Sports - Racing

Comments

Pat Randall 7 years, 11 months ago

Car racing is a sport. At one time there were 4 or 5 Dwarf Car Racers in Payson and Tonto Basin. Dave Crowell and his son or daughter, and Ward who owned Sparklette Water were some of them. Justin and Dwight Randall from Tonto Basin. 2 of them were rookie of the year the first year they raced. One was Northern Arizona Dwarf Car racing points winner in 2003 and 2005. There is also a man who builds his own race car to race at the Salt Flats in Utah. Not a Dwarf Car! I have never read anything in the paper about any of these racers. There is more to sports besides the softball or baseball tournaments that are held here at our high dollar parks. These are outside people. How about a little story about home town 'boys' and 'girls'?

Pat Randall 7 years, 10 months ago

Dean, This is for you. Sat. night Justin started 4th in heat race, came in 2. 8 laps Started 7 in main event 3rd lap he was in 3rd place going for 2nd when a car tried to block him and he hit the wall and broke a tierod, and hurt his shoulder. That was the end for Sat. night. Sun. night he won the heat race. He was so far ahead I couldn't get a picture of him and the 2nd place driver. He started the Main in pole position and held it all the way for the win. The 3rd race last night was a shootout. 10 drivers with highest points for the two nights. 10 laps. He started 7th and came in 3rd. He was smiling every time he came off the track even on Sat. with a smashed car and a hurting shoulder. It makes the rest of the drivers wonder what he is up to. Like his grandma.(:

I took some pictures, but I don't think the lights were bright enough. I couldn't get a picture of how far in front of the 2nd car he was in the heat race. My lens wouldn't go wide enough. He was almost a 1/4 of the track ahead of the 2nd car in the heat race. What a boy when he gets P. off. He says his motor runs better when they make him mad.... Not that he drives more aggresive.(:

Tonight was Showlow night. Justin started 4th in heat race, finished 4th. Started 12th in main race finished 2nd. No pictures.

Pat Randall 7 years, 9 months ago

Showlow. Justin 2nd in heat race. I missed it as we didn't leave Payson untill 6:00PM . Started 7th in Main came in 2nd, Never could get his car into 3rd gear.

Prescott Valley, I didn't go but heard thru the grapevine, Justin started 13th in the main got into a crash , flattened his left rear tire, kept driving because he was passing cars like crazy, then the motor blew up!!

O.K. Dean, I will start over on the race thing July 1. I didn't go, but Justin came in 2nd in his heat race. Out of 30 cars, he ended up 14th for the night with a flat tire and a wire pulled loose. The motor didn't blow up a wire came loose.

I didn't know he held the record for 20 laps at Prescott Valley set on July 16, 2005. 7.10

Home from Showlow. Justin 3rd in heat race. Started 8th in main, had just got to first place and one car stalled, and another flipped at the other end of the track. No one was hurt. Red flag. When they restarted, one guy did a Texas start, Justin came in second, but wrote a protest on the restart. If they agree after looking at the films, he will have won one finally. There is now another Dwarf racer from Tonto Basin. Jimmie Johns, tonight was his second race and I think he came in about 14th out of 21 cars. Rookies have to start in last place for the first three races they drive in. Haven't seen Dave Crowell at the races all this season.

Dean, The officials saw the start, but two of the radios wouldn't work so they couldn't call the official in the box. They ran the tape and saw it but still wouldn't disqualify the driver, gave Justin 2nd instead of first. The 'winner' was from Showlow. Kinda like the politics and how the town has been run here in Payson!!!

Jimmy Johns just called me and said he came in 10th not 14th. Excuseee Me Jimmie.

Manzanita July 21 Justin won Prescott Valley July 22 In the lead last lap, motor went. finished 5th. As long as no one gets hurt and he enjoys, Grandma don't care where he comes in. I didn't go to either race and forgot to ask how Jimmy Johns did. I will be in trouble with him again.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.