Why companies in the US will not hire and may shed workers

Comments

Tim Fruth 2 years, 4 months ago

This comes from one of the many blogs I read. I find it most interesting and #4 in the points should be considered at the local level. In other words, I'm not smart enough to come up with but Jeff has legit points as summarized from another blog by the Agurban.

"Jeff Thredgold points out some key reasons why companies in the United States may want to shed some workers or, at the very least, not hire any new workers. Some highlights of his piece, Disincentives...Another Update, are noted here: 1. Higher and higher health care costs for employees, with more and more complex and costly government mandates to come. New information about all of the "hoops" that need to be jumped through by employers in order to avoid penalties or fines makes it simpler to look to shed workers, rather than to add new employees. 2. Potential "cap and trade" legislation to boost business costs. The point that business people and consumers around the globe have largely embraced the idea of using energy more wisely, of building LEED-qualified buildings, of driving more fuel efficient cars, of using towels again in a hotel by hanging them up instead of throwing them on the floor. This voluntary effort is much more powerful than having government tell us what to do. 3. Employers see sharply higher taxes on the horizon, one more impediment to new job creation. Successful employers see higher income tax rates coming, higher dividend tax rates coming, higher capital gains tax rates coming, and a variety of new taxes on investment income. Why bother to know yourself out? 4. Many states and local communities are imposing and will impose greater costs on local businesses as a means of generating greater "fee" income to help offset declines in sales taxes, property taxes, and income taxes. Many already high-cost states will simply drive their most valued businesses across state borders to more "business friendly" environs. 5. Business owners and managers are fearful of government out of control when it comes to budget deficits, and fear the longer-term implications on our children and grandchildren. The government announced in recent days a budget deficit for fiscal year 2011 just ended of $1.3 trillion, slightly exceeding the deficit of the prior year. That results in a budget deficit of roughly $150,000,000 every 60 minutes! Deficits exceeding $1 trillion annually exist for as far as the eye can see. "

Pat Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Why do we keep sending money to foreign countries? Do we owe it to them and if so for what? Will someone explain please? I know, I am another dumb housewife that doesn't understand things or so we have been told.

Had an E-mail the other day G.E. is closing plants here and moving to Bejing.

Tim Fruth 2 years, 4 months ago

More concerning to me than sending money to foreign countries is the fact that we are sending jobs and companies to foreign countries which means in the long run we will sending way more than foreign aid. Should be a top concern of anybody who cares about our country. The issue is much more than just "corporate greed" and it will impact all of our businesses if we don't figure it out.

Pat Randall 2 years, 4 months ago

Stop importing. Lets start farming and raising cattle, mining, drilling for oil and building what we need. Stop selling real estate to non citizens. Large companies or indivdiuals. Look on the cans of meat you buy and see where it came from. Argentina is a big exporter of canned beef products. Don't buy from American companies unless they are in the USA. How is that Tim? Of course it will put a stop to all the electronic toys for a while. Oh well, people will learn to talk to each other face to face and do something besides sit in front of a computer or tv getting obese. Life wasn't all that bad when I was growing up here in Payson. People lived longer too. Did physical things instead of sitting on thier rears pushing buttons and eating fast food or microwave food. Ate good healthy things they grew and cooked at home.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.