The Future For Most Americans: Pathetic Jobs, Bad Debts And A Crappy Economy

Comments

Dan Varnes 2 years, 7 months ago

If your job here in the Rim Country disappeared next week, would you just go out and get another, equivalent one?

Ya' really think so?

GREAT ARTICLE:

"Sorry to break this to you, but the future for most Americans is going to be pretty crappy. Unless you are independently wealthy, the chances are good that you will have a low paying job, that you will be drowning in a sea of bad debts and that you will have to go on government assistance at some point.

Most American families are completely dependent on their jobs for income and right now, good jobs are disappearing at a frightening pace. Over the last couple of decades, millions of high paying manufacturing jobs have been shipped out of the country and they are being replaced by low paying service jobs.

Small business creation is being absolutely crushed by the federal government and millions of illegal immigrants have been allowed into the country. They're now competing for the limited number of jobs that are still available. "

The REST of the article:
http://tinyurl.com/3z4ej6b

Pat Randall 2 years, 7 months ago

Maybe to many people have lived beyond thier means for to many years and now it is catching up with them. They need to learn to live on less income.
I know when my kids grew up and got married they wanted all the same things my husband and I had worked over 25 years for and they aren't the only ones. Look around you at the young people that have a house payment, two vehicles, then the toys, a boat 2 or 3 TVs. 4 wheelers, boats, jet skis and guns, bows and arrows. If you don't believe that drive around town and see how many are parked in front of houses with 4 sale signs on them. The houses, cars and toys. Probably only the guns were paid for when bought. It was about 5 yrs. before my husband and I both had a vehicle so he rode with someone to work or drove a company vehicle. We were in our 40s before the first boat. I was over 50 when I bought my first Wave Runner. I saved my money and paid cash for it. Learn to live within your means enjoy what you have. Don't envy your neighbor. Get up off your rear and take a lower paying job and do a good job where ever you work. A better one will come a long. Remember you did not pay into unemployment, your employer paid every penny of it. Have a nice day.

Pat, if they would have had easy credit in your day, the whole mess would have started much, much sooner. It takes a will of steel to resist spending when it's so damn easy to do with that little plastic card.

What year did you get your first credit card? My parents got theirs in 1980 and they're 15 years older than you are.

We got ours in the late 70's. Very seldom use it, pay balance each month. Now let me explain why we have one. My husband, daughter and I landed at the San Francisco airport with $8000. cash and not one rental car agency at the airport would rent us a car even tho we had made reservations for one at Avis rent a car. We didn't have a credit card. We had to get to the medical center at Stanford Univ. so called a rental agency off the airport. They came and picked us up. Asked us where we were staying in Palo Alto. Said we didn't know. Asked how long we would be there. Said we didn't know. They asked for our airline tickets and said to call them when we got a motel and when we found out how long we would be there. We did. When we were finished at Stanford we took the car back and they drove us back to the airport. Now for the best part about this car rental. I had left my camera in the car and didn't think of it until I received it in the mail about a week later. It was about a $300. camera. Aztec Rental Cars are the best !

We did have a Standard Oil credit card for many years when we had a construction co. but got rid of it. I don't see anything wrong with using cash. If you don't have the money to buy something now how are you going to pay it a month from now?

Credit cards are pure convenience. You're right about the car rental. Sometimes, there is no other choice.

I do love my credit card because it allows me to pay for gas at the pump instead of going inside the store and waiting for some person in front of me that wants to buy lottery tickets. And cat food. And a lite beer. And...

Cash is best for most other transactions. Long live CASH!

I hate going to the food stores or Walmart as I always get behind some idiot with coupons, credit card, or a check. The credit card has to be shoved thru the machine two or three times and they always wait until every thing is totaled then start digging for coupons, credit card or checkbook. If you know you are going shopping, go to the bank and get some cash. If using a check have it all made out except for the amount.

I was behind a woman one day that had 3 credit cards rejected and she stood there and told the cashier she needed to call her husband to see why they were rejected. She made 2 calls on her cell phone before she found her husband while more people were getting in line to check out. She finally dug cash out of her purse as the credit cards were maxed out. Nearest I ever felt like choking someone. She was rude, stupid and any other words I can think of for holding up the line like she did. Cash only checkout and no cell phones in the store would be ideal.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.