Are Political Party affiliations coming to an end?

Comments

Dan Haapala 2 years, 5 months ago

It was 1954 or maybe 55 when I first heard a childhood rhyme that ciruculated through our elementary school. It went like this, "Stevenson's a jerk, Stevenson's a jerk, Eisenhower's got the power, Stevenson's a Jerk." The truth was Adlai E. Stephenson was a great American, granted a Democrat but still. Stephenson said, "A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular." That doesn't sound like political correctness to me. Stephenson served as an Ambassor and a representative to the United Nations and always put his Country first when it was right. He stood for principal and righteousness until his dying day. Those Democrats are few and far between. Dwight Eisenhower warned of the Military establishment and cautioned us against allowing it to become to big. That Republican stood against a mind set that would allow the military to become too powerful and take over the rule of law. Eisenhower was our heroic General of WWII, four stars and then Commander in chief., By the way, he did not support his Vice President when he ran for office in 1960, Nixon.

From that time on, politics left the back room, left the kitchen table, left the meeting hall and became the property of the fifth estate. The media has told us who are the good guys, who are the bad guys, and they have spelled out how to divide our allegiance between us.They have worked to end our "one nation under God" to become "one nation divided by poitical correctness, with justice for none and liberty only for the politically elite." There are currently candidates for the highest office in the land, who would rebuke the two party system and get back our freedom. Part of me is in sympathy with that. There are candidates today who say 'let's fix the system and not tear it down just make some important changes that we will have to learn to live with." I voted for Ross Periot in 1996 because he was right. I was wrong. The good thing was that Republicans controlled the Congress and kept the Democratic President in check. Heck they even made him more popular than he had a right to be. Let's stop being blind to the needs of our Country for the sake of the "party" that we choose, in order to vote. continued:

Dan Haapala 2 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just be Americans, disagree, but not be disagreeable, find a path that takes us all to the place we'd like to be. I'm no Pollyanna, I know it's not easy to say stop, maybe I just need to know that the other side is really willing to sit down and say, on this we agree, on this we don't, let's make the agree the path we take and work on the disagree. I am a Republican, who would rather be just an American, who is Independent of a hierarchy that dictates my choice. I am a Democrate who believes in the power of the vote because fairly done, it represents the voice of the Electorate. I am an Independent, because I resent and reject both parties who would control my life with their rules. I am a Libertarian because I believe this Country is special because of it's Constitution and that freedom is more important than life. I am an American. I want that to continue to mean something important in the World.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.