When will it stop?

Comments

Pat Randall 4 years, 10 months ago

PapaBear, Haven't you learned by now you vote for the person who you think will do the least harm? I can't figure that one out at this time.

Dan Haapala 4 years, 10 months ago

My choice for President of the United States will be an individual that understands there is no free lunch. They will protect the fact that those who work and endeavor to make their families and themselves better off financially are not the enemies of our country but it's foundation. My next President will hopefully have the courage to say NO when some ask for a handout instead of a hand up, because those who do can no longer support those who don't, and shouldn't. This world is not fair, nothing can make it fair, cry if we want to, survival is about individual effort and nothing else. My President will stop taking from the productive to give to the unproductive because they are " in need". My president will stop saying teachers must be fair to under priviledged children and bring down the level of education to lowest common denominator. My next president will stop paying for higher education partying at universties and colleges around the country and require students who want to learn to get ahead by getting the best grades, actively participating in class and rise to the top......To be the best students they can be and take personal responsibility for their lives. My President may or may not be in the running this time around, I have my hopes, but if they don't come forward soon, it will be too late and there will be no recovery from those who stand with their hand out and that will bring with it, the shackles that come with slavery.

Yes and here's why. From the time I was able to push the lawn mower across our front yard, I have worked. My parents explained that wants are accompanied by responsibility and effort, that they can be achieved. Around our home I had chores to do weekly and when I had done them satisfactorily, I was compensated. 25 cents a week was enough to help me save for my model cars. At ten, I began mowing neighbors yards ( no power mower then) for $1.50, $ .50 more for edging and weeding the flowerbeds. At 16 I worked weekends at a malt shop bussing tables during the day and did the same at Shakey's pizza at night. For forty years of my working life I was never without a job. It wasn't always the job I wanted, but it was a self satisfying, self fulfilling, and paying job. Many times it did not include so called luxuries, merely necessesities, but there were good times as well. Always it was because I was willing to work. Once in the early 80s during another recession, I had to take unemployment compensation, there were no jobs. I used that money to purchase broken cars and parted them out, one part, one car, at a time for as much as 100 times my investment. Where there is a will to work, there is a way to earn a living. A decade earlier, I roomed with a friend who spent his days on the couch. I asked why he didn't have a job and his response was "...no one will pay me what I'm worth!" I told him he was getting paid exactly what he was worth and to find another place to live.

The funniest thing on the forum is when people don't know the difference in my sarcasm or joking.

frederick franz 4 years, 10 months ago

Pat,

I read your comments just fine!!! Keep them coming!!!

I knew well a National motivational speaker named Zig Ziglar, I consider him a friend. Zig wrote a book called 'Biscuits, Fleas, and pump handles' If you can find it Papa, you should read it. I put no one down for accepting a job for whatever wage is offered and struggle to make a living. I challenge, However, the notion that they cannot do better. Consider this. Every American working for minimum wage or slightly more, (thank you government) should quit his or her job and say this is not fair and I won't work anymore. Oh alright, maybe that's too harsh. Let's go back to school and tell all the students work harder get a 3.0 average or you're out on your A%*. Maybe we should go back to high school and say pass this course or stay here until you do. Want a job, get smart. Every American has the right, and I believe the obligation to learn to be the best that they can be. There is no excuse for not excelling. Absolutely none. Be the big man on campus and fail your classes, get out of my way. Party tell the sun comes up and fail your final exam, sorry, go away. From Birth there is an opportunity and in this country and obligation to be all that you can be. You can grab on and take it, or go play in the sand box, the choice is there. Most of the rich who aquired wealth to pass on, were not rich when they started. Those who did not or have not earned wealth will waste their fortunes and die broke. My opinion. I welcome a response.

I'm going to add one more thing. SSI disability income. I know too many people who are recieving disability income that shouldn't. Some years ago it became easy to claim a mental or physical malady and get on the government handout dole. That should not have happened. The political party that believes we should have the right to kill unborn children but not take the life of murderes, also believes that people who want to work but find the thought to strenuous, should be given compensation by the people who get up and go to work everyday. The very people that earn the least pay payroll taxes from every check and they believe they pay taxes. When the year ends they file and get back money and think that's okay, but the rest of us pick up the tab because the elite in Washington believe we should help the poor. Blah, Blah, Blah. Robert, my mantra is simple and here it is: I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord: who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen. And going a step farther, Responsibility is mine and mine alone. I can blame no one for my errors, faults or failings, It is me. Similarly, when I succeed, I must bless my creator for the gift of wisdom and the knowledge of when to act on thine inspiration. All things come from God.

Kim Chittick 4 years, 10 months ago

I am going to sidestep the last few posts...far too incendiary for me to comment!! I suspect that Papa Bear is more correct that many of us know in his assertion that "many of us have a life history...". However, that applies to those of us looking for or gaining intellectual stimulation by reading and/or posting on this blog. There are far too many people out there who cannot recite a life history that is rife with personal responsibility and accountability. People who don't know or don't care about the philosophy of "work hard to live well". I personally can tell the story of a perfectly able bodied younger middle aged couple right here in Payson. This couple have no physical or mental limitations; and yet they are collecting AHCCCS and Food Stamps! They both love the outdoors and are very good at building, landscaping and groundskeeping. I have suggested that they apply at Home Depot...whereupon I was told that "Home Depot wouldn't hire us, we couldn't pass the drug test cuz we smoke pot". Furthermore, when my husband approached the wife about doing weekly yard cleanup for us. He was informed that she charges $25.00 per hour!! To rake leaves and pine needles! See, it is far easier to collect a handout, than to accept a hand up. I have said on here previously, and I am certain that I will say it again, it is all about personal responsibility and...wait for it, wait, wait, wait...CHOiCES!!! We ALL make choices in life.

I have figured it out. People do not want a job, they want a position they did not earn. Have heard people that were not working, collecting money from somewhere and say, I'm not flipping burgers at MacDonalds for $7.00 an hour. No they would rather take money they didn't earn or pay into like the rest of us. Have you ever been parked in front of DES or AHCCCS or the food bank and watched the people who go in. First they have to finish thier cigarette. Some cost almost as much as $$6.00 a pack. Some have on the expensive Nike shoes and drinking a large cup of something. Wonder why they aren't spending that money on food or housing? Kimmer, does that person have a town business license to do yard cleanup? Would deductions be taken out of her pay? Would you pay into SS for her, workmens comp and unemployment? I already know the answer. (: If everyone would quit hiring these kind of people where they get money from the govt. and us too without paying anything in they would finally have to get a real job. I know how much cigarettes cost. I pay $118.50 for 2 cartons. that is 20 packs . Yes, my husband and I worked and never ever collected any unemployment or any other freebee. When we sold our business in Tempe we paid enough taxes to keep a lot of familes living quite well. I know we could have done a better job with it than the govt. has.

PB. I started working at 13 serving hamburgers and other foods here in Payson at the Roundup Malt shop. We had a chicken and egg farm in Mesa. We owned a ranch west of Payson. I worked in a clothing factory in Mesa. I had a real estate license for 23 yrs. My husband had a brokers license for about 10 years, and a contractors license for many years. We were part owners of a Ready Mix Plant in Tempe. No, Payson concrete was not involved. I managed our trailer manufacturing plant in Tempe. I did a little bit of everything in the restaurant and bar in Tonto Basin including scrubbing toilets. Raised three kids. Don't owe anyone a penny for anything. Not bragging just stating facts that you don't need a college degree. Not to bad for two kids with no college degree or high school diploma.

The only thing stopping the entreprenuerial spirit in the country is the Government. They want to protect us, keep us from harm from nasty inventions that could ????? whatever. Every roadblock to success is a stone of regulation from a group of people who would have us indebted to them so they can stay in power. Another thought. The rich who have given their offspring all they didn't have. Have killed them. Just like the parks where people are warned not to feed the bears. Giving children all their hearts desire, doesn't teach them the most important part of life, how to make it happen, not buy the store. And how about this, the Government controls education, what do they teach that allows us to experiment and come up with new solutions to old problems. ...don't get mad I'm just asking. Here's the hardest rub. Where are the young people on this forum? Where is the future? Do they read this? Are they afraid to post? Does it not interest them and if so why not? Our time is rapidly passing. We can pass on hope or doom but either way if someone doesn't pick up the banner and carry on, all is lost

Kim Chittick 4 years, 10 months ago

Aaah, Dan, so, so true. Why I remember when I was growing up and they things we didn't have, as well as the things we did. We didn't have seat belts, or bicycle helmets, or video games. We hung over the back seat, breathing down Dad's neck until he roared at us to "sit down on your butts". Of course we fell down on our bikes, but we got back up, dusted ourselves off and rode on, especially since we knew that if we went crying to Mom, she would squirt bactine or swab mercurochrome (ooooh did that sting!) on it, put a band aid on it and make us stay off our bikes for a day (oh the agony!!). And, who had time for video games? We were too busy building forts (that were cobbled together from scraps we scrounged, not bought at Big 5, and certainly not OSHA approved!)), or catching tad poles, or playing "Army". We didn't have computers and cell phones and Ipods. We had Encyclopedia Brittanica, two tin cans and a string, and transistors. We had the knowledge that when we heard our Dad's whistle, it was time to go eat dinner. We knew that when the street lights came on, it was time to go in. We didn't have car pools and tennis lessons and dance. We had our bicycles, physical education in school, and the freedom of the outdoors. We had the responsibility of "chores". The knowledge that our beds were to be made when we got out of them. That there were certain responsibilities that were expected of us as members of our household. Becoming old enough to do the dishes was almost a rite of passage. As was the nightly disagreement between siblings about whose turn it was to set the table and whose to do the dishes. Now, I am not looking back with rose colored glasses. I realize that we also had bad things, but, all things considered, I think back to my childhood, and think that it was a pretty idyllic time. As for Dan's contention that rich parents who give their children everything, have killed them? I completely agree. Look at the Hilton family. Those kids have been given the world and what have they done with it? 2 of them have been in serious trouble with the law and skated on all charges. They are famous for being famous. Then you have the Kardashian family...Yikes!! Spend $10 million on a wedding and less than 3 months later, file for divorce! These types of people don't understand the meaning of personal responsibility, or accountability because their family money has always rescued them. I wish, Dan H. that I had the answers to the questions you pose. I don't know where the young people are, or why they don't get involved in this forum. And I am terrified for the future.

Some reasons young people don't post. A few are working, playing video games, texting. looking for drugs or the parents are giving them money to get them out of the house.

At least for the last several years, I've watched a number of new posters come and go and I think most have had an interesting comment to add. The only posters I have seen go were those who seemed to be intolerant of other opinions. Tom is an excellant example of a posting member who does his homework. It's easy to just express thoughts or opinions about any given subject, but then to back it up with historical recorded fact means the poster has to work. He knows not everyone agrees but accepts that in order to be agreeable. We all have the right to disagree but we shouldn't be disagreeable.
I sure would enjoy reading a post from a high school student on any topic they chose, or any young adult, working or not. Most of us have talked fondly about our past and how it was, but these days we are currently living (regardless of how we feel about them) will be good old days for these youth and I'd like to know what they think and what makes them tick, as we codgers say, and I'd like them to have the courage to stick with it and answer our polite questions. Anyone out there know some young people they could encourage? Maybe we could double dog dare them.

Here's a thought, why don't we start a string called...are you ready...."ask an old fogey"... I'll join in and answer, could be a kick. Questions would have to come from the under 30 crowd not the over 30 crowd, we couldn't trust them remember?

Pat Randall 4 years, 9 months ago

PB I would prefer you not respond to me.
If you go back and read every word in my post I said a few. Do you need to look up the word few in the dictionary or did you see it?

Kim Chittick 4 years, 9 months ago

Aaaah Papa Bear...Sorry to disappoint you, but...I totally agree with you! I consider myself to be conservative, however, I also have some liberal viewpoints on certain social issues. I agree that abortion should be solely a womans choice. (Sorry to all you would be baby daddies) In light of the fact that it is the womans body which is changed forever, she carries the baby beneath her heart and within her body. No matter what happens, she is irrevocably altered by that pregnancy. However, that is also why I feel that abortion should not be used as a form of birth control and should only be an option in the case of rape, incest, or some other traumatic action. Too many young women give in to the boys with whom they are having unprotected sex, and risk pregnancy, as well as various and sundry other unwanted problems. Women, as the bearers of the next generation need to accept more...wait for it, here it is again!!! PERSoNAL RESPONSiBILITY. Women, girls. females, need to have enough respect for themselves and for the priviliege that we have been given to give life, to tell a male, NO!!, No protection, no sex!! Or better yet, No marriage, no sex. Surprised you, huh?

Pat Randall 4 years, 9 months ago

Maybe we should go back to the old iron chasity belts with the locks and key. Give the key to the parents.

Dan Haapala 4 years, 9 months ago

The way I see it. In the 1940's sex was drawings, some french photos, bragging amongst the males but not a subject for polite conversation in mixed company. In the 1950's, young people were pushing the envelope, showing more skin, taking more chances and experimenting sexually. It was feel good time. In the 1960's, Playboy Magazine was no longer taboo, Parents were too busy, Kids found recreation in sex, probably because it was tabooed, and drugs became a major player in the underground of society. In the 1970's, It was free for all. NO rules, just do what feels good. Dress, customs, work, play, everthing changed. Feel good was the call of the wild and liberal education encouraged it. Then came a reality check. Double digit inflation. Double digit interest. The world taking America as being weak and attacking where they could, The Iranian hostages. Sexually transmitted diseases. Abortion. I'm going to stop here because some may not have seen it that way. But I will add this. Sexual Intercourse between a man and a woman is supposed to result in another human. All of nature says that's the way it is supposed to be. When an Individual chooses to have sex for a purely self gratification reason, and it results in the creation of another human, they should not be allowed to kill that heart beat.

Why would I not grant citizens the right to kill if it's in their bodies, but protest the right to kill if a criminal has abused society? Is that the question? You can't put cows in a cage, feed them overly well, than kill them and call it 'Veal' You can have sex with a stranger without protection, get pregnant and then kill the child because you don't want the responsibility of raising it. What's the moral right here? Why is personal pleasure, sexual gratification, a stronger message than procreation. The Human sexual experience is solely for the purpose of making more humans. It's nice if it feels good, but that is secondary to the purpose. Who disagrees?

That obviously leads to the next question, that of homosexuality. Personally, I don't care what two people do in the privacy of their own homes. However, I don't want you to take it to the schools and attempt to influence children that it's alright or even okay. Civilization has rules and I don't think sexual activity should be openly a part of that. Don't tell me that your sexual lifestyle is being descrimated against, First, It has no business in the workplace, It has no business in the schools, It has no business anywhere outside of the bedroom. If you push it, you should probably be slapped.

If you swagger at work and fellow workers call you names, stop swaggering. If you want to make a sexual comment in mixed company for the sake of humor, don't, the law calls that sexual harrasment, Your kind made the law.

Freedom is about following the rules, not abandoning them. Freedom is about responsibility for our actions, not excusing them. Freedom is being a part of society, and in some incidents not, Freedom understands that responsibilty is personal but it is not about denying Freedom to others. In order for everyone to be free, we must unselfishly allow everyone else to be free and live within the rules of our society, and that is the hardest task of all. When we find that median, that middle ground, that place where we can all agree, We'll smile, laugh, wonder what took so long and live happily ever after. I hope.

John Naughton 4 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Jones, After reading your posts of Nov. 7th, I am asking you, again, to stick to your opinion and not attack others for theirs.... period.

PB, sorry this took so long to respond. I am not Catholic. I am a Christian who believes in the Apostles Creed. I believe that all "human life" is sacred and necessary for the survival of the human race. I trust my heart. I trust my Lord. I reject attacks on my person because they are not attacks on me but on my belief and that is God's concern, not mine. And further, Robert Jones, ie: Papa Bear, I forgive your fruitless attempts to bring my personal life into your debate to make your point. We don't agree, that's obvious. but I will not go digging up your life on the public records section of the world. I will not try to find a way to discredit who you are and I will not respond to you any further because I'm told I should not cast my pearls before swine. That sir is a personal affront and I stand by it and will live with consequences.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.