striking a strong rivalry in coming years. I think both'll be in the playoffs again next year, though the D'Backs probably have a bit tougher road with the Padres and Rockies in their division. Both teams have a ton of young talent and frankly I think the Cubs'll go to the World Series next year - I knew back in May that anything we got this year was going to be gravy, they really were a year away.

Is it just me though, or is it really tough to see the D'Backs or Rockies getting over on an AL team in the World Series? My sense is that the AL's a bit better this year at the top.

The Cubs have a ton of young talent? It was the veteran contingency I saw and on whicht the sportswriters based their predictions of winning the series against the D'backs. Well, that and the fact that the D'backs scored 20 less runs than their opponents this year. Heard that little fact repeatedly throughout the series.

I'm not going to think about the match-up in the World Series until after the NLCS. I haven't followed the AL at all. Really. I dislike the style of AL play that much. I like any team from the East, in either league, even less.

If the Rockies end up winning the NLCS, I'll gladly cheer for them over the AL.

Pat Randall 6 years, 6 months ago

The gremlins are loose again, look at the times on the posts. 3:40

Paul Woods 6 years ago

Opening day in Chicago & it's raining and chilly as usual. Wrigley field is sold out and the hope is the Cubbies will manage to get further along than last year. That's the usual feeling for the past 100 years. Question, should I go along with the local media hype and start cheering prematurely? Or just hang my head and look forward to next year. Oh What to do, what to do.

Jane Wilcox 6 years ago

Paul - have faith in your cubs and cheer early! :-) Rah! Rah!

Pat Randall 6 years ago

llandproud, I clicked on sports this morning and thought I had missed a complete season of baseball, then after reading several posts realized it was last year. I guess I should look at the dates first. (:

Pat Randall 5 years, 10 months ago

Paul, I have noticed over the years that Arizona fans are very fickle. If thier teams are winning they are out cheering like they did it them selves. When the teams are losing,no support and bad mouthing is all the teams get. Either you are a fan or a jerk.

It starts way back with Little League and Jr. High sports.

Paul Woods 5 years, 10 months ago

Well guys, reading all the previous posts on this thread, I still say that the Cubbies have the best fans.

All this year, even on the crappy days, they show up for a game, unlike Snake fans. The proof of which is that on the 18th my grandson's class sang the National Anthem for the Diamondback's/ Tigers game & the pics that my son sent showed me that the stadium in Phoenix seemed to be only about ½ full, if that, and on a Sunday besides.

What a crying shame for Diamondbacks fans. You guys have a great stadium, weather protected, air conditioned, great skyboxes, good parking and all the other amenities & a team that has enjoyed the best record in MLB.

Where as we get to enjoy the cold, rain, wind and even snow and awful parking that just about puts us in the poor-house. So how come there is such a lack of interest on the part of the fans there? I can only speculate that there are no real fans, only individuals who might show up occasionally.

It can be said that the present situation of the Cub's standing may change later in the year, which we have become used to, but it still doesn't change the fact that our fans are true to the team no matter what.

Hopefully, this year, our teams will meet in the playoffs again. I suspect that there will be a different outcome than 07.

Paul Woods 5 years, 10 months ago

Great weekend baseball series between the Cubs & the White Sox. It had been hyped in the local media endlessly. Almost like the old Dodgers (when they were still in NY) & the Giant's rivalry. Even though the Cubs & Sox rivalry isn't as long standing, it's become quite the thing around here.

If any of you watched the game last night, Tim Ehrhardt (my fellow Cubs fan probably did) you saw a jam packed stadium, very happy people, and the hope that this really is the Cubbies year. After 100 years being bridesmaids it's time they got it together.

Wouldn't it be a terrific thing if The Cubs & the Sox met in a true Crosstown Classic called the World Series this year. It's been hoped for decades that there would be a subway series in this town before the next millennium. The sports yokels around here would be foaming at the mouth and falling all over themselves.

This coming weekend there will be another series played, but this time at the Sox stadium. I will be curious to see if the South side fans will support their team as well as the Cubs fans did this past weekend.

As said in an earlier post, I sure hope that there will be another playoff series between the snakes & the Cubbies. I don't think this year will be the same outcome as last. And I will be curious to see if Phoenix can put more people in the stands than their usual 50% capacity.

Paul Woods 5 years, 6 months ago

Guess it ain't gonna happen. No playoff game between the snakes & the CUBS. Guess the thumping by the CUBS earlier in the year was nice, but a playoff sweep would have made up for last year. Still there's always next year. We've become used to that around here, kinda like a motto for CUBS fans.

And Susan, this year it's our turn at last. "woo hoo" GO CUBS!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.