Heart attacks in young sports players

Comments

Pat Randall 4 years, 3 months ago

I asked the coach on the radio today what kind of physical exam the team players were given and he didn't have a clue. He said I would have to ask the Drs. that did them. Seems the schools would have some guidelines. Evidently they aren't screening them enough. There have been too many dying lately in high school or shortly after from heart problems.

Dan Varnes 4 years, 3 months ago

Pat, look what happened to ol' 'Slick Willy' Clinton.

He was in office for eight years and had the absolute very best doctors, the best medical care money can buy and an extensive annual check every year. For eight years, he was probably better cared for than anyone else on Earth.

But look what happened after he'd been out of office for a very short time: A quadruple bypass. Before his bypass, there wasn't one word spoken about his heart problems. "He's as healthy as a horse" they used to tell us.

The only real way to properly check every kid that want to play sports would be to require a heart stress test, a treadmill EKG and a few blood cholesterol checks.

Ain't gonna happen, cuz' nobody can afford it.

I am talking about teenagers and young people in their twenties like the one that died here in Payson not long ago. A treadmill EKG is a stress test. Mr. Clinton was a lot older and had abused his body for a long time.

Thanks for missing every point I made.

The young man that recently died had an enlarged heart and was 25. He had been out of school for seven years. How can any high school doctor be held responsible for a person's birth defect or possible drug side-effects?

Clinton used to jog every day with the Secret Service following him. Don't you remember those fat, fish-belly white legs of his?

How did Clinton abuse his body? He wasn't a cigarette smoker like Obama is.

Your points are hard to catch up with. If they have a birth defect it should show up with reasonable exam.

1) Bill Clinton was 60 years old when doctors performed emergency bypass surgery on him.

2) Bill Clinton was 46 when he was elected to the Presidency. He left the White House when he was 54.

3) Any competent doctor would look much closer at the hearth health of a 46-54 year old man than that of a 16, 17 or 18 year old boy.

4) If the best doctors in the USA didn't spot heart problems in a middle-aged, male president, how likely is it that "average Payson doctors" would spot it in teen-aged boys?

Clinton's heart problems were not birth defects. It was his style of living. Big difference.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how Slick Willy abused his health.

Drinking, smoking, eating wrong foods. Why don't you ever answer any questions?

Ruby Finney 4 years, 3 months ago

Slick Willy's favorite snack midway through his morning jog was a Big Mac. He had no respect for his cholestorol count and admitted it! He probably couldn't understand what the doctors told him about his food intake -- after all he never could understand what the meaning of "is" is !

PAT: "Why don't you ever answer any questions?"

Why? Because you didn't ASK me any questions, Pat. Go back and read your posts, you'll see I'm right.

PAT: "Drinking, smoking, eating wrong foods."

Clinton wasn't known to be a smoker. An occasional cigar isn't very harmful since you don't inhale. :) Obama is the only cigarette smoking President that I can remember. Michelle Obama is always talking about how Americans don't eat right, and every time I see her on TV, she's eating ice cream.

Slick Willy wasn't know to be much of a drinker, either. Just because he had a red nose doesn't make him an alcoholic. His doctors never told us about any type of drinking problem. Where did you get your 'facts,' about Clinton, Pat?

As far as I remember, Clinton's health checkups always showed him to be in good health, but when his doctor said that he should 'slim down" a little, he did. Remember?

Eating a hamburger every so often isn't very harmful to your health or most Americans would be dead by now.

We all can't be health-food eating, non-smoking, exercise fanatics like you, Pat. [:0

My health shouldn't enter into this. I am not a health-food, non smoking, exercise fanatic. I am suffering because of it. Heart stint, bad back and overweight. Have a handicap plate because I can't walk very far. Satisfied ? Not that it is any of your business. This was a thread about teenagers and health exams before doing sports. Of course it seems you never know what any one is posting about.

Mike McLaughlin 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe you need a day or two off Pat. Your evil twin side is starting to take over again :)

My evil twin defends me when some jerk starts in on me that has nothing to do with what the thread is about and gets nasty about it. He can't post without taking a crack at anyone that posts. You know me Shovelhead, I don't back off even if it gets me kicked off.

Pat Randall 3 years, 11 months ago

Dan Varnes Was reading your post of Aug. 24 at 1:47 PM. The tests you mentioned are a lot cheaper than a funeral and a lot less painful for families and friends. If schools can get money for bands, uniforms for sports and all the other non essential things, why can't they get money for good physical exams?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.