How about those Cardinals?

Comments

Pat Randall 5 years, 11 months ago

Non-believers. They made it . Going to the Super Bowl.

Gary Lamken 5 years, 11 months ago

For the last three games, my non-believing wife really thought the Cards would fold like a cheap suit. (Wow what a fitting pun) I won two dinners out, and yesterday I won a date with her to a Willie Nellson concert. (She hates Willie.) I was worried when the Eagles went ahead in the second half, if they had won I would have had to take her to see Barry Manilow. (I feel about the same towards him as Mary does about Willie.) So its all been good. But I do not know if I will bet on them in the Stuper Bowl.

Nothing surprises me in sprorts. I am not a football fan but went to all the Westwood HS games when my kids were in school. None of them played. They won one game in the last three seconds.

We went to a NASCAR race in California, everyone was leaving because they thought they knew who was going to win. He crashed someway all by himself, and caused a massive pileup. The driver that was in 13th place won the race. Never take any for granted.

I think Willie wrote some great songs, but don't like to hear him sing or look at him I go back to the old days when he came out on stage with beautiful western cut suits and short-short hair. One of the best dressed country-western singers of that time.

Don't fall off your chair, but the best live show I ever went to was Liberace. He was a true showmen.

Soul2Soular 5 years, 11 months ago

And here all of this time I figured you for a Guns n Roses, CORN or Metallica kind of gal! Will the wonders never stop? :-) Just joshin ya Pat! Have you ever even heard of those bands? This should surprise you, I love almost all music but some of my favorites are Tom Jones, Marty Robbins, Merle Haggard, and Beethoven. Love it all. Too bad I didn't bet for a concert, I would have picked Elton John and Billy Joel.

Go Cardinals! Cardinals Super Bowl Champs 2009?!?! How cool would that be?

Terri, A gal raised in Payson being a Guns and Roses fan ???

Like I said, I was just pullin your leg! But I must say, you do seem fairly up with things, water skiing, football, bar owning, and all that deviousness. :-) You are a pretty spunky ol' gal, so who knows, rock n roll just might be your thing. Wouldn't surprise me a bit! And besides, I used to like Guns n Roses a lot! By the way, I know Liberace played the piano, but what kind of music was it, classical?

And now check this out, here we are on the sports forum talking music?! :-) Oh well, can't help it. If the thread might lead that way, I will follow. It is kind of like a maze where you are not sure where each turn in the conversation might take you, huh?

Terri, Bill Haley, Elvis, Humperdink, Tom Jones, Hank Williams, Marty Robbins, Reba, Cher, Mandrell sisters. I like almost all music except hard rock, and rap. Don't consider them music.

Susan Grubbs 5 years, 11 months ago

Love 60s Motown. James Taylor. Michael Buble, Bette Midler, Barbra Streisand. Bonnie Raitt. Elton John -mainly his music from the 70s. Chicago. John Legend. Beyonce - the woman can sing. Early Beatles. Lots of pop and (soft) rock. Lots of current groups, like One Republic. Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Joseph and his Technicolor Dreamcoat. The Messiah. Oklahoma. The Music Man. Pretty much anything by Rodgers and Hammerstein. Don't like rap. Dislike country music most of all.

Go Cards!

Mike McLaughlin 5 years, 11 months ago

I've never been too much for roses but Guns we can do! :)

If you don't think Pat has some spunk, let me tell you a story. I was sitting at the table the other evening and heard a knock at the door. Who do you suppose came knocking on the former Marine Harley ridin gun totin Shovelheads door? :)

Dean, I KNEW you rocked! I just heard Collective Soul on XM satellite the other day and was singing along and swaying to the tune (no, I wasn't holding my lighter in the air!) :-) What is funny is that about 3 or 4 years ago a song came on the radio by REO Speedwagon and I started rockin out and singing like crazy. My 13 year old daughter was looking at me like I had just lost it and she was going to have to call the men in the white coats! I said, "Don't you like REO?" Her response? "Who are they?" Talk about a wild and crazy good mood being slam dunked down the toilet! That was my first time with being let know that I was getting old. It was harsh, really harsh! :-)

Pat, What can I say, I like all of those you listed. Especially Cher. She was one of the original power house voices for women singers to follow in her tracks. Susan, you've got James Taylor on there, but you left off Carly Simon, another power house! And how about Carol King? All the rest are great too. Makes me want to hear some Simon and Garfunkel - Me and Julio (Down by the Schoolyard), or some Jim Croce. OMG, I am so getting up there! :-) And I love it.

Susan, When I was growing up country music was not how it is now. I don't listen to most of the new stuff, too loud, to much show, To many musicians. I go for 2 guitars, fiddle, bass fiddle, piano and a drum low volume without all the loud gyrating crap.

Shovelhead, I keep saying I don't say anything behind anyone's back I wouldn't say to thier face. (:

Terri, yeah, I like Carly and Carole. And Simon and Garfunkel. And Jim Croce. Like Jimmy Buffet. Fleetwood Mac. Going back further to my early childhood - Peter, Paul, and Mary. Kingston Trio. The Letterman.

It's much easier to list what I don't like - those can be categorized by type. Don't like country (never have), rap .... or polka ;-). Can't say that I like opera. Really don't like heavy metal or hard rock. But, I did like the Doors, the Who, and Jimi Hendrix. Guess they'd be classified as hard rock, at least in the 60s and 70s. Oh, even liked some Janis Joplin.

I reserve the right to amend my list of "don't like". Wasn't much into who sang what, other than individual artists, once I got into college. For instance, I'm sure that I liked some music by REO, but couldn't give you a name of a song they did. Used to like Lennard Skinner (sic), but couldn't tell you what the songs were.

Susan, How about Jethro Tull or Led Zeppelin? They were great. Both of my boys love Jethro Tull, which is so cute, as it is their Dad's favorite! I was born in 69 but started listening along with my Mom at the bars (yep I was a bar baby) and boy did I down those Shirley Temples. My favorite times were at the Maverick with these rough tough biker guys (big ole teddy bears to me) I think that they were the Hell's Angels. Pappy was like a dad to me and he always let me go play the juke box. I guess that I owe my eclectic musical tastes to a biker. :-)

Shovelhead, Well, who was it? Just kiddin. Yep, from what I've seen and heard Mrs. Randall has got some pretty big cajon..... ooops, I mean yep, she is one spunky lady. Give em Hell Pat! :-)

Terri, I wasn't a fan of either Jethro Tull or Led Zepplin.

I'm really of a different generation - born in '52, am a true boomer and child of the 60s. Started college in '70. Listened to plenty of music, but really did study a lot and didn't have money to go to bars very often. And, college bars were too loud to hear any of the music. I don't remember even going to a bar, after graduating from college. Never went to a concert until after I was married, in '79.

I did grow up around music. Had older sibs, who were growing up in the 50's, so listened to a lot of early rock 'n' roll and folk. Music of the 60s really was largely Motown and the Beatles, with harder rock around more by the late 60s. Listened to plenty of Simon and Garfunkel in high school, certainly. One of our prom themes was "Scarbarough Fair." By the time the 70s rolled around, we were listening to Carly, Carole, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Elton John, and, of course, James Taylor.

Music on my iPod - stuff like Bette, Michael Buble, Stephen Bishop, Joshua Kaddison, Bonnie Raitt, assorted other artists, and plenty of music of the 60's and 70's. Some from the current decade. Not one hard rock song, nor any country.

I must be really old ! Half the artists mentioned I have never heard of. I remember when people used to talk about Jefferson Airplane. I think that was what the group was called. I wondered what the h--- are they talking about but wouldn't ask. Believe it or not folks, I was a very shy person until about 1991. I know that is hard to believe. (:

Pat, Jefferson Airplane was very popular, probably in the late 60's, early 70's. Their most notable song was "White Rabbit" ... "one pill makes you happy, one pill makes you strong (?)...." That's the only song I really remember by them, but I think they were considered "acid" rock.

According to wikipedia, acid rock was psychedelic rock, with long instrumental solos, few lyrics, lots of improvisation. LSD influenced. Some other names from the acid rock category, besides Jefferson Airplaine - Jimi Hendrix, Grafeful Dead, Riders of the Purple Sage.

More information than you wanted? I imagine it was.

Susan, you know I never get to much information. Guess that is why I didn't know the names, didn't listen to acid rock.

Don't like the way the so called country western singers dress. If I am going to spend money to go watch them I want them to look good.

Susan, I like the mellower sounds as well. I actually never even had heard Led Zeppelin until my freshman year in high school up here in Payson. And although I remember vaguely hearing a few Jethro Tull songs, I had no idea who sang them until my husband and I were married. I can remember when I was little, little, like 4 years old, the cover of the Grateful Dead's album scared the "you know what" outta me! Everytime somebody would take it out to play it, I would freak out! Liked their songs after I grew up though! I don't remember any of Joni Mitchell's songs, although I am sure I would know one if I heard it, same with Bonnie Raitt. But Carly's Your So Vain was awesome and apparently the whole fam damily would laugh their drunk Irish butt's off at me singing Simon and Garfunkel's "Cecelia" at the top of my lungs! I knew every word to the song, luckily, at 4 I had no idea what those words meant! All of my aunts and uncles were musically inclined and so there were lots of parties with playing music together and singing. My Grandma's favorite is "Good Night Irene" and I loved to sing "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean." Do you know who sang either of those songs originally?

Terri, Wild guess on "Good Night Irene" . Seems the Everly Bros. made a recording of it. A country-western singer did too. I have it somewhere. Another of my collections. I probably have a thousand 33 records along with 45's and a few 78's left. Every type of music you can think of. How many artists have recorded "Release Me"?

Gary Lamken 5 years, 11 months ago

Ya know I really did not mean to change this string from the Cardinals to music, I was stating a note on one of my wagers. And while I might not bet on the Cards, I will be cheering for them. Go Cardinals

Ummmmm...? I give up. I am trying to remember the song. Give me a line or two of the lyrics. Then maybe I can think of the answer.

Is there any way to make a recording from an album? I would love to have that recording of Good Night Irene. Even when the boys were little, I would sing the chorus along with lullabies to put them to sleep. My uncles could play it perfectly with their guitars, my grandma singing and my aunts harmonizing. It was really something special. They played lots of stuff, a couple of them were hilarious, one was called "My Dingaling" that was especially funny. My other funny favorite was, oh crap, I don't know the name, something like, "Think I'm Gonna Eat Some Worms" I am sure that you have heard that one sung before.

Maybe some time I could come take a look at your collection? I think I might still have some of my mom's that I had kept for years. Those were mostly the artists thought that Susan and I were talking about. Probably wouldn't go along with the rest of your collection. I am a real music freak. I can relate most anything to some song or other, and music has always helped me to cope when things are tough.

Sorry Firemedic! The music part really took off, didn't it! Sorry about the Cardinals getting sidelined. Although, in these tough, negative, depressing times, I think anything light, positive, and non-controversial is something that we are all craving. So, with that thought in mind, I guess we all need to thank you for giving us a break from the same ol' same ol'. Hey, there is a Poison (80's big hair band) tune that says, "I need a break from the same ol' same ol'. I need a chance just to get away. If you could hear me think, this is what I'd say. Don't need nothin but a good time!" Yes. That is what we all needed, so thanks again Gary!
Maybe somebody knows some kind of music trivia about football. I know.... Does anybody know how many songs have been about or mentioned football in them? Me neither, yet. I will look it up if nobody else knows. Help me out here Pat. You are the trivia Queen after all.

Terri, the changing of subjects happens all the time on this forum.

Terri, Went to Google 6,430,000 items for football songs.

Woo Hoo! I knew you would come through for me Pat.
Susan, I have kinda noticed something along those lines myself! :-)

Pat Randall 5 years, 10 months ago

Is everyone afraid to mention the name Cardinals today ?

Kelly Watts 5 years, 10 months ago

Pat,

The song Good Night Irene was recorded in 1950 by The Weavers! A great classic.

Pat Randall 5 years, 10 months ago

Kelly, I danced a lot of miles to that song here in Payson. Thought it was recorded before then.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.