Taylor Pool

Comments

Pat Randall 8 years, 2 months ago

Guess who is one of the managers at Taylor Pool this year. Yep, my grandaughter Mandy. There just is no end to my grandkids talents. Mandy will want to strangle me for this, but granny is proud. See front page of tonights paper.

Susan Grubbs 8 years, 2 months ago

Good for your granddaughter, Pat.

I had read the article, but re-read it just now. My kids sure used the pool a lot, but their use tapered off when the pool stopped offering family and individual passes. It's all about the money, of course, but unless the pool offers some special deals, the use of the pool will never be what it could. Think about it. $2 per swim.

Don't know if the rule is still the same, but I remember a time when my sister, her kids, my kids, and I all went to the pool. We had a family pass, but our guests did not - had paid (at that time) $1 each to swim. Within 10 minutes of our arrival, there was lightning and the pool was cleared. I certainly agree that the pool should have been cleared, but disagreed when my sister was told that they would have to pay again when the pool re-opened - which it did just 15 minutes later.

If pool usage is down, the town has only itself to blame. It's not just families with kids who suffer from the cost and lack of passes. Older folks with no kids would surely like to use the pool more, but cannot on fixed incomes.

Landproud, Thank you. Maybe you should go to the Parks and Rec. committee meeting and voice your opinion to them. My daughter (not Mandy's mother) had the same problem a few years ago. She needs to swim for her health. Parks can spend over $700,000 for more ball parks for outside team tournaments, but keep raising the price at the pool. It all boils down to, they want to build a multi-generational building with an enclosed pool or else a YMCA. All for pretty ,not for real use. It cost the town of Showlow about a $1million a year to subsidize their indoor 'playpen'.
Payson has a hard time keeping life guards at Taylor pool for a few months in the summer. I don't know how they will get lifeguards year around. Now you have me started on Town spending again. They also subsidize the library and want to enlarge it, and the airport. If they would put all their impact fees into one place and use it for NEEDS not wants, we would have a much better, citizen friendlier town.

Susan Grubbs 8 years, 2 months ago

My daughter swam in a meet at the Show Low pool. Don't think any of us were impressed with the pool or the setup.

It's been my experience that trying to talk to Parks and Rec and Bill Schwinn, specifically, is like talking to a wall. He has an agenda, as you well know. Do you see anything changing as long as he is "the guy?" I don't.

Go on the town website and find out when the committee meets, and get one of them to get your problem on the agenda. He doesn't always control all of them. Maybe Dept. Heads should be elected instead of hired!!!

Pat Randall 8 years, 1 month ago

Not enough life guards. SO lets go for the big one, You know the multi generational center with a pool open all year long!!!

In the paper it says there are 14 lifeguards. The kids don't want a job. The pay isn't bad to sit by a pool for a few hours a day, but that would take them away from their computer games or whatever it is they spend their time doing.

You looking for a job? Call the parks dept or put in a request for info. They have to tell you.

Mike McLaughlin 8 years, 1 month ago

there's that disposition again! all I asked was how much was the "not bad" pay.

Since these young men and women are providing such a valuable service , perhaps the users of Taylor pool should subsidize the "not bad" pay with a dollar a person lifeguard fee to be split between the lifeguards that are on duty. The lifeguards get a better paycheck and the funding is by users and not the whole town! I read where the fee is 2.00 a day so what's another dollar. It would still be cheaper than day care!

Susan Grubbs 8 years, 1 month ago

When my daughter was a lifeguard at Taylor Pool, I believe that the guards were paid minimum wage, perhaps slightly more.

I wouldn't pay $2 to swim at Taylor Pool, unless that $2 would allow me to go in and out throughout the day. The last I knew, it cost $2 each time you enter, even if you left just 15 minutes before.

Cheaper than day care. Well, that's true, but a swimming pool, even one with well-trained lifeguards should never be used as a babysitter. In addition, unless the rules have changed, a child under the age of 7 isn't allowed to swim in the big pool without a parent, a child 7 and under can't be in the little pool without a parent, and children under a certain age (specific age escapes me right now) are not allowed in the pool at all without someone 16 years (I believe) or older.

shovelhead, I know what my granddaughter gets but I don't feel I have the right to post it. That was why I said call the parks dept. They will give you a starting wage probably. I was kidding when I asked if you were looking for a job. They don't allow Harleys in the pool. (:

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.