Amish hair cutting

Comments

Kim Chittick 2 years, 3 months ago

I have been following the stories on the news about the Amish community in Ohio, which had several men arrested for attacks on other Amish. It seems that one of the groups leaders felt that some of the followers were not properly following God's (his) dictates. So he had some of his other followers make a night time home invasion on the recalcitrant members and cut the hair and beards of the men, as well as the hair of some women. Evidently hair is very significant to their beliefs. During the attack, scalps were bloodied. The argument against these men and the ringleader being prosecuted is that this is an internal church based disciplinary action and that criminal law has no right intruding on church based actions. Should this argument be determined to be valid; God help us all. This would open the door for Muslims to get Sharia law accepted within our borders. Whether it is the Amish, Muslims or any other religious group, so long as they reside within the borders of these United States, it is incumbent upon them to abide by the rules, regulations, and laws that govern each and every one of us here in America. This attack within the Amish community was not a simple faith based disciplinary action; it was assault, it was trespassing, it was holding a person or persons against their will, it was retaliation by a vicious, devious and demented man; and it should be prosecuted as such.

frederick franz 2 years, 1 month ago

Well said Kim. It seems like the Amish are not the only religious group which has a fetish about hair. Orthodox Jews seem to like to dress in black and have long uncut hair.

I'd like to open a barber shop and offer free crew cuts to these people who think that they are directed by god.

Nancy Volz 2 years, 1 month ago

Christians believe they are directed by God. Do they get free haircuts, too?

Pat Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

Some churches do not want the women to wear any kind of makeup. Others women wear long dresses. No one has the right to force them to do it. I believe the men who cut the hair should be prosecuted. I think charged with assault would be a reasonable charge.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.